1958 Starcraft Jet Star project

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, This is my first posting to this group. I was happy to come across a Starcraft forum. I just made my first vintage Starcraft purchase. It was a barn find from the original owner, a 1958 Jet Star with a 1959 Evinrude Starflite 4cyl 50hp. Really only needs some buffing, new carpet, etc.. I was happy to see the boat came with a glow-pole for the rear light and all worked great. Nice fins on the back as well. I have never had a boat this old with the pulley system for steering, hoping all works when it warms up. I started stripping it down and will post some pics of progress. Any suggestions on what to use to buff it out or where I can find parts for it when needed would be appreciated. Here are pics of the boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jqrpg25po94v7xe/AADCJeOCYPsOQ5rFzwoTi_NWa?dl=0

Tnstratofam

Commander
Welcome to tin land. That looks to be an awesome score. She looks to be in pretty good shape, and well cared for. Nice lines, and colors. What are your plans for her? It looks like the old reg sticker is from 2009. Is she a runner, or will you have to do any work to get her sea worthy again?

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
I was told she will start right up, have not tried yet but believe them. Being the original owners, they had the owner's manual, etc.. and it was stored indoors. My current plans are just to clean and buff her up, replace the rotten carpet. Then drive her this Summer. Perhaps a boat show since she is original. It is not the boat I am really looking for. I have a place on Lake of the Ozatrks and I need something bigger for that water. I will decide next year if I keep her and repaint or if I sell her. Nice looking boat you have as well.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the Starmada! :welcome:

That is some awesome, old Tin you scored right there!!! :thumb:

cool...all the way down to the boarding ladder!

Are you keeping it original?

What do you want to bet that jbcurt tears-up when he sees her!!! :p

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok, ClassicCat goes on the list, just below that MIA BlueFin fella.............:watermelon:

Peoria, you'll find the SC crowd around this joint is a great bunch of rivet heads. :der: :tinfoil3:

What a great looking rig:
star%20craft%203.jpg

Welcome to the Tin-Sanity.

BTW: I got a sneak peak of this rig over at Fiberglassics ;)

peoriaone

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks all for the welcome, look forward to joining the discussions. I do plan to keep her original. Should be a good user boat. jbcurt, yes I did post on Fiberglassics. I met Bill online there and only live 45 minutes from him. Went to visit a couple weeks ago and what an impressive collection he has. Bill is on the lookout for a boat that will better fit my needs for the Ozarks. This one will keep me occupied until I find some 20 ft classic glass...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks all for the welcome, look forward to joining the discussions. I do plan to keep her original. Should be a good user boat. jbcurt, yes I did post on Fiberglassics. I met Bill online there and only live 45 minutes from him. Went to visit a couple weeks ago and what an impressive collection he has. Bill is on the lookout for a boat that will better fit my needs for the Ozarks. This one will keep me occupied until I find some 20 ft classic glass...

Welcome Peoria. Nice looking old chunk-o-tin. Maybe you should check your autocorrect settings.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats forum and channel TIN, all tin all the time!

Wow that Jet is amazing for her age, what a nice score you have there :thumb:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Super nice. Not only would that be a chick magnet but I'm thinking also a man magnet as I certainly love the look of it. The steering wheel is super cool.

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Congrats on that find! Love the wings and the original paint scheme. Sets off the lines!!!!

dozerII

Admiral
Is that ever a cool looking old StarCraft, welcome to the Starmada.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Fins!, and that steering wheel is one of the sharpest I've seen. Great find.