77' 16ft Starcraftt ss

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
This is a boat I am fixing up for hunting boat. Plans are to go with a tiller motor. I dont think Ill take it down to bare aluminum to repaint. Just sand down, clean and primer and paint, or just paint. So far its gutted and the just got the transom out of it. Ill have more pics up later. Probably with some questions and opinions for those with the know how.
20150107_1459161_resized.jpg 20150107_1459491_resized.jpg 20150222_170624_resized.jpg 20150222_170615_resized.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, transom mulch is in season this spring:
fetch

Welcome to the dry dock at iboats, Tin division. The fellas in the tin hats :tinfoil3: will be along shortly to assist and harass you in equal measures. You've staved off the mob by posting pix and plans right away.

Do you plan to modify the current splashwell to be more tiller friendly?

16ft should be a good hunting platform. Congrats!

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
the deck was fiber glassed over wood and really sealed good all the way around. Unfortunately It was rotting from the bottom of the wood up. The white foam was pretty dry overall. It was packed good and shaved to fit in there tight, could that have been the original stuff? the was yellow spray type foam along the outside seams too, that stuff was like a sponge. probably what held the moisture for the rotting to occur. the transom looked well built too, but that was also saturated with water and rotten. It looked like it never even had a motor on it since it was redone. It must have sat with a ton of rain water in it, or had sat submerged for a bit. Either way, its coming along. My plan is to have a 35-40 hp tiller on it in the end. By I do still have the merc controls and cables in case I go back to a side console.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The white styro bead foam may have been original if it was chunks and not shaped from 1"+/- sheets. Even if it seems to be dry and good shape, I wouldn't try to reuse it. It often starts to shed little white beads that can clog up any limber holes and get loose into the bilge (and pump).

Fiberglassed topside of the deck was definitely a PO mod, as were the spray foam and the change to pedestal seats. If it sat uncovered (looks that way) the water may have found some other way into the plywood, but IMO, if the bottom and edges of the plywood deck had been well sealed, the deck might not be completely rotten.

It cleaned out pretty good.

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Yep, transom mulch is in season this spring:
fetch

Welcome to the dry dock at iboats, Tin division. The fellas in the tin hats :tinfoil3: will be along shortly to assist and harass you in equal measures. You've staved off the mob by posting pix and plans right away.

Do you plan to modify the current splashwell to be more tiller friendly?

16ft should be a good hunting platform. Congrats!

I was going to remove the splash well, But then sitting on it, I may be able to leave it there and support it a little more for my weight to use it as a seat. It will depend on which motor i end up with and the till length. Might try to flush mount a seat right on it. I will have to see when that time comes.

Thanks for the welcome.

Ive seen some amazing restores on this model in this site, and I am almost ashamed not to put it back original. So chopping this one a bit isn't meant to upset the faithful followers and masses.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
The white styro bead foam may have been original if it was chunks and not shaped from 1"+/- sheets. Even if it seems to be dry and good shape, I wouldn't try to reuse it. It often starts to shed little white beads that can clog up any limber holes and get loose into the bilge (and pump).

I wanted to reuse some, but my dad talked me out of it. Im hearing the blue or pink board is the way to go. Not to sure about the pool noodle thing though. Ive seen them water logged and dry rotted. But maybe under a deck and boat kept covered when not in use they will hold up?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
20150224_074742_resized_1.jpg

This is a pic inside of the bow, Looks like fiberglass/resin glob of stuff. Do you think I should grind it out or is it a factory glob of stuff I should leave alone? I could just wait till I fill it to check for leaks too?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Get that bow area as clean as you can and repost a pix of it, I suspect it isn't factory sealant, but I suppose it might be. A good cleanup might make it more obvious factory or PO.

NO POOL NOODLES below deck, your dad's advice is good: Use rigid sheet foam below decks. If you want to tuck noodles up under the gunwales or other odd shaped places rigid foam won't fit very well, but only above decks. For the reasons you mentioned:
Not to sure about the pool noodle thing though. Ive seen them water logged and dry rotted.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I just went out and scraped that bow area cleaner, didnt take a pic but it was just extra resin they must have poured there. now it looks like the original black sealer in that spot. Cant get much more done for awhile. Weather is rainy so I cant start sanding down the outside, and I need to get a pressure washer for the inside.

To hit every rivet and seams with gluvit, how much of it should I need to cover a 16fter? I know Ive read it somewhere.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
I just finished putting gluvit on my 16' SS yesterday. I was able to hit every rivet and seam with the 1 quart can with just a little bit to spare that will be poured down the front bow seam.

The pressure washer is a great idea. I ended up pressure washing mine a couple times.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
1 qrt it is then. Thanks

Another question, Im looking into pressure washers, rent vs buying. Is there a pressure preffered to get it cleaned out? I see less expensive electric models with lower PSI (under 2000) and then of course they go up price from there. I got a price for a rental and I might as well just buy one but I dont want to go overkill in both price and pressure. Other than the boat only thing ill need it for would be the siding on the house.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You could always just trailer the boat to the local car wash.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You could always just trailer the boat to the local car wash.

Yep, done that

I sure do like the rotary head 3500psi pressure washer hooked up to the hot water tank at work too :cool:

Having used several sizes of gas pressure washers, and a handful of electric ones, I won't ever own an electric one unless it is solely for washing the car in the driveway spring/summer/fall.....

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Found this in another post on here from Mark_V......:

1] scuff sand entire boat with a sanding sponge to ensure it is smooth
2] scrub boat with soap and water and rinse well
3] wipe down THOROUGHLY with white vinegar and let dry
4] paint Rustoleum (thinned out some) with a good natural bristle brush - two coats. Let dry well and then wet sand LIGHTLY with 400 wet and dry paper. Tack off dust etc with a clean cotton rag and paint thinner, then brush on third and final coat with very clean brush

Since this will be a hunting boat and ran into sawgrass/brush and everything else on the water, these are my next steps. the outside of the whole boat is white now, Ill be goin for a green, brown, or tan on the outside. Im hoping to get it off the trailer and start sanding away this weekend. Maybe even today.

Majority of the white paint is on it pretty good. Only small areas where I can see it is bubbling/peeling. So I will be hitting those areas good and feathering out. Ill probably hit around every rivet good too. Ill post pics if I actually get to it. Two little girls under 3 keep me tied up pretty good on the off days.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Got it off the trailer, Hull looks like it never hit a rock in its 30 something years, There are a few different sealers and stuff in the seams. Im thinking its just preventive attempts at sealing it. got one good scrub down on it before the kids woke up from nap time also. Ill start playing with sanding and wire wheels later hopefully. 20150227_123240_resized.jpg 20150227_124500_resized.jpg 20150227_124623_resized.jpg 20150227_124633_resized_1.jpg

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
ok, closer look look revealed 2 areas on bottom of the hull that will need attention. What do you fill small holes (not through hull) with? As of now I see two near the rear of the bottom of the hull. one looks almost like a flaw in aluminum, one looks like a grinder went to far on a bad spot. ill try and get a good pic.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
the black whole is like a void whole, the lower one looks like an old grind gone bad to me.

20150227_162053_resized.jpg 20150227_162103_resized.jpg 20150227_162129_resized.jpg 20150227_162214_resized.jpg