My Super Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a pic of our Sylvan Super Sportster (StarCraft Super Sport) we picked up last October. It is currently undergoing a sympathetic restoration, hope to post some more pics of it later.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome to iboats, tin division

The Starcraft guys will be along shortly to welcome and harass you, esp about the pix that failed to load.

Try using a 3rd party pix host site, I prefer photobucket, it's free. Just copy the IMG code for any pix and post the code IN your replies.

Pix show up nice and big and don't have to be opened to be viewed:
groundhog_zps2c3e2ef5.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats, tin division

The Starcraft guys will be along shortly to welcome and harass you, esp about the pix that failed to load.

Try using a 3rd party pix host site, I prefer photobucket, it's free. Just copy the IMG code for any pix and post the code IN your replies.

Pix show up nice and big and don't have to be opened to be viewed:

Thanks for giving the Mob a bad name. But you're too late, we already earned the reputation. Now Gold - Where the heck are those pics? :lol:

Sorry for the joking around (no I'm not), we try to have some fun in our little piece of iboats. :welcome: to the land of Tin-Nuts.

Use JB's method to get the pics in your post. It just works so much better. I'm curious to see some Sylvan pics to see what the differences are between a Sylvan Super Sportster and SC Super Sport. I'm sure it's just cosmetic since the hulls are the same. I wonder if it's like one was a Ford and one was a Mercury?

Tnstratofam

Commander
:welcome: Welcome to the tinsanity! You'll find that the people here are good natured, and good at helping get old boats back in sea worthy condition. Can't wait to see pics.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hopefully my photobucket picture uploaded, it's a 16 foot model with a Mercury 70hp 3 cyl, model year 1983. It has the optional fishing package with live well and removable fishing platform in the bow. it is getting the 2x2' plywood engine pad engine pad replaced and repainting the motor well area in original color. We had it out on Lake Blue Cypress in Vero Beach 3 times before the weather got cold.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for giving the Mob a bad name. But you're too late, we already earned the reputation. Now Gold - Where the heck are those pics? :lol:

Sorry for the joking around (no I'm not), we try to have some fun in our little piece of iboats. :welcome: to the land of Tin-Nuts.

Use JB's method to get the pics in your post. It just works so much better. I'm curious to see some Sylvan pics to see what the differences are between a Sylvan Super Sportster and SC Super Sport. I'm sure it's just cosmetic since the hulls are the same. I wonder if it's like one was a Ford and one was a Mercury?

Hi,

I think the Sylvan name came about the same way Evinrude came up with Johnson, it was a way to get around dealership agreements so they could have another dealership in the same town. My boat is basically identical to a 16 Super Sport, same seats, layout, steering wheel. Only difference maybe were some of the color choices, don't recall seeing a StarCraft in this earth tone paint scheme. I really wanted a StarCraft with a Johnson but when I ran across this Sylvan it was too good to pass on.

Thanx for taking the time to post and I tried the photobucket as JB suggested, it looks like it worked.

Last edited:

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome aboard Goldduster! How long is your SS?

It's a 16, 1983 model with Mercury 70hp 3cyl of the same year. It has the fishing package with live well under driver seat and removable fishing platform in the bow. It was a PA boat most of it's life, bought it from the original owner last October who has moved to Lake Placid, FL a couple years ago. Boat was sitting in Lake Henry when I bought it, actually got to drive it on that lake before buying it.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Looks nice. I'd be interested in seeing that removable casting deck. I'm planning on rigging one up for our 16SS in the spring. Not sure how I'm gonna do it and keep my bow seating.

Looking forward to more pics.

Alumarine

Captain
Nice boat. nice colours. Good to see another Sylvan here.

I too would be interested in pics of the removable bow platform and the interior showing the livewell under the seat.
I see they still had the lower rub rail in 83.

Welcome aboard!

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks nice. I'd be interested in seeing that removable casting deck. I'm planning on rigging one up for our 16SS in the spring. Not sure how I'm gonna do it and keep my bow seating.

Looking forward to more pics.

Pardon the messy interior, boat is getting it's transom pad replaced, the wooden rails in the pic with the trolling motor sitting in the bow is where the casting floor sits. Live well makes an excellent storage area on family outing days.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A whole lotta brown, but she sure seems to be in good shape. Too bad Sylvan is pontoon-only now. :grumpy: Only Starcraft and Smokercraft make tin boats in the family now.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Both the casting deck, and the livewell give me good ideas on what I need to do. Thanks very much for posting those pictures. How is your transom? Any dark spots which could indicate rot? Most transom pads I've seen are added reinforcement a previous owner ( po ) installed to help support the motor due to a weak transom.

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both the casting deck, and the livewell give me good ideas on what I need to do. Thanks very much for posting those pictures. How is your transom? Any dark spots which could indicate rot? Most transom pads I've seen are added reinforcement a previous owner ( po ) installed to help support the motor due to a weak transom.

Hi, maybe I didn't call it by the correct term, here is the transom pad I was replacing:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope that's a transom pad. Mostly cosmetic to help prevent scratching or damaging the transom aluminum skin. Seal it well

Some choose to leave it off, substitute a solid aluminum pad or even use Starboard (a plastic cutting board type material)
IMAG0252.jpg

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what the transom looks like, no rot but the top ply of fir was weather checked so I roughed it up with 100 grit and then gave it three coats of West System Epoxy before sanding it fairly smooth. Bottom pic is after three coats epoxy and sanding with 220.

Tnstratofam

Commander
It looks pretty good. I'm not familiar with the west system. I know it works, just haven't used it myself.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey GoldD, that sure is a nice little 16SS you have there, looks to have been well cared for in her past life. :thumb:

Not sure I know what you mean by a "sympathetic restoration" :noidea:

If I had to go guessing I would say your picking away at the surface layer repairing/refinishing things that don't look so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.