1972 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ho Ho Ho.. Green Giant! :D

Those windshields are a serious PITA. What kind of shape are the T bolts in? Mine were steel and nearly corroded through so they just snapped. I found a super easy way to replace them though.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Alright, I've been trying for now two months to get this boat registered, The story goes I bought it from a guy who owned an indoor storage facility. He rented the spot to an elderly gentleman, after 4 years payments stopped, trying to contact for over a year ended up putting it on craigslist, so I have a valid bill of sale from the man that owns the storage facility, I gave the state of N.C a color glossy photo of the hull number, an etched in piece of paper with the Michigan Reg. on the bow last registered in 08, but there pretty persistent on wanting a title. I have nothing else to offer them. Any Ideas?

I bought a non-titled junk yard boat while in Texas. Texas is also very persistent because of all the thieving. My solution was to go through Colorado for the first registration and then Texas was no problem. Colorado is a non title state and only gives registrations. (I did have a property in CO at the time)

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thank you gentlemen, was sure you notice the effort, I'm now guessing the windshield has been out before the bolts were standard, and they to broke trying to get them out as well, if you look close I had to locate the bolts by sliding in thin scraper till i located the bolt one at a time then drill into the seal to get standard driver to hold the screws then of course they broke. As far as titling am now working with the state of Michigan to send reg. letter to previous owner then after thirty day NC. will title, But i like that option also, also have been looking for a wasted 21ft. hull with a title, but no luck as of yet. The way I see it when a state makes it to complicated to register a boat lawfully, then your going to force your residents to circumvent the right way to register. My last option is use the registration of my little holiday and scratch out the 14'.

starcraft%20004_zpsusrfdmbd.jpg

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dang, all that work and it pretty much looks the same, but its sealed in good and all the holes filled, on to some sheet metal repairs under the bow railings.
024_zpsxlfzk3qb.jpg

Watermann

No easy feat there smev, those windshields are super heavy and a 2 man job for sure. Lookin good from here!

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I totally agree it was looking odd for way to long, but had to find the right day for sealing and needed the second person for install, hard to be on both sides at the same time. Thanks

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I run a 19 pitch prop, loaded heavy and I get 30 mph (gps speed) @ 4,600 rpms. It will shift stiff if the idle is set too high, and if you are tied to the dock. I got a new shift interrupter switch for mine that mounts to the transom that is spring loaded to neutral so it puts some tension on the shift cable until it shifts into neutral. That helped alot. I did not hook the shift interrupter switch up. Idle needs to be set about 650 for it to shift. Mine has shifted like that from day one. with the merc 140 outdrive and sei outdrive, no difference. I have put about 400 hrs on mine in 9 years. 21' cheiftain, 1986 hull, engine/outdrive was a pre alpha 140hp (not original to the boat), now it has a 07 engine and 06 sei outdrive.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, Ive been trying to stay on project but chores are killing me, grass,weeds,dog,little girl,big girl,work,mom,other boats, all that said was able to get bow rail back on with repairs to all 4 points.

IMG_0706_zpsa769700d.jpg

4725DD74-B4B4-4E39-9F61-5527A9E529DB_zpsodwgdq6p.jpg

1FAF1894-604D-464D-A1EE-BC767C0956A5_zpswbscllba.jpg

F84F1F1C-6752-408B-820A-A67FE6BC63ED_zpsezppngni.jpg

Watermann

Cover up and backing plates were a necessity around my Chief too. To keep moving forward is the name of the game with these restos.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cleaning all the aluminum is a task, going thru the scotch-brite at fast rate, getting ready for paint.
368_zpsq7gk9yk5.jpg

369_zpsxtelrvj4.jpg

367_zpsmzhl2ier.jpg

pckeen

Commander
You did that with Scotch Brite? My arms are aching just thinking of the work involved in that. Good on you!:hail:

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, It was an odd, exfoliation type corrosion, kinda weird it was more in cabin than outside, it still has some pits but looks allot better, and now the other half :facepalm:.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok gentelman, its official after 8 months of working toward titling this old chieftain, I got a brand new clear title. Also after requesting the information from the state of Michigan and getting the address of the previous owner and sending certified letter to last known address, waiting almost two months to have letter sent back as unable to be delivered. It is now a 1966 Starcraft Chieftain per Michigan records. Needless to say BIG DAY for me.

221_zpsa0c11d62.jpg

64osby

Admiral
Glad to see you didn't :yield: You were probably :mad2: and :dizzy: and saying :censored:.

Congrats on making it legal :thumb::thumb:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Congrats on getting legal title! Been through that once myself and was fortunate enough to get it done fairly painlessly by selling the boat back to the pawnshop I got it from. After I'd sold the engine off it and stripped it of usable parts. I made out pretty good. :D

The guy was very cooperative when I showed him that the HIN and the title didn't match... including the brand! :lol: