1972 Starcraft Chieftain Restoration

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well going with worlds longest project, but turned out pretty well. Everybody needs a good helm.
022_zpsgoxberi7.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice! The modern radio goes well with the original Mercruiser guages.:encouragement:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That's one sharp helm smevil! The black/white contrast is really cool. It's a part of the restoration that deserves the attention! :thumb:

pckeen

Commander
Don't feel bad about the length of the project. Mine was two years.....for a real simple tin fishing boat. Besides, the project is 90% of the fun.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks gentleman, I will take all those comments as a huge compliment. Thanks again. Now I require a wall to attach said dash to, That one of my major hang-ups I already got the board it called Exteria, Still trying to work out door/wall lay-out, its pretty important, I wish I could find the short screen door but no luck. Still kicking that one around, but still plenty to do for now.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok switched gears for awhile, just to knock out more sanding and getting some primer down while the temps are up. Trying to save cabin work for fall and winter was really nice working in there with just little ceramic heater, it so dang hot working in there even at night. Moved to the transom to fix approx 30+ misc. holes both big/small, got top deck primed and laying out where the things I need on vs. the holes from the gear that came off, so that's another 20+, I haven't been on here lately but spent last couple nights (pre-crash) catching up with all the projects going on, just tying to get ideas/mods and would like to say everybody looking really good, and really impressed with the rate of some of your guys builds.
324_zpsapkeyoz8.jpg

IMG_2867_zpspv6d9mrr.jpg

IMG_2886_zpskhpo30zz.jpg

IMG_2887_zpsi59swxmg.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glad to see you're still at it. I have to ask if the transom wood was original, the white wash SC transoms usually don't make it much over a few decades and that one didn't look bad in the pics before you painted it.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going with original, for as many holes that go thru I am surprised it survived, somebody had mentioned earlier on here about the camping cover had saved it,
I believe that to be true, Had a few boats but never one, even while working in the rain is 95% dry cabin to transom, the other 5% seems to be seeping down the seams, but overall transom seems really solid, one spot down where it sits in alum. but drilled in and felt good wood 1/2" we did engine test before it came apart and seen nothing, so feeling really good about it. Other than the holes, it does looks like a galaxy with the light shinning thru, but got all the rivets shot in already, now working on the bigger holes, right now to be exact. Having a good night.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the pole holders down, cleats and treads. Used an old piece of barn wood, found one falling down just a lite trek thru the woods. Ready to pull it apart and going for paint.
IMG_2936_zpspqbdugh0.jpg

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gentlemen, I have a question. I am installing a teak deck off the back this evening, My question is we already had it up measured fits good, my question is the angle at which it sets, We went with a digital protractor on the floor in the cabin and zeroed it, then moved it to the platform to achieve same angle. It happens to follow the outside gunnel lines almost exact. Plus platform came off an old boat in a junk yard and without adjusting anything all down legs lined up perfect,. I guess my question, is there an exact way of putting on these decks or just run floor line and not so much the water line?

Watermann

Not sure I know of any tin heads that put on a full length platform, only swim ladders that have what I would call a step.

Member Friscoboater did a video series on his swim platform installation.

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, I personally have to agree, but I still need to make it functional for what were doing with it, I got girls so i see them jumping of it like a million times, plus cooler storage, and already found out sitting on top of the transom and just resting your feet on it kinda makes a nice long bench.
IMG_3025_zpsxa06tyfm.jpg

Watermann

Hey that platform looks great, did you sand and oil it?

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had to give her some love, First I had to cut the tree down that grew up thru it, then disassemble it to remove the piece, after that car wash, then stored under my feet for a year. Put the teak oil down last week, and finally got to put it on. Still coming off one more time for painting back deck and top and sealing, hopefully this weekend.
I got three days.
starcraft%20022_zpsh4msatqf.jpg

Watermann

Whoa that's crazy seeing a tree grown through it like that. You earned that platform alright. :lol:

smevil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, been a while but still at it, had a hard time re-learning how to paint, first had to over-come fish-eyes, followed by a couple runs and sags, finally got one down, I was a little gun shy but acceptable now and moving on.
IMG_3137_zps10nuav9b.jpg

IMG_3146_zpsqtzchrti.jpg