Starcraft Splash Of The Year Award Nominations

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
So I respectfully nominate all those with no *. 850Merc, Gibbles, Iamsaws and bobski jr. That gives us twelve.
GA, given that we're attempting to limit to 10, I think it more diplomatic not to nominate 12 and then ask 2 to decline. We have a deadline date. I suggest that rather than group nominate some that are not interested, let's wait and include individual nominations as they arrive and are individually confirmed. As jb has indicated, no one wants to ask a nominee to decline. I know our process is not bound by Robert's Rules, but the principles behind those rules I'm sure are still important to our members. Anyone's thoughts? - Grandad

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When is the deadline to respond? And how many are you waiting for? I know not all twelve will want to be in the poll.

Go ahead and make me eat my words.:embarassed:

Tnstratofam

Commander
There are 6 confirms of those nominated. I know our 16SS is in the list, but she's not been nominated yet. I don't think. So I redid the transom repainted the stern, and splash well, and repaired some of the leaky rivets. There was some motor work involved, but the deck was redone by the previous owner "I hope! ", and I didn't do a total paint job. So technically she wasn't a complete resto like the others.

So here is my take. I am proud of the work We did. She is a great boat, and I'll probably keep her for many years. I have plans for some upgrades, and modifications so she will probably never be truly finished so to speak. That all being said if you need someone to bow out graciously I'd be happy to. I am honored even to be considered worthy among such great projects, and among so many great restorers.

Dave

Starcrafts Rule!!!!

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
There are 6 confirms of those nominated. I know our 16SS is in the list, but she's not been nominated yet. I don't think. So I redis the transom repainted the stern, and splash well, and repaired some of the leaky rivets. There was some motor work involved, but the deck was redone by the previous owner "I hope! ", and I didn't do a total paint job. So technically she wasn't a complete resto like the others.

So here os my take. I am proud of the work We did. She is a great boat, and I'll probably keep her for many years. I have plans for some upgrades, and modifications so she will probably never be truly finished so to speak. That all being said if you need someone to bow out graciously I'd be happy to. I am honored even to be considered worthy among such great projects, and among so many great restorers.

Dave

Starcrafts Rule!!!!

Thanks Dave. It may be premature for you to enter and wise for you to make the modifications that you plan and enter SOTY later when they're complete. I'm not sure we've ever declared exactly what/when a splash is official anyway. I am sure there are many fishermen who don't want to keep their projects out of the water until the re-upholstery or the bimini top or the galley is complete. In the end, I expect our members to vote for the greatest accomplishment shown to date for the entries, so unless you say otherwise, just stand down and keep accomplishing. She looks great so far. - Grandad

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
When is the deadline to respond? And how many are you waiting for? I know not all twelve will want to be in the poll.

Go ahead and make me eat my words.:embarassed:

Hey GA, I'm not trying to make you eat your words, honest. Nominations end at midnight Jan 5 after which jbcurt has agreed to open the voting in a new polling thread. I understand that the website limit of one polling thread is 10 entries and it would be best if we could avoid multiple threads like last year. - Grandad

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
How are you coming along with the confirmations Grandad?

Hi Glen. I've been updating the confirmations from nominees as they are received by private message. See the "Entry confirmed" after each of the nominees in post #1 above. So far, all 7 of the nominees wish to stand. There's 3 more available spaces for nominations. - Grandad

Tnstratofam

Commander
:bump2: Hello fellow Tin heads what's the word? Nominations that's the word. Any more or are we stuck because of so many members treading lightly due to the forum snafu's? Jan 5th is just around the corner. If you think someones craft deserves a shot you're running out of time to say so. There was allot of hard work put into some amazing tin this year. Just a friendly reminder from a fellow tin head.:tinfoil3::becky:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lots of fellas are MIA for forum hiccup, work and family reasons this year.

That's often the case around the holidays, that's why we start the discussion in Nov, it lasts thru Dec and nominations don't close until after the holiday season is over.

Admittedly, this year is lighter then usual, but 7-10 nominations is about usual, if you ignore last year's bloated 14+/-, and I take a huge hit for that. I nominated more then 1.

Good luck to all the nominees...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Technically GA nominated all the tin splashes we had. I dropped out of the running due to mine not being a total resto. That left 11 potentials. I guess the real question is how many confirmations are there, and are we missing anybody?

dozerII

Admiral
There are 7 confirmed and I think 5 missing that have been contacted via PM with no response.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi guys. I just sent a last minute private message to 850Merc, Gibbles, iamsaws and budski (re jr) reminding each that nominations close soon. As Glen says, at this point, we have 7 nominations listed as confirmed in post #1 at the beginning of this thread. - Grandad

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bump
Nominations Received:

Watermann?s 1970 18? Chieftain I/O ? Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...raft-chieftain

DozerII?s 1976 18? Holiday I/O ? Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...120#post634709

SigSaurP229's 1974 16? Super Sport O/B ? Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...-with-the-16ss

WeepnWilly?s 1972 24? Chieftain I/O ? Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...oject?t=580639

cj8mule's 1974 21? Chieftain I/O ? Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...mercruiser-i-o

Inmotion?s 1969 14? Falcon O/B - Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...title?t=541533

budski's 2000 19' Starfire O/B - Entry confirmed
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...1900-refurbish

By my count there's a couple nominations that didn't respond, so if you nominated a boat and it isn't in the list above, you should try to contact them via a means outside the forum if possible. Grandad did notify them via a PM they'd been nominated, but they may not have gotten the PM. If they didn't accept/confirm the nomination, they aren't on the list for SOTY 2014.

Nominations close in 12 hours, @12Midnight EST.

Good luck to all the nominees and watch for an Official 2014 SOTY poll Topic to be started after Midnight tonight.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Nominations are :closed_2:. Next up - The vote. Good luck!