I guess I have a new project............

InMotion

Commander
I know I am a bit tardy on chiming in --- but nice find there man! Nice clean slate to start with and gives you an opportunity to move forward without having to first gut and, clean etc first!

This should be interesting....:bump2::plane:

Jim

home-boy

Banned
Here is a shot with 3 lawnchairs lined up. Still plenty of room for #4

photobucket-112762-1423424754541_zps98c296ef.jpg

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
dood.. that is pretty sweet.. I'd have to open up the bow here for all the river sandbars... Hard to get in and out without the open bow. But for lake life this would be the HEAT! keep the pics coming man....

64osby

Admiral
H-B ... You may want to check the width of the dash panel from 18' hull to 21' hull. I'm thinking the new hull is a bit wider.

home-boy

Banned
H-B ... You may want to check the width of the dash panel from 18' hull to 21' hull. I'm thinking the new hull is a bit wider.

I did that last week and you are correct. I had planned on acquiring a piece of teak for the dash and may need to get 2 scrap blocks for end fillers too. I can't think of another workaround other than whittling nice end pieces to fill the gap that is easy for me to do.

I messed up and passed on a giant slab of teak 2" thick by 2' wide and 4' long for $75 at a boat salvage yard. Wish I had bought it now.

home-boy

Banned
I scored lots of teak today while slip sliding on the ice. We have a place called Teak World not too far from here that had plenty of lumber for a dash with a teak tray for a good price.

I went dumpster diving and got 3 boxes of teak scraps for free :thumb:. When I say scraps some are 5" by 12". The owner told me to come every Tuesday if I want, locals can have anything that is outside.

:joyous:

home-boy

Banned
Better pics of the dumpster diving

photobucket-56144-1425480328178_zpseca35c16.jpg

Now if Canada would just take their weather back

home-boy

Banned
Sorted my dumpster teak. Don't know what I'm doing with it yet but I will have a teak pimped resto-mod when I'm all done

photobucket-164369-1425947932773_zpsb31cfed2.jpg

photobucket-10434-1425947943922_zps635c64a6.jpg

Now if I can get a dry day to strip the paint. After our frozen tundra winter we are supposed to get 4-5" of rain this week

home-boy

Banned
Started stripping paint today. My idea of a sprayable stripper and a power washer did not go as well as I hoped. I guess I will try scraping this weekend.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I used 3 sprayable strippers.

Citrus strip - Worked great when left on overnight. Would have probably penetrated deeper had I covered it with plastic sheets to trap moisture. Might have gone through more layers.

Napa- did good on top coat, didnt usually get to primer, but once top coat was off it knocked off primer

Kleen strip- Worked awesome, But only 1 can out of 4 sprayed without clogging itself up. I wont buy it again.

I tried the pressure washer thing too, I went back to scaping. What also work was using the 3m disc on the drill after a quick scrape. But it will fling that stuff everywhere.

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome boat! I'd have to with a tiller, an African Queen top and a lazy boy couch, but that's just me.

I had th same experience withe the aerosol Kleen Strip, pissed me off pretty good.

Neil

home-boy

Banned
OK guys I need a measurement. How far from the gunnel should I mount the steering wheel shaft? I have a clean slate (well teak really) to work with. I don't want to be too close to the side but not too far towards the center either.

The boat will be an open runabout style. Maybe a few Holiday owners could help?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Homie needs a name change to something like 'TeakFreak'. :lol: Nice score man!

What you have is a blank slate to fit you. Set it up with something about the right height for your helm seat, grab your wheel, sit down and scoot about until you hit the sweet spot. It'll probably be around 18" from the starboard edge..

home-boy

Banned
This boat was stripped when I got it and my donor boat has been gone a long time and the blue smurf had the hold cut already hole so I didn't bother taking any measurements. When I put the smurf up for sale I didn't realize it would sell so quickly. Ad posting to drive-away was 3 days in the winter.

18" is the measurement I used for the steering cable but that was just a guess. I have no seat yet so it is really a blank slate.

My dash will be made of a 8"x72" teak board with 2 teak 1x3s T'd off the dash at the bottom for a tray. I think it will look good.

Should I use a piece of 3/4" ply behind it to stiffen the hull right here? There is already a pretty thick piece of something, maybe mahogany but it has some rot on one corner.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi home-boy. I can't get the dimension of mine for at least a couple of weeks or maybe a month when a 3 foot snow bank finally melts next to my boat shelter. I'm somewhat disabled and if I slip on the snow, I'll spend the rest of the day under the boat trailer until someone finds me. I do have a picture of the dash though, which is the original for my '72 Holiday 21'. If you have a similar Merc gauge cluster to mine, maybe you can guesstimate the dimension from the gunnel. I think the dimension between the steering wheel mounting bezel and the gauge cluster is about 3/4"and same for between the cluster and the gunnel. Note that this is the original wheel mount which is oval, not round. I believe the steering cable is hard pressed below the gunnel edge as it radius's tight to the right end of the dash.

I suggest you do as Watermann suggests; put the seat where you want it and center the wheel at that point. Assuming you have the steering cable, confirm that it will bend to the position you've chosen. With the blank slate, you'll need to consider the fore and aft cable length as well, if you want to use the cable you have. I hope this helps for now.

home-boy

Banned
Took my boat to get bead blasted today as I have given up on the stripping. I have too much other work that needs done this week. The blaster was right up the road from my new favorite place, Teak World. Today's dumpster treasures

photobucket-156372-1427842056642_zpsgbklhl8b.jpg

photobucket-38698-1427842041969_zpsanjrv5x1.jpg