1972 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Started going thru engine, Points plugs condenser, Last registered in "08 The whole fuel system was a complete mess. 3 hours to clean the carb. All new exhaust/cooling gaskets. Thermostat, Oil system, Rigging, Cold night out went for the water Impeller. Trim system work. Other than than that was ready to run run. got it to start about 2am. set timing and it ran perfect.

233_zps9eb2a5f2.jpg

234_zps77880704.jpg

236_zpsc1a4ea31.jpg

240_zpsa39f8914.jpg

Motor work, points,plugs,condensor,3 hrs carb cleaning,watersystem,exhaust,riser,timing,rigging, drains,oil system,alernator,fuel system,trim system etc. - See more at: http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/se....FU1c26Di.dpuf

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
22400365.jpg

Nice work.

Michigan plate and reg numbers, but soft water and a semi enclosed garage tell me you are mid south somewhere.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Burning the midnight oil I see, it's fantastic that you're fortunate enough to have found a Chief in such good condition.

Keep an eye on that hose fitting on the front of the manifold, from the pic it looks like it could need replaced due to the pitting you may have to double clamp that sucker or get a wide band clamp to keep it from leaking on you.

236_zpsc1a4ea31.jpg

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We spent allot of time descaling the inside of water system, And if you notice the neck is black, that's that rust converter you brush on it neutralizes rust, will let you know in a year or two if I BELIEVE IN IT OR NOT. The trailer is rust colored but its more like the rust colored stain bleed thru the white paint so its more stained than flaky rust, When I get the boat off in spring we will paint the trailer,new lights,rollers,found new springs in the boat, repair guides, and get matching sized wheels would be nice. and all new bearings and races. new winch, other than that its a really strong trailer.

221_zpsa0c11d62.jpg

Last edited:

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, just trying to catch up. After we got the motor online needed to test, Found a 55 degree day in January, and went for test run. No chairs, tools only. After resetting timing to 6' and was able to achieve 4000 RPM and 35 MPH. One of my first questions, testing in driveway shifting felt really good, but out on water seemed to bind up little more going thru transition F-N-R and back, needed it to idle way down for clean shift. Have you guys experienced this and best way to rig out? Seems like a balance between idle speed vs.slightly higher timing.

269_zps98876c56.jpg

256_zpsb2d4f8bd.jpg

dozerII

Admiral
Looks real good on the water, Check the stickys in the Mercruiser section for Achris's video on adjusting the lower shift cable. It is very critical to good shifting. If you shift it for a while out of adjustment with too much force you will stretch the lower cable and have to replace it.

Watermann

OK, just trying to catch up. After we got the motor online needed to test, Found a 55 degree day in January, and went for test run. No chairs, tools only. After resetting timing to 6' and was able to achieve 4000 RPM and 35 MPH. One of my first questions, testing in driveway shifting felt really good, but out on water seemed to bind up little more going thru transition F-N-R and back, needed it to idle way down for clean shift. Have you guys experienced this and best way to rig out? Seems like a balance between idle speed vs.slightly higher timing.

269_zps98876c56.jpg

I would hate to meet up in a dark alley with the guy who can lift the back end of that boat with those handles... :lol: They look to be galvanized steel and completely worthless. I have to wonder about why some people go through all the trouble to put those on such large boats?

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quote Waterman
"I would hate to meet up in a dark alley with the guy who can lift the back end of that boat with those handles...
lol.gif
They look to be galvanized steel and completely worthless. I have to wonder about why some people go through all the trouble to put those on such large boats? "

They came stock on the older boats I have them on my Sunchief, used them to attache the watering skiing tow bridle for years. I don't see me and a buddy lifting the back of the Chief with the Merc 1350 on it. :laugh: Forgot to mention that when I got the boat the only cleat was on the bow, I used the handles for years for the stern lines.

Last edited:

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, this is what I have had to deal with last couple weeks. First the ice, backed by a couple snows. Ready for warmer weather.
008_zps81f5xbuj.jpg

IMG_1052_zpsqtcy21ig.jpg

Last edited:

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahhh, "But it got better" was able to mark all the leaks in the cabin, worst ones were under windshield hold down bolts, couldn't get to them, so out came the whole thing, Might as well not even start going thru cabin until you get the leaks fixed.
011_zpsrchjhxxw.jpg

015_zpsrxypvu2y.jpg

026_zps3xdsozdu.jpg

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright, I've been trying for now two months to get this boat registered, The story goes I bought it from a guy who owned an indoor storage facility. He rented the spot to an elderly gentleman, after 4 years payments stopped, trying to contact for over a year ended up putting it on craigslist, so I have a valid bill of sale from the man that owns the storage facility, I gave the state of N.C a color glossy photo of the hull number, an etched in piece of paper with the Michigan Reg. on the bow last registered in 08, but there pretty persistent on wanting a title. I have nothing else to offer them. Any Ideas?

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
you may not like the answer but you need to contact the department that registers and handles boat for North Carolina and ask them about abandoned property .

I suspect the storage place will have to declare it abandoned and handle it how ever North Carolina handles storage and abandoned property

depending on the rules and regs in North Carolina you probably dont own that boat, esp since NC wants old title signed before issuing a new one to you.

Last edited:

Watermann

In WA State if the guy wrote you the bill of sale with no title, our DOL would make you the registered owner in lieu of title for 3 years then they issue the title and it's all yours. Since that boat and trailer had been abandoned here the guy would have had to declare it a hulk, send the last RO a letter and when they didn't respond the hulk inspection form becomes the property owners title.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK over the last week or so was able to strip off the windshield, got it inside and spent hours upon hours grinding surface corrosion, Had over an hour staring thru the bead blaster window, it looks good but more important just feels right again, so all back together. On the dash shot in dozen or so rivets filling holes from all added hardware over the years, so figured might as well paint the dash while glass was off. Went with the oldie but a goodie.
starcraft%20011_zpsjwjsrajs.jpg
starcraft%20013_zpspusyx0c1.jpg
starcraft%20019_zps3qxb7mnp.jpg
starcraft%20036_zps5rkfmf9t.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Windshield looks really good! Great choice of color there as well! :thumb: