88 Islander 261v

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
created a new thread for the Islander I picked up last fall. Will be doing a few minor things to it this year....

The blue canvass cover looks in pretty decent shape with exception of being a bit sunfaded. Has anyone ever tried fabric paint to 'refreshen' the canvas. Or any other ideas to save the cover?

261v_1.jpg

I was looking at this stuff and was hoping someone else had tried it or had any advice.

http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/pro.../SP407/Periwinkle_Upholstery_Spray_Paint.html

pckeen

Commander
Nice looking project - what do you have planned?

Have you tried simply cleaning it and recoating with something like a 303 fabric guard waterproofing? We have a pop up camper - a clean and recoat freshened it up some. Not a night and day difference though.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've never used any of that fabric spray, but sure looks interesting. You could try it and be our guinea pig :D

I can tell you it's alot easier to make a new cover while you still have a pattern.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
You can replace the cover for a little more than the cost of the paint. You would probably need 20 cans of that paint on your cover. I use it for stenciling logos or custom art work on vinyl of changing interior colors without replacing the whole cabin. In your case 303 protectant is a better choice and will allow the cover to still breath. Painting the cover will be more likely to trap in boat damaging moisture. All boat covers need to breath or have vents cut into them.

astor

Nice looking project - what do you have planned?

Have you tried simply cleaning it and recoating with something like a 303 fabric guard waterproofing? We have a pop up camper - a clean and recoat freshened it up some. Not a night and day difference though.

pc- thanks good idea, I will look into the 303 and a good cleaning before anything. Not too much planned for this one:decision: Id like to use it a lot this summer :fish2:then do a few things next fall. pull the rubber flooring up, maybe pull a few deck boards, inspect the fuel system- especially after I found the severe deterioration in the fill and vent lines of my '87 SS180., foam condition...... but we all know what that leads to....:lol:

I've never used any of that fabric spray, but sure looks interesting. You could try it and be our guinea pig :D

I can tell you it's alot easier to make a new cover while you still have a pattern.
Was hoping not be the guinea pig, but good point cj8- I might be tempted to make a new cover using this one as a pattern, I have some upholstery and sewing to do on the SS in the next few months, well see how that goes...

You can replace the cover for a little more than the cost of the paint. You would probably need 20 cans of that paint on your cover. I use it for stenciling logos or custom art work on vinyl of changing interior colors without replacing the whole cabin. In your case 303 protectant is a better choice and will allow the cover to still breath. Painting the cover will be more likely to trap in boat damaging moisture. All boat covers need to breath or have vents cut into them.
Thanks kmarine,- the cover has vents in it, agree with the need to have it breath a bit. I think you're right, didn't realize that fabric paint is only in 8oz cans, it might be close to having a new one made. Hopefully trying to avoid spending a bundle on new canvas- at least not this year.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Canvas material isn't all that expensive... duck cloth is even cheaper (but would probably leak some).

Check on JoAnn's Fabrics website for some coupons. Home depot and Lowes sells the snaps and tarp rings.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Marine cover material is cheep if you don't mind 2nds check out rochfordsupply.com I prefer 9 oz polyester to acrylic.

astor

Opened up the Islander yesterday, got a few items to complete and then its time to get the bottom side wet.:)

https://youtu.be/8thF6WXsWfI

Put the canvas up for the first time and looks like I need to replace the clear vinyl, but overall in decent shape.

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

64osby

Admiral
I replace the plastic on my dodger a few years ago. Wasn't to hard. If you want info go to page 8 post 119 i think of the Mariner link in the sig.

She looks water ready, nice. :cool:

astor

Looks good from here!
Thanks hayko

I replace the plastic on my dodger a few years ago. Wasn't to hard. If you want info go to page 8 post 119 i think of the Mariner link in the sig.

She looks water ready, nice. :cool:
Thanks for the link 64osby, I think I will attempt to replace the plastic, but will use the thicker 40mill stuff, this will wait till the fall though.

Dunkin' time, astor. Boy, she looks good!
Yep, forecast looks like rain till next week though, so it'll have to wait a few days.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah astor you scored big time and that motor sounds like a super smooth runner.

dozerII

Admiral
She looks great, raring and ready to go, can't wait for the splash and your report.:couch2::popcorn:

astor

Finally splashed the Islander today, took her down to the restaurants at the docks and had lunch with the wife and daughter.
WOT was a bit too low at 3600rpm and about 34mph. I will have to look at a different prop. But she ran real smooth, I will have to play a bit with the hydraulic trim tabs, but overall I'm very happy with how she ran.

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

Watermann

The big tin is looking good on the water astor!

What is the prop size you have on now and are you sure the tach is correct? I'm thinking your prop should be a 21p but if she's running 1000 rpms under what it should at WOT then it would be a real dog trying to wallow out of the hole and be maybe a 26p. That would make it way over propped to the point of being damaging to the outdrive.

astor

good points Watermann, I was thinking last night over a few yeasty beverages that I should first check the rpm's I didn't seem right that I was reading those speeds on the GPS while seeing such a low rpm at WOT. the prop seems a bit off as its a 15p 15" dia. I did notice that when I pulled the boat out, the trim tabs were down about 20degrees from the horizontal, which surprised me a bit

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Looks great! I'm sure you'll get the prop thing sorted out. Enjoy the heck out of your biggest of Islanders!

Watermann

good points Watermann, I was thinking last night over a few yeasty beverages that I should first check the rpm's I didn't seem right that I was reading those speeds on the GPS while seeing such a low rpm at WOT. the prop seems a bit off as its a 15p 15" dia. I did notice that when I pulled the boat out, the trim tabs were down about 20degrees from the horizontal, which surprised me a bit

I use this prop slip calculator http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/ it can be very helpful when you see there's a problem and punch in the numbers. On average for being set up right prop slip in the mid teens is what you're looking for. Just be sure you have the OD trimmed up as high as possible and the tabs up to reduce drag.

astor

I use this prop slip calculator http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/ it can be very helpful when you see there's a problem and punch in the numbers. On average for being set up right prop slip in the mid teens is what you're looking for. Just be sure you have the OD trimmed up as high as possible and the tabs up to reduce drag.
Thanks, It calculates a negative slip with my speed and rpm's, but when I put in 4400rpm it calcs 18%. So I'm figuring my rpm's are inaccurate. I'll have to check the actual rpm's, I may consider a slightly higher pitch, maybe a 17 or 18, after I give it another try with the actual rpms and trim tabs set right.