77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Hunt was great this morning! got a banded woody hen from NY!

Now for the bad...... Prop hit something and the motor died. Had a heck of a time gettin it running again but couldnt throttle up with out it dying. So I had to idle 2 miles back to the ramp. Once out of the water with it in foward I can turn the prop by hand and there is a clink noise just foward of the prop in the lower unit. Prop seal looks fine too. Looks like its back to hunting in the Kayak!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Check the lower unit oil for any metal. Hitting something with the prop shouldn't make a motor not run unless the flywheel key sheared and it's out of time now.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Check the lower unit oil for any metal. Hitting something with the prop shouldn't make a motor not run unless the flywheel key sheared and it's out of time now.

Is the timing hard to do if that is the case? Im hoping the LU didnt get thrashed. But my dad mentioned timing, and with you bringing it up again I guess I was thinking like it was missing when I would get it started for very short periods. Finally when it ran enough to idle in it sounded like a perfect motor until I would attempt any throttle on it. I dont really have much time to poke around with this right now unfortunately. Ill have to read up a bit before taking this one on.

At least the hunt was a great morning trip so im not even soured about the whole motor thing. It could have been worse.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
After looking more into timing i decided to call a mech a buddy knows and uses. Ill get it to him after thanksgiving for a troubleshooting to see the damage done. Hope for the best. This is just too much for me to take on my own between knowledge and the right tools on hand.

Decker83

Commander
Good to hear about the hunting part. If the flywheel key is bent or sheared, it's not to big of a job to fix.. I have had this happen on a old 70 hp rude before..
Have to loosen the flywheel nut and pull the flywheel off the crank and replace the key.. Bolt it back together and be on your way.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The slow 2 mile idle back to the ramp pic. Couldnt budge the throttle at all or it would die.

20161119_082346_resized.jpg

Hunting buddy Ive hunted with last year out of kayaks made it out for the first hunt. just enjoying the "maybe we will make it back" ride to the ramp.

20161119_082334_resized.jpg

This was the first days reward. Mine is on the left. A banded hen from NY. Friend got the other two.

Resized_20161119_090620.jpeg
Since yesterday was the first banded duck I ever shot in over 20 yrs of hunting, It got even more crazy when I got my 3 duck woody limit with a banded drake! This one made it down here to GA from Ohio. My shooting was a lil better today.

20161120_065827_resized.jpg

Watermann

Oh man good thing you didn't get a stiff head wind on the way back in.

Nice haul on the ducks, a few more and you'll have a meal. :lol:

That looks like an 870 to me, I've got few of them 2 `12's and a 20.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Oh man good thing you didn't get a stiff head wind on the way back in.

Nice haul on the ducks, a few more and you'll have a meal. :lol:

That looks like an 870 to me, I've got few of them 2 `12's and a 20.

Yep. Old 870 20 guage wingmaster an uncle gave me when i started hunting.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Dropped old girl off at the mechanic today. Hopin for cheap good news when it comes!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
On another note. That last 22 fter is still in the same lot. Might have to swing in and check on the sale options for it again!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Picked boat up today. Have to wait for more budgeting to go further. Mechanic couldnt get it to run again. Said one cylinder was not firing and the plug was nasty? Hes thinking needs a new switch box. Im reading up on it and im thinking maybe trigger and stator while im at it? All new lingo as far as my skills go.

But for those who know.... could hitting something with the prop cause this? Or more likely me trying to start it forever after hitting said thing? Might explain why i could only idle in running with one cylinder down?

jbcurt00

Staff member
........ Mechanic couldnt get it to run again. Said one cylinder was not firing and the plug was nasty? Hes thinking needs a new switch box. Im reading up on it and im thinking maybe trigger and stator while im at it? All new lingo as far as my skills go.

But for those who know.... could hitting something with the prop cause this? Or more likely me trying to start it forever after hitting said thing? Might explain why i could only idle in running with one cylinder down?

Might ask over in your Merc motor topic

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Might ask over in your Merc motor topic

Took that advice and along with a merc fan group on face book this is where i am at:

I borrwed compression tester from neoghbor and had 100. 100. 100. And 95-100 on cyl 4. Apparently all good to work with.

Next came getting new plugs (srore only had 2) and a spark plug tester thing. All wires had spark. So since the mech said cyl 4 had no spark i put a new plug in there and fired her up on the hose. She started so fast it actually scared me! But the next issue i had was i saw water? Trickling out maybe the top 3 cylinders through the spark plug threads!?!

Quick message to dad about the good/bad news and he once again tells me be carefull about the pressure in the hose. So i cracked it open with now the 2nd of my new plugs up in cyl 1. It fired right away and this time only a tiny drop of water was seen in top cylinder plug threads.

So good news is shes running and idleing sounding puuuurrrty! But i need to solve this water thing!

So far through the threads its leaning towards water jacket/gasket?

Anyhow thats where im at now! Atleast shes runnin!

Watermann

That's most likely an exhaust gasket, you're lucky the motor didn't hydro lock and destroy itself.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
That's most likely an exhaust gasket, you're lucky the motor didn't hydro lock and destroy itself.

Hydro lock makes me think Wmann. I hydro locked my old 7.3 powerstroke changin glow plugs. Pulled an injector out with out drainin the rails.... Anyhow. now I wonder if my hard starting/starter flywheel wouldnt go right off the bat because it was (semi) Hydro lockin? Makes sense actually. Becuase after a long period of attempting to start it, the starter would finally spin the flywheel and it would fire right up!

With that said. Maybe the compression test pushed enough stuff out with the plugs out to make it fire right away and scare the begeebeez out of me? but that makes me think what gettin in the cylinder to hydro lock it unlike my diesel and it was me removing an injector? HHmmmmm,,,,,,

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Should this work for puttin the bolts back in after the gasket? or should I find something marine specific?

20161225_110230_resized.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Thanks wmann. I didnt even think to check online. Checked and scanned the bottle when bought and didnt see marine use on it. Its probably there somewhere.

Brackett221

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use this on ever bolt to Al. threads.and stainless too! Good stuff! :happy: Ever spark plug I replace has id on the threads!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use this on ever bolt to Al. threads.and stainless too! Good stuff! :happy: Ever spark plug I replace has id on the threads!

Just make extra sure you don't get any of the anti seize on the face of the plug. Threads only.