I guess I have a new project............

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Out sourcing all that wonderful fun! :eek:

So did you tell them to go ahead and blast the trailer while their at it?

home-boy

Banned
I got the hull back today and I am surprised t is so rough. It feels like sandpaper :blue:

It is nekkid though.

Of course I was unprepared to get it back this quickly and don't have any primer ready. I spent all day trying to find some.

Watermann

Yeah not many guys have their boats blasted, mainly because they're cheap buggers but also because of the damage to the skin. Soda blasting is the only way to not have that roughed up battered finish from what I've heard. The only experience I have to date is using stripper on a total of 33 feet of boat hulls. ;)

home-boy

Banned
I ordered the Bluewater bottom shield primer (2 part epoxy) and Blue Water Marine Mega Gloss Polyurethane today. I can get a gallon of Majic leafing paint

locally for $30 and it looks very comparable to the Van's which I have to have shipped 1000 miles.

64osby

Admiral
Be interested to see how it performs. Did you read the specs?

home-boy

Banned
I read the specs on every boat and exterior coating ever made today. I am using boat bottomside epoxy primer for sure. The alunimum leafing paint is used primarily in ag and industrial applications and provides a tough shiny finish. I figured if it lasts 30 years on a grain silo in Kansas sun and rain it can handle being submerged once a week for 4 months.

Besides, Watermann already blazed this trail for us

Watermann

I wanted AL color on the bottom but I wasn't sure about the leafing paint. I used it with catalyst hardener and took a chance on how it would turn out but i really wasn't too worried since it's the bottom and I don't visit the underside much. After at least 50 hours in the water last summer it looks pretty much the same. Just be careful when shooting it on, there's a fine line where it cuts loose and runs.

64osby

Admiral
This coating derives its brilliance from a surface leafing pigment and therefore should not be used on any surface subject to abrasion or constant rubbing.

Bunks may have a long term effect on this. :confused:

Watermann

Yeah take any paint put it on some metal and then rub and abrade it and see how great it looks after a few years. :rolleyes:

Add the catalyst hardener and stay out from under the boat. Ever noticed that the bottom of a boat always looks bad? :lol: How about the underside of your truck or car you spent 10's of thousands on, it looks really bad under there.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If it doesnt hold up I can put a coat of clear over it

I'd recommend you just touch up the paint if it doesn't hold up. Adding clear only makes it more difficult to touch up later.

And it's a boat, when you're using it you can't even see 90% of the bottom.

IMO, if having a boat w a perfect hull bottom is uber important, get and keep a trailer queen show boat or a really nice wooden ChrisCraft model boat for the mantel, and LOOK at them.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't make it look nice when you finish, and take care of it while you own it, just try to keep some perspective.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Be like Bob Ross...and regard those bottom scratches as "happy little accidents"

Bob-Ross2.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi home-boy. I was able to get into my boat today and get that dimension you were looking for. The center of my steering wheel is exactly 17" from the inner face of the gunwale. Hope this helps. - Grandad

home-boy

Banned
Hi home-boy. I was able to get into my boat today and get that dimension you were looking for. The center of my steering wheel is exactly 17" from the inner face of the gunwale. Hope this helps. - Grandad

Yes sir! My boat is back from the blaster and I'm filling in unwanted holes with epoxy now. I have my garage cleared out and am ready to butcher some teak!

Seems like we get rain every other day so I haven't been able to sand and prime the hull as it looks like once I start I have to push all the way through sanding, 2 coats epoxy primer then 2 topcoats within a day to get the best bond.

home-boy

Banned
No real updates as it rains all the time. I'm going to build my garage first.

Teakworld has branched into mahogany....

Fished this out of the dumpster, It'll add some cool accents to all the teak I have stockpiled for my interior

photobucket-80566-1432153503026_zpsew9kjckp.jpg