1985 Mariner 180 Project- so many questions.

Joel.B

Recruit
I bought this for $1400 a few months back. I knew it was a project ( rotten floors, fuel leaks etc), so far no surprises since opening up the floors and tinkering on the motor. Came with super beefy (overkill really) custom welded steel trailer, trailer could use some paint. I'd like to sell this trailer and buy something lighter in weight (galv or aluminum). The original paint and decals are in pretty good shape- if you like beige/brown/orange. Power is a nice looking low hours 1985 Johnson 90 VRO- vro was deleted so it is premix now. Strong compression, started/revved/idled pretty good considering all the fuel leaking from the carbs and lines. Rebuilt the carbs and replaced the lines-, new plugs- seems to run great but have not had any load on it. Ordered a water pump kit, wondering what else I should preventative replace on this motor? Which repair service manual would be best? I pan on all new wiring and gauges, new plumbing while floor is up.

I have read so many threads on restoring these Starcrafts- still have some questions.

Anybody ever put down aluminum flooring instead of the plywood? I have some old freeway signs that are fairly rigid, enough to do whole boat. I am interested in saving some weight wherever I can as i want to put in a belly fuel-tank below the deck, and a large Bait Tank that can keep a couple scoops of sardines/Mackerel/chovies alive for a day. Also would like to raise the height of the center console or replace it with a taller/slimmer console- I like to stand up straight when running the boat and I am 6'2". Thinking about replacing the seat with a leaning post that can fit the baitwell under it. . Would also like to add a T-Top. I plan on towing this boat all over Baja and launching from the beach- so I need to save weight wherever I can. I have owned more boats than I can remember- have fished all over the west coast and Mexico so I have a good idea of what I want, just not sure of best way to make-it-so on this riveted tin boat.

Also- bottom of boat is unpainted raw aluminum, has minor small pits/ashy all over. I'd like to coat the bottom with something very durable that will hold up to the abuse of being beached on coarse sand, something that will last a long time, maybe help prevent leaks too.... I dont want much right? I guess Gluvit is for the bilge- no leaks or pitting I can find so that is good.

Will post pics in a bit. Wish me luck.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats and the SC tin division!

I'm sure some of the guys will come in and offer up some ideas as soon as you pop with the cursory pics of your mariner. :D

64osby

Admiral
Welcome to the site.

On the motor, Do the impeller or the whole water pump if needed. Change the lower unit oil. Hit all the grease points and check the steering tube since you will be in salty water.

Love to see pictures.

I installed a flip back seat. I also raised up the back one set of holes. This lets me use it many different ways. While under way I sit, kneel or lean. At rest or fishing I can lean or sit. Plus it has storage or could be piped for a livewell.

Joel.B

Recruit
Whelp, the pics that were on the camera are gone- so I will take some more tomorrow but I have already ripped up some floor, removed bow rail and windshield, hand rails, made a mess of a few other things. So the "before" pics will show some very minor progress. It actually didnt look too bad before I tore into it. The original brown vinyl covered the rotten floor, everything else is in good shape. I dont think the original owner used it too many times since it was bought new. He had the trailer custom made by a local Iron Works, its beefier than the trailer my 24' Skipjack sat on.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Cooling system on the motor is most important. In addition to the water pump kit, get new t-stats as well with the new gaskets for the t-stat covers.

bridgeman213

Cadet
While you have the floor out dig into the foam in a few places in the back, hopefully its dry if not get a spade shovel and dig er out. Most of em are holding a half a ton of water. I put my fuel tank under the console in the floor at midship on my 21 and had the same setup on my 18. I built an 9" riser for the console itself which made room for the 25 gal tank I'm 6'6" and run the boat standing up.