1967 Starchief

Fireball77

Cadet
Alright, not sure I'm in the right area as I've never done a forum before... I read many post but cannot find my answer...

Anyways, I have 1967 Starcraft Starchief that was my fathers. Spent about a month getting the engine running and finally purrs like a little baby kitten. So I've started working on the cosmetic stuff and took out the front cabin lexan window (unfortunately, it actually came out in many pieces).

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement window? I saw another guy (wrfalpacas)(page 14 of the forum) got one but he never said where. I even tracked him down on youtube but he hasn't been on there in years.

Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard. Moved this to a new thread for ya. Nice hardtop!

Click my username and send a private message with a more family friendly username. We can change it for you. Thanks.

No snow - ICE, JB. I'll take :smow: any day. And less power flickers, too. :doh:

Fireball77

Cadet
Home made hard top looks pretty well done, did your father construct it?

I was wanting to see if our local Tin looney bin moderator GA Boater thought it would be good to move this out to the Starcraft forum in your own thread. For some reason not everyone sees or checks on this thread.

Yea, the old man did all the metal work but I remember like it was yesterday spending what seemed like a year putting in all those stainless screws and nuts. I'll get some close up pics tomorrow once the suns out. The roof is super strong I use to sit up there and fish.

Fireball77

Cadet
No Title

photo215585.jpg
Planning on replacing all gauges.

photo215586.jpg
I'm going to try cleaning the tinted lexan windows with toothpaste.

photo215587.jpg
Hard top is super strong!

photo215590.jpg
I'm working on getting the front window just right.... I'd really rather buy one. Anybody know from where?

photo215589.jpg
I used a defrost heating element from a GE refrigerator to make bend in the lexan window. Stretched it out from 7" to about 20" and sat on window. I got the bend I wanted but it was too much heat and made lots of bubbles.

Attachments

• photo215584.jpg
    photo215584.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo215588.jpg
    photo215588.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sorry to say that the forum software doesn't handle photos very well so most of use photobucket to upload our pics and then paste the photos link code into the post. I went through all the pics and your captions in the forum format. Thinking out of the box for the windshield bend method :thumb:

A couple of thoughts after seeing the pic below. The transom appears to me to be the original due to the look of the paint. Plywood getting on 50 years old should be replaced. Could you post a pic of the outdrive on her, that color of blue paint on the motor is familiar.

fetch

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice Starchief Fireball! I like the hardtop. We need more pictures :)

I agree with Waterman... you better check that transom real good.

Fireball77

Cadet
Watermann, yea, the transom is rotted along the edge on bottom and port side. I wasn't looking forward to pulling the engine but I know I should. I keep telling myself that it's only 20% rotted.

Photobucket it is!

The trim all works good. Up/down, left/right.

In 2006 I took her to a boat shop with top half of new engine and told them to just fix it along with the trim, outdrive etc... They said "Are you sure?". 5K later I got her back and everything worked good. Took her out a few times and then she sat from 2007 to Dec. 2014 at a buddies house. Finally have a place of my own where it won't get towed and I can actually work on her.

Also, I've been looking for a complete wiring harness from the ignition to the plug at engine that would work. I got a good used wiring harness off ebay for $13 that goes from the plug at engine to starter, coil etc..

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Sitting idle is the worst thing for any boat. They kind of start falling apart. Nothing that can't be fixed, but added expense.

Any problems with the new username, Fireball?

Fireball77

Cadet
I've been gathering needed items here and there. I love switches, probably will have 30 or so once I'm done! I've also got 2 new bilge pumps!! I'm getting excited!!

Fireball77

Cadet
Sitting idle is the worst thing for any boat. They kind of start falling apart. Nothing that can't be fixed, but added expense.

Any problems with the new username, Fireball?

Yea I think the transom is next on the list.
New username works well!! Thanks. I told my gf you guys made me change my username and she sided with you guys!

GA_Boater

She has good taste. :D

The trouble with only seeing 20% rot is the 100% rot you can't see. It's going to be more than you thought when you get the transom pulled.

To add a sig pic, click your username on top of the page, User Settings, Account and Edit Post Signature. You get something like this, just add the words and pic, then Save.

sig.PNG

Fireball77

Cadet

The trouble with only seeing 20% rot is the 100% rot you can't see. It's going to be more than you thought when you get the transom pulled.

To add a sig pic, click your username on top of the page, User Settings, Account and Edit Post Signature. You get something like this, just add the words and pic, then Save.

Awesome! Thanks!

Fireball77

Cadet

Also, yes I'm gonna start work on transom next week.... Wish me luck!