1972 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Decking going down is my favorite milestone where things pick up speed after it's in.

There's no part number for a belly tank in your old Chief, you have to have measurements of your space match up to tank. Sometimes you get lucky.

I like that extrusion, looking forward to seeing it, never knew it was a thing.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decking going down is my favorite milestone where things pick up speed after it's in.

There's no part number for a belly tank in your old Chief, you have to have measurements of your space match up to tank. Sometimes you get lucky.

I like that extrusion, looking forward to seeing it, never knew it was a thing.

Oh good was hoping there was a downhill section coming soon. No just kidding, floor coming out one more time, we made a foam cutting machine out of a small regulator an Lipo battery we use in remote control planes, and still working on fuel cell, Will most likely get one fabricated just so i can put fitting where they work best. Thanks again

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got my floor and all drilled got my foam cut, I am going to glue down some vinyl flooring from Lowes it's about an 1/8 thick with an old barn wood look. My question is do you spar the flooring wood before you put down the vinyl? Thanks

Watermann

Yeah you need to seal the ply panels before putting them in the boat and riveting them down.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I seen that when I was looking through your Chief post #592 after I already asked my question, got my girls hitting Lowes on way home, I would guess oil based over water based, and guessing matte over gloss, and i would think about a gallon to do the floor top/bottom say two coats.??

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I seen that when I was looking through your Chief post #592 after I already asked my question, got my girls hitting Lowes on way home, I would guess oil based over water based, and guessing matte over gloss, and i would think about a gallon to do the floor top/bottom say two coats.??

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lowe's sells Rustoleum Marine brand spar varnish, it's with the other boat paints they have. The floor will take a gallon easily, but at least at my Lowes they only sell it in quarts. I did 3 coats. I think some people use the "helmsman" spar urethane which is available in gallons last time I checked. I didn't (and still don't) know what the difference is, and I didn't want to chance it, so I just bought a lot of quarts of the rustoleum spar varnish.

Watermann

Oil based yes and I use the gloss Helmsman spar, I tried the Varathane spar once and it took forever to dry.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks again, I'm on it. Sound like a good weekend job for me.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ok gentlemen, I lost my number one parking position to an above ground pool for the summer, Not impressed I had to walk forever just to work on the boat. Was able to make progress over the summer. Got both benches stripped and ready to be painted, moved the trim block just aft of the throttle quadrant. Found out a fuel cell under floor was to much $$$ priced with two alum. fabricators $650.00. floor and foam down going for vinyl soon. Either way getting back to work.

Attachments

• photo277904.jpg
    photo277904.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 0

smevil010

Cadet
Trying to get back into this, Photobucket quit letting me share my pictures a while back, I have been trying to figure another way. is there any way to go straight from my phone?

smevil010

Cadet
The last post was from a phone, not bad but was going for full picture but it said no to the upload "file to big"??

Watermann

Try using the clipboard icon in the upper right corner of the editor to add your pics, it should work fine no matter size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=10646420.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.86 MB ID:	10646444

smevil010

Cadet
Yea, ok I had to get my wife involved.
I got more pictures, been doing well and will put some down.

Attachments

• IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1