1985 22' Islander with 235 Evinrude outboard.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hey, I'd drop this over in the Starcraft forum if you want lots of traffic from SC guys, but it looks like a 22ft OB Islander should be rated for a 240hp OB:

rolmops

Vice Admiral
In a few weeks, when we can see over the snow again, I'll be looking to buy this 22' Islander with a 1984 235 horse Evinrude outboard. This seems to be quite a lot of engine for an aluminum boat,or is it the right size? My current 19 foot Islander (I finally fixed all the electronic problems) with it's 140 I/O seems to shorten my fishing season because of the more involved winterizing and my fear of frozen blocks so I want to change back to outboard.
How is the Islander with an outboard? Is it better than with I/O or is it not so good?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I should have said, have a MOD move it for you, but anyway:
Hey, I'd drop this over in the Starcraft forum if you want lots of traffic from SC guys, but it looks like a 22ft OB Islander should be rated for a 240hp OB:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That 235 is more OB motor than we normally see on Islanders that size. From what they say running 80% of max HP is optimum but I don't see anything wrong with pushing it up to max on a boat that has a solid structure and isn't compromised by 30 years of neglect or abuse.

Then again I have 205 HP in a shorter Chief. :D

I can see a huge difference in fuel consumption over the 140. I agree with you about having an OB fishing boat for cold weather and winterizing. I think that Islander will be a great platform with the OB.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think a 235 on the back of a 22' Islander is perfect. :D With a smaller motor it will take longer to get on plane. Sure it will burn more fuel than your current 140 IO, but what the hey.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
My dad had a 225 'rude on a bracket pushing a 24' Mako walkaround. Much heavier than a 22' Islander obviously, and it got going pretty good...mid 30's I think.

Just bear in mind that they didn't call it the two-"thirsty"-five for nothing :lol:. But you'll be on plane in about three seconds! I push my 18'er with a puny 70hp no sweat...but it's no speed boat.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
The two of you could go Tin Boat Racing.:D

That is sacrilege!

Anyway,funny that you should mention this racing thing. Competition salmon fishing on Lake Ontario often means having to run 20 to 30 miles to where the fish are and moving at 40 knots as opposed to 20 can increase actual fishing time by almost 2 hours. This gives us a better chance to win some price money. If we win enough,we might for once cover our expenses and fish a tournament for free.

Last edited:

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure what the chop looks like on Lake Ontario rolmops, but you'll beat the snot out of your nose going 40 knots. :D

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
2e4b7zr.jpg

lake Ontario knows how to get ugly!!!!!!!!

bob

airshot

Rear Admiral
My 22' Islander says a max hp of 200 hp on the BIA plate. That 235 may be a bit much. High speed in a chop will damage the hull if it has not done so already