1978 Starcraft supersport 22ft

brettlennis

Recruit
Hello All New to forum. I am restoring a 1978 Starcraft Supersport 22ft I/O. It was previously owned by DNR here in indiana. I am looking for the original Aluminum rub rail that goes on the boat. Does anyone know where to find that aluminum rub rail. That and the rub rail corners that go on the transom. Any help appreciated. Thanks!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tall order Brett.

Watch ebay and craigs for those parts, there haven't been many parts posted in a while, but check here too:
Starcraft Parts

There's been some suggested replacement vinyl inserts that fit, but I've never seen anyone post any aluminum rail that matches, or fits......

Is the existing aluminum rubrail damaged beyond repair, cracked, missing?

Same for the transom end caps?

Welcome to iboats, and no matter it's current condition please post some pix of your new to you Starcraft. The Starmada mob will be along to welcome and harass you shortly ;)

brettlennis

Recruit
Hello The rub rail and transom caps are missing. The only part of rub rail that is left is on the transom. I looked at the vinyl ones , but I like the aluminum ones the best.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Starcrafts have an aluminum rail (the metal track part) w/ a vinyl insert (the part that's actual what stuff 'rubs' against. I meant the vinyl insert had been found that's a close match. Except from another Starcraft donor boat, I don't think anyone's ever posted a rail that was similar or fit as a replacement.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats Brett

If the end caps are missing I would just about bet that someone who removed them also pulled the vinyl rub rail. Without pics it's impossible to know for sure.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome, Bret.

One of our Starcraft guys found replacement rub rail through a Starcraft dealer. It wasn't cheap! And Michaelp (???) makes replacement transom caps. He has them on Ebay. Pics would help a lot so we give you the right advce.

WM - Nice sig! :D

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Welcome aboard!!

Another idea would be to salvage the rail off an old fiberglass boat of approximately the same sizes. If you carefully take the screws out it comes off easily enough, but it probably won't be exactly the same style as it had originally

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
A 22' SuperSport! ....AND NO PICTURES :mad-new:

Did you stop by just to torture us? :confused::confused:

Next you'll tell us that it's a V5! :mad-new:

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the forum!

I bought a fiberglass donor when I rebuilt my Chieftain. It is a mid 70's 18' American Startcraft. The rub rail on the American is bigger than what's on your SS. (both the aluminum and rubber part). You could probably make the size work with some modifications, but mine will be to short. You're welcome to it though!

brettlennis

Recruit
I will try to post some pics this coming weekend. Does not say V5 on the ID Tag. It says SUS 22 I/O. I am going to try and find a parts boat of the same. Never know I might just find one..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
This coming weekend for pics? What you only have visitation every other weekend? :lol:

I can tell you this about the rub rail, a glass boat rub rail won't even be close to working on a 70's tin SC. The glass boats rub rail is shaped way different since it covers the seam for the hull and the cap. The SC rub rail will have a thicker finished top edge that extends over the seam between the gunnels, transom cover, bow cap and the hull. I'm still not sure the rub rails are removed and not just the vinyl insert without some pics.