My 1971 Starchief

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the Starmada! :welcome: Great lookin' chief you have there! :thumb: It looks like you're getting some great use out of her!

bondo478

Cadet
I've been very lucky and have made friends with a few of the charter captains at the marina. They have helped us out alot and given us alot of tips and tricks. I've definitely been wanting to get a temp and speed unit at the ball if I can swing it. What brand do you prefer? I see some use coated cables and at least one doesn't. I know I'll never be out without wire divers again. They are simply awesome to fight a fish on!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I think the fish hawk x4d is the best speed/temp on the market. It uses a transducer and radio frequencies to transmit data.

That said, I couldn't swing the price tag on one of those, so I found a used Moor Subtroll on eBay for $200. It requires a cable connection and a special terminator, but it works well. I tried the uncoated special cable, but it frayed on me, so now I have coated. I honestly can't tell the difference in terms of blowback. It has a big analogue speed display and digital temp readout. If you save an eBay search and have it sent to your email you'll likely find a good "buy it now" price. It's a very useful tool for trolling through currents and wind.

41Ah52S.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Nice boats - the Chief is in great shape it appears

I've always hated the look of the Carver but I've been in several over the years and cannot beat the interior layout.

bondo478

Cadet
I definitely need to get one of those units. I had heard good and bad about both, with the transducer interfering with sonar and the coated cable peeling. I'm not concerned with the cable, as I generally replace mine every year just to avoid any issues.

Redneck Joe, I agree the looks of the Carver is a little different, but I've found the same as you to be true about the layout. The cabin layout is the best I've ever had with tons of room and storage and the flybridge is massive with more seating than I've ever seen on one, even on larger flybridge boats. Add in the big back deck and it's very hard to beat for hanging out, living on and just cruising.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I keep liquid electrical tape in my box of weights in case the nylon coating starts to peel off. Haven't needed it yet over two seasons.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have researched all the speed/temp sensor systems and by far I like the Moor Sub Troll the best. I like the analog speed indicator as it is a visual reference of speed without watching a digital scale go up and down. Interference from transducer type systems is a concern of mine with the other units that use them. Although I haven't heard of a lot of issues with the Fish Hawk units I have heard that the smart troll system runs on only a few freqs and could e interfered with by other boats trolling nearby.

bondo478

Cadet
Now off to save a search and see if I can find one reasonable..... I would definitely like to get one before next season.

bondo478

Cadet
What do you guys like for rod holders for dipsys and such? I only have one per side right now other than what is on the downriggers and would like to have at least two or three per side. I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't like to buy junk with either.

Last edited:

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I currently use Big Jon holders and Fish-On Sports. All my Big Jons are mounted on the butterfly plates on the downriggers and the Fish On are mounted on the gunwale.

This pic is my typical set up. From L to R : downrigger rod - wire diver on the rigger holders. On the gunwale holders I run my highlines off the planer mast. You can see the otter boat (orange) out in the pic that my highlines runn off of. My buddy runs Berts ratcheting holders on his Islander for his divers and has a Berts triple tree for his highlines.

Brand is a personal preference for sure but they must be sturdy for pulling the divers. No plastic or cheapo's for me as those wire diver rods are $200 ea.and certainly don't want to have one pulled overboard by a hard charging salmon.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Willy's got an awesome spread through the water column^^. Knowing that I can't fish comfortably on my 18 with more than one licensed guest on board, I opted to mount my riggers on 36" Cannon tracks on 6" pedestals so I can slide them out of the way when docking/under way. I then mounted a pair of Cannon dual axis rod holders that can go either in front of or behind the riggers on the track for diver rods. We can only fish two rods per license here, so I'm maxed out with this simple rig. If I need another couple of lines I can stack the riggers, I guess. There are all kind of accessories for the tracks, too. Ball holders, cup holders, cleats, step pads. They're pricey but I'm happy with them.

pckeen

Commander
Love it - great fishing rig. The plan to put a new OB on it is a good one - it should give you real peace of mind when you are on the water.