Pitted Chrome advice

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
Appreciate any advice on removing pitting from Chrome. I have used 4\0 steel wool with some limited success in the past but came upon this article on restoring chrome. It says start with 400 grit sandpaper, then 800, then 1000 and finish with steel wool, use a clear lacquer then steel wool again. I would like to try it but nervous on using the sand paper. Any input appreciated.

www.ehow.com/how_4523206_remove-chrome-pitting.html

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice piece in the picture. However, IF the Chrome is gone, no amount of sanding, polishing, buffing or anything else will make it come back. There are options, but if you seriously want Chrome, you need to either purchase an in-home Chrome kit OR set it out to a professional Chromers (if that is a word). It all depends on what YOU will be satisfied with... If the upper totally rusted section is removable, it could be very cheap to have just that section rechromed... Just a thought.

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I dont need it perfect and there is little missing chrome, mostly pitting. Just curious if sand paper has been used by others?

64osby

Admiral
Someone had posted a youtube clip from Jay Leno's garage a while back. Showed a product used to revive old chrome pieces. Won't get rid of the pits but it may be something to look at.

Not a lot of experience with chrome but it is a thin layer. It would seem to me that sanding the pits out would remove the chrome coating. My uneducated thoughts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sanding Chrome is at best a bad idea. WHY? Because while chrome is a very hard surface coating of metal, sanding actually takes the coat off. And if you go too aggressive, that finish will never return. If you are still interested in sanding such a material. I would start out with some very fine wet/dry 800 grit or even 1000 grit and go extremely slow, followed up with progressively finer and finer grits until polishing and buffing was finished. But once the chrome is gone, no amount of polishing will make up for the lost chrome material... Remember, chrome in not some sprayed on paint-like finish, but deposited via chemical/electrolyzed process.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I would try 0000 steel wool and see if it has any affect. I use it for cleaning up chrome faucets and it works good.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I use aluminum foil and water to scrub the rust off chrome, if its really corroded I use vinegar instead of water.

64osby

Admiral
Astor - Great tip. I gave it a try on some ugly baby moon covers that came off the donor.

Here is a half and half.
IMAG07701.jpg

Here is the worst area.
IMAG07711.jpg

Here is after.

IMAG07721.jpg

It won't shine what isn't there, but does a great job everywhere else.:thumb:

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
yep, aluminum foil works pretty good at polishing the chrome without scratching it, removes rust, but if its really deep rust not much is gonna fix it but replating. unfortunately there are fewer and fewer shops around that will do this.

I had some pieces re-chromed about 10 years ago for $5 a piece they were brass 1/2 domes about 4" dia. but that place has closed. Now everyone that does it wants crazy $$$ even for small pieces.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
on my ski mirror, which was bad enough to not be usable i took comet and a scotch bright pad to it. Pits are still there but shined up enough to be able to use as a mirror

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Just an aside, I am lucky enough to have a chrome shop about 50 miles away from me. If you have ever been to one, you would see why there are fewer and fewer and why it is so expensive. First the whole process is very labor/machine intensive. There is the fine dust of the removed chrome on everything- I felt as if I had actually been to purgatory when i got out of there-not to mention the chemicals and nickel used in the re-chroming. Family owned for 50+years and has a half dozen employees, but owner said lawyers, EPA and DNR are trying their best to put him out of business.

Sorry for the soapbox, but it really opened my eyes to what is involved and gave me a new appreciation for re-chromers that I am attempting to share. Like everyone has said, pits are pits, and you only have to please yourself, but if you want re-chroming done, I believe most guys are earning their money for the beauty they add. Go for it-it makes the project! JMHO
Dale

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just an aside, I am lucky enough to have a chrome shop about 50 miles away from me. If you have ever been to one, you would see why there are fewer and fewer and why it is so expensive. First the whole process is very labor/machine intensive. There is the fine dust of the removed chrome on everything- I felt as if I had actually been to purgatory when i got out of there-not to mention the chemicals and nickel used in the re-chroming. Family owned for 50+years and has a half dozen employees, but owner said lawyers, EPA and DNR are trying their best to put him out of business.

Sorry for the soapbox, but it really opened my eyes to what is involved and gave me a new appreciation for re-chromers that I am attempting to share. Like everyone has said, pits are pits, and you only have to please yourself, but if you want re-chroming done, I believe most guys are earning their money for the beauty they add. Go for it-it makes the project! JMHO
Dale

I agree with you. Everything has to be grinded down, polished and then they start the plating procedures. And it isn't as simple as just dipping it into the vats and turning on the voltage. Lots of items can't be straight chrome plated and therefore other metals are used as both fillers and under-plate. Some are used to fill in imperfections and then another round or two of polishing until the pits are filled and polished to mirror like finishes and then they are ready for the metal plating sequence to begin... Just like paint finishing, the prep work is where all the labor is involved. If you have pits and scratches in the prep, you have pits and scratches in the chrome...