Fatal Wind Storm - looking for a 16 foot hull

kaelc

Cadet
My dad has had a great 16 foot starcraft for the last 30 years that we have rebuilt 3 times but it was hit by a tree blown down in his back yard this winter. We are now on the hunt for a new hull. If you have a project that you want to walk away from or spot a great 16 foot starcraft with the deeper v-hull for the ocean can you send me a PM? I went to look at a 1961 Jupiter this week but as it was missing the transom well, floor board and the transom needed to be replaced I decided against it. Happy to replace the transom wood, replace rivets and deal with the interior but fabricating up the splash well in addition to everything else is a little bit too much work. Thanks and hope the weather clears up so you can head out fishing soon.

kaelc

Cadet
Would prefer one in the Pacific North West or Western Canada, but I would consider shipping a mint hull. Thanks again.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, kaelc.

PNW aluminum boats are hard to find and I feel for you. Since you're new to the forums, just a little warning for you. We can't buy or sell in the forums since iboats does sell boats and has a listing service. Thanks and good luck in your search.

kaelc

Cadet
Thanks for the heads up GA. Nice to be able to share our family's loss with so many like minded Starcraft owners. I'm surprised at how many Starcraft actually make it out to Vancouver Island and the pnw. Finding a nice hull to turn into an open fishing platform, to run with a tiller for the projected ocean will take some time. Fortunately I picked up a Hewescraft to help us catch fish until the right one comes along.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Welcome aboard! There are lots of 16' hulls over here but the PNW I hear is much scarcer!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
, to run with a tiller for the projected ocean will take some time. g.

A tiller model is going to mean a utility type boat.
That certainly eliminates a lot of Starcraft models that would be perfect for big water.

Perhaps look for a 1981 or newer Starcraft Mariner, center console model. It has a smaller splash well that works well with a tiller motor.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
have you considered building a tolman skiff, I just bought his book, read it reread it, visit fishyfish.com for more information. I am now planning to build a 26 jumbo skiff and sell the starcraft this fall or early summer 2016 if all goes well. I was looking for a big starcraft and could not find one. Did my first epoxy work today on my new motor housing for the starcraft. and did my first practice scarf on plywood. I think it is going to work out fine.
You don't need to buy a kit, many build with no kit and Renn's book along with fishyfish will answer all your questions.http://www.wcboatworks.com/
Just another option to consider. The epoxy was not bad to work with and did not smell.

kaelc

Cadet
Thanks for the tip on the tolman skiff but we'll stick with a 16 foot Starcraft aluminum. Thanks for the tip on the mariner. What other models have the more right angle, rather the rounded, bottom transom? I'm thinking mariner, super sport and holiday for ocean fishing?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
All the SuperSport, Mariner, Holiday models will have the gulling hull.
The 18' models are about 5 inches deeper than the 16'ers.

Most are going to have a larger splash well, around 25" from front to back, so it makes it difficult to use a tiller motor.

kaelc

Cadet
I think ours is a holiday, thanks for the list. An 18 would be nice but we would need a bigger engine, trailer etc and it would be harder for dad to launch at the ocean. We mounted a seat on the splash well of the 16 and re-enforced it, for strength.