Jupiter restoration begins

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's nice to think she spent time in Wyoming. We will be heading back up to Pinedale WY next summer. Paradise.

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last day on the water, I can't wait for Sunday breakfasts on the Jupiter this summer!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Stripped down bare and the only way to go now is forward on the rebuild! One thing I would suggest on those floor support stringers. drill out the age old blind rivets holding them to the ribs and put in new for no worries in the future.

Gluvit epoxy application is pretty straight forward, clean surface, warm environment and don't over apply it or it will run badly. Seams and the the bow keel need it the most and I always hit the rivets in the open holding the center and side keels. The ones holding the ribs down, well there's no sense i putting it on them, there's no way to apply it properly under the rib.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Came to see the rumored Giant canine, guess I'll stay for the boat rebuild ;

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
He was here earlier this evening, now he's gone. I fixed that a few weeks ago.

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Regular plywood, not sure of thickness yet. I've been spending evenings reading about paint, gluvit, leak tests, foam, rivets, resin, epoxy,decking and transoms! We just threw almost another 1000 at her this week. The Johnson 70 is ready to be picked up, replaced water pump, other than that it is ready to go!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Looks like a nice project. Yes, Gluvit is a great idea done in two sessions. Tilt the boat so the gluvit flows into the seams and not away from them. It "creeps" until set then do the same thing to the other side the next day.

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, thank you all for the great forum! The transom is in, the deck is finished and almost all parts are ready to be assembled! The trailer is finished too. Just need to put a few pieces in to get her painted. I would like some suggestions for brand and types of gauges to use. Thanks guys!

dozerII

Admiral
Faria, or Teleflex are good choices and available right here on Iboats, need to see some pics of all this progress;)

Last edited:

Watermann

Hey not so fast, ahem so wheres the pics? :photo:

Which gauges are you looking for besides speedo and tach? What finish? I have the Faria Chronos in my Chief.

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stripped hull. I used aircraft stripper on the bow, best product ever. It took 30 minutes from application to rinsing, amazing. I thought I was in for an all day ordeal.

Watermann

Now that's what I'm talkin bout right there! Nice work Memph :thumb:

Memphis117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Goodbye old Jupiter. I know we are not supposed to burn old plywood like this, but we only burned two small pieces, it was beautiful. That night we had an awesome street taco party. The evening was one of our top 10!