Did the 16' Super Sport hull change over the years?

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm thinking about finding a 16' Super Sport to renovate. I have a 1979 80HP Merc with TNT that I think would be perfect on one. I have reworked fiberglass boats before and I would like to try my skills on an aluminum StarCraft. In looking at these photos, it seems like some of the years that the bow curves up on the top side and others are perfectly straight line from the bow to the transom. I was wondering if that is just an optical illusion of photographs or a difference in the hulls? Are there any pros and cons to the different years of 16' Super Sports? I'm going to use the boat as a cruiser and occasionally pull a kid on a tube. Back to back lounger seats and no fishing out of this one. Thanks for the input.

dozerII

Admiral
About the only difference in the hulls over the years is the lapstrakes, they started out even all the way down the hulls from top to bottom at about 4-5inches in width, then in the latter part of the 70"s they widened the top one to allow graphics. The side rub strip came on all models till 1975 I believe. as far as the hull shape it was the same for all other than the V5 model. Even my 76 18 Holiday is the same hull as a 76 SS

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You shouldn't have any difficulty finding a good 16SS, even here in the PNW there's a few every month for sale. The larger OB 18's are what's tough to find. I would suggest you look for a later 70's to 80's model that has had the hull braces installed so you don't have to worry about taking that step yourself.

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input. I'm in Missouri and see a lot of them around in Missouri, Illinois, and Iowa. I think I saw a 18' OB with a 135HP Evinrude over near Kansas City. I have a 1979 Mercury 80HP and a 1985 Merc 115 in the shed that I picked up for next to nothing because they were on boats that needed to be cut up and taken to the dump...which is sort of a hobby of mine! Trying to sort out what I want to do. I like the windshields on the old ones that have the side swoosh glass that was a StarCraft trademark. I'll have to track down what you are talking about with the side braces. I would also like to find an 18' OB cruiser but don't know how practical that is for the lake we are on. I don't see too many of those around.

dozerII

Admiral
Depending on how many kids you have, four people in the 16SS is about the max for being comfortable. The 18SS you posted must be pre 76 because it has the black strip on the sides of the hull. It also looks like it may have some hull damage on the starboard bow, or it may just be the lighting in the picture. What is he asking for it?

Last edited:

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Depending on how many kids you have, four people in the 16SS is about the max for being comfortable. The 18SS you posted must be pre 76 because it has the black strip on the sides of the hull. It also looks like it may have some hull damage on the starboard bow, or it may just be the lighting in the picture. What is he asking for it?

Not sure. I did the CL reply and he never got back to me.

64osby

Admiral
Looked like the 18 is a trade for a car or ....

The 135 would be a real gas hog, looks like a mid to late 70's

Watermann

I'll have to track down what you are talking about with the side braces. I would also like to find an 18' OB cruiser but don't know how practical that is for the lake we are on. I don't see too many of those around.

Here's a pic of my Chief with the braces or hull stiffeners that tie the bottom into the sides to strengthen that area which is a known issue for cracking.

IMAG1201.jpg

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's a pic of my Chief with the braces or hull stiffeners that tie the bottom into the sides to strengthen that area which is a known issue for cracking.

IMAG1201.jpg

That looks sharp. I saw those on your thread and wasn't quite sure why you did that. Did you rivet those pieces? I have a friend that does aluminum welding that I can ask for help. In general, do you think it is best to rivet and bolt items together or weld them if you have the ability? I can see where rivets and bolted joints can flex where a weld might pop.

Watermann

Rivets for sure on a riveted boat, especially around that seam.