Advice on patching a hole in aluminum deck

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, looking for some advice... Feel free to point me to an old thread if available. I have a hole in the deck of my Starcraft aluminum deck where the previous owner drilled thru it for some reason. I have open access to it underneath as well. What is the best way to patch this? Do I use some tape or something from the bottom then fill over the top? Really appreciate any input. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How large is the hole? For smaller holes, many have used JB Weld with an aluminum baking plate. Just don't use any with the steel reinforcement.

dozerII

Admiral
Use a hole saw to cut 1.5 -2" discs out of light aluminum for you backer plates, scuff the sheet up first with 36 grit sand paper for good adhesion.

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had some luck with a product called alumiweld. I have some pics in my Chieftain thread. Or try looking on you tube for vids.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Here's what I did for the many holes in my deck: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...58#post4286858

wDSC_2529.jpg

I cut small pieces from some thin aluminum sheet that were big enough to cover the hole with some overlap, then used a putty knife to spread JB Weld over the top. You can tape the aluminum pieces on from underneath to hold them in place while the epoxy cures. One tip: spread the JB as thin as possible, because it takes a LOT of sanding to get it leveled out once cured. It's very hard. The repairs have endured well.

If it sags or shrinks a little as it cures, you can reapply and sand smooth after it cures.

The biggest one I did was about 3/4 to 1" across.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I can't find the product but I saw a green stick of something from cabelas (I thought) that you used a propane torch to heat the alum. and you could basically solder a hole closed. was going to buy some but never did. I too need to fill some holes.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some have had good luck w/ the AlumiWeld rods (Craig apparently did), a few might be more accurate. I'm on other boat forums that have about the same hit or miss results as those here. I know at least 2 here had real trouble using it, and continued to struggle after switching to MAP gas.

Don't know why they didn't succeed, or why it works good for others. If you're set up w/ MAP gas, and want to try it, give it a shot. I think you can buy them on evil-bay for less then other online vendors. You might get the same results Craig did.................

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It really all depends on if you are wanting to close/seal up the holes simply for cosmetic effect or for other reason! Are you putting anything over the repaired area afterwards? If you are sealing them to install something else over the holes afterward, then JB Weld is fantastic for sure. However if you are not covering the area after repairs, the Alumiweld rods could be your answer. It really all depends on what YOU want...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I guess I would chime in on another method for filling in a hole that's as big as a nickle. Peoria you said " have a hole in the deck of my Starcraft aluminum deck" so without a pic of the area I have to guess where the hole is located. I've filled a lot of small holes with JB but the big ones are a bit more difficult.

The Chief was a challenge as I had around 250 holes to deal with, for instance 70+ per gunnel. The cabin had some really big holes drilled for VHF and AM FM antennas. So I chose to use metal hole plugs on them. You can get them in any size needed at the hardware store. I scuffed the surface, SE primed, regular primer and then shot them with matching paint. A small bead of 4200 and pushed them in the hole. When looking at the boat you don't see them, they just blend in perfectly.

31rF2wCSROL._SY300_.jpg