77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

jbcurt00

Staff member
Before it cures, mineral spirits should help clean up any mess left behind when using 4200/5200

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
5200 is not so affectionately called "Pelican Poop" and yeah it's really messy. We usually don't go into much detail about it so the new guys get the full effect. :lol:

The best way to keep the mess to a minimum is to put down some frog tape first, apply, then peel it off before setting and the mess is gone.

wheeldriver

Seaman
A tip on 5200, once you open a tube up it will begin to harden quickly in the tube and become unusable. A tip I got and used was after each use put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. It will last a few months vs days or weeks, just dont let the wife find it in there.

Watermann

A tip on 5200, once you open a tube up it will begin to harden quickly in the tube and become unusable. A tip I got and used was after each use put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer. It will last a few months vs days or weeks, just dont let the wife find it in there.

Unless of course you have your very own fridge/freezer in the garage for all your "supplies". :D

IMAG0294.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Got some work and cookin done yesterday. Smoked some ring neck ducks from this past season. Marinated in some yoshida's teryaki style sauce then smoked 4 hours with apple and cherry wood chips.

Transom knee brace is in.

Used two pop rivets in the transom knee brace to the hull, then one to plug the outside hole near the arrow.

Last edited:

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Working on a Tin Starcraft and Smoking Meat just go together. The glasser guys can't do it because of all the dust! I smoked a seasoned prime rib roast with Solid oak from Napa valley last week. Been eating on it week!

That is the best damn piece of beef I've ever had in my life.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Working on a Tin Starcraft and Smoking Meat just go together. The glasser guys can't do it because of all the dust! I smoked a seasoned prime rib roast with Solid oak from Napa valley last week. Been eating on it week!

That is the best damn piece of beef I've ever had in my life.

I threw out the duck and want to go get a prime rib roast now.... j/k the duck tasted outstanding, the picture of the prime rib has my mouth watering! I cooked some babyback ribs and italian sausage yesterday too. Sausage is easy, but my ribs turned out mouth watering also. 4 hours low and slow in the oven then a quick flash grill over charcoal with some sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. Im getting hungry again.

Watermann

Oak you guys have my pudgy gut rumbling for more chow. :hungry:

I love to smoke venison (deer or elk) with some hickory/mesquite mix and yeap it goes very well with tin work.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Carp, I just got back from dinner and now I'm apparently starving to death based on the tummy rumbling and grumbling :facepalm:

Nice looking main courses!

Nope, glass guys gotta work on opposite sides of the house, and the neighbors tend to stare if you're standing at the grill wearing a full tyvek suit and carrying a respirator.... cue Breaking Bad sound track ;)

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
All the talk and pics of grilled and smoked meat is making me hungry guys! I resisted the urge to fire up the smoker today, but tomorow night I'll throw a fatty on.. Yumm

IMG_0708.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
shouldnt have slept in today, it was sunny and probably could have got the gluvit done. I did however wash the inside out and found one leak I forgot to fix so I threw a pop rivet in there. Might have one more small leak to fix better under the knee brace. Also bought another angle piece to run along the side to support the floor. That idea is still in the maybe phase.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
So I know a post is no good with out pics for an update. The two red circles are two leaks I saw from underneath after I scrubbed the inside out in preparation for gluvit. The one on the left I had marked but completely forgot about doing the the transom and knee brace stuff. Drilled it out the goobered 5200 on a pop rivet and that should be done. The red circle on the right I thought I had patched good being where it was with jb weld. Well it leaked still. So drilled that out and in goes a goobered pop rivet. Luckily when I drilled from the hole up I saw daylight and it wasnt on the inside of the knee brace like I thought it would be.

The yellow circle is the reason I slept in and couldnt get the gluvit done. There were more than two ofcourse. Might have to get rid of that fridge if this boat is ever gonna be complete.

Anyone know where furrylittleotter moved his shindig too?

20150421_205904_resized.jpg

Watermann

Interesting place for there to be a hole where it's located along the rib was that where someone drilled or corrosion?

I usually save the beer for at or near the end of the planned work so I don't get side tracked or injured. :lol:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Interesting place for there to be a hole where it's located along the rib was that where someone drilled or corrosion?

I usually save the beer for at or near the end of the planned work so I don't get side tracked or injured. :lol:

It was a pitted hole. The leak itself came from a tinu tiny pin hole. Thats why I drilled it out hoping to maybe get most of the corrosion in there out. There is no saving beer round here. Its pretty much like a horned rhino in africa. Its an endangered species once its in this house.

Decker83

Commander
I guess I was late for dinner..:faint2:
Need to stoke up the firebox on mine now..
Looks like your getting the rivets down.. Nice work...

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Decker just post the picks of your finished product!

Anyone opposed to, or is there a reason why I shouldnt try applying gluvit indoors at night?

dozerII

Admiral
Decker just post the picks of your finished product!

Anyone opposed to, or is there a reason why I shouldnt try applying gluvit indoors at night?

No problem doing the Gluvit indoors , just it smells a little, no a lot like dog crap when it's curing:painkiller:

64osby

Admiral
I do know that outdoors at night with lights close by will get you Jurassic Park effect.