1981 18 SS

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know. WM. Sounds like Murph set the alarm clock and beat Doz to the shop. :eek:

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks Guys what a battle but I think we won, no splash this weekend as we still need to put the fuel tank back in and order a fuel pump. So here's the story so grab one of your favorite carbonated beverages ( I Did )and read along

According to Michigan Motorz to put the new style 3.0 liter( one piece rear main seal) in to a pre 1992 boat there are a few extra parts needed. 1. new 12.5"fly wheel, 2. new three bolt coupler, and 3. an adapter plate to attach the large port intake/exhaust manifold to the head, which by the moves the manifold almost 3/4inch to the ports side making the rubber exhaust tube a bear to line up.. No problem we ordered the required pieces and as posted we had them all installed on the motor by 10pm Friday night, all seemed to go well. I was up by 4am and back in the hanger at 415, Darcy joined me an hour later. Turns out the new style coupler has a grease fitting to lube the splines that grinds a slot in part of the transom assembly if you install it, real fun to get out once the motor is bolted in. Okay were over that kick in the junk, get the motor alignment done, all the new wiring for the Delco Voyager distributor, out drive installed, and the boat outside and hooked to the muffs to fire. Start cranking it and not getting it to fire, no fuel in the carb, check the discharge from the fuel pump and nothing, remove the fuel pump
( which I just put a new filter in) and when you stroke it it's blowing out the vent hole $%^^$, so I look around and remembered the 4.3 out of the itchy boat looks like that pump will fit, just had to change the clock position of the bottom half, install it and crank some more, still no fuel, but we pour a little down the carb and it fires and runs a little but there is a real bad grinding sound, try again still a grinding sound, start looking around and there is a whole wack of aluminum shavings in the bilge bellow the bell housing, pull the starter nothing there, so we have to pull the motor. In the mean time as we disconnect the fuel line from the tank there is this nasty smelling honey colored gas in the line what the ^*$%. So we try to pull some fuel out of the supply line and can't get any, then I pull off the brand new spin on water seperating filter and dump the contents in a glass jar looks just like honey and smells terrible, we took the tank out 3/4 full, and it had been steamed out and dried spotless in January, dumped the gas into old jugs but it looked clear and good??? Only thing I can figure is the filter is no good. Now back to the grinding problem. Yikes pulled bell housing and the way it is cast in aluminum the port half is stepped in towards the flywheel approximatley 1/8" causing the coupler bolts to catch this step on the way by. I had to use a little Redneck engineering to fix this, not only did it grind into the bell housing it put a small crack in it. I ground the heads of the 3/8"coupler bolts down about 1/8" and ground out all the rub marks in the housing, then we painted the bolt heads and the inside of the housing put it back on and spun the motor to check for contact, took the housing back off and found no rubbed off paint so we have clearance, JB welded a strip of aluminum over the outside of the small crack last night just for peace of mind.
This morning we decided to set the motor up and run it on the ground prior to installation. Ya right @#$%. turns out the timing is pretty hard to get right on these the first time, but we did finally kick Murphy's @#$$. After running it for 20 minutes at 1200 rpm to break the cam in, it took us exactly 1 hour to put the motor back in, hook up the wires and re-install the outdrive. Now I just have to order a new fuel pump.

GA_Boater

So just a normal day in the shop with Murphy lending a hand! :eek:

Is the fuel pump the old one?

Tnstratofam

Commander
The new motor sounds real good. Apparently I didn't fool Murphy very good this morning by dragging out tools. Since I didn't really work on anything today he must have known I was just trying to mess with him. I'm sure he'll show up tomorrow since he did his nasty business at your place this weekend. The bell housing incident would have sent lesser folks running for the hills.:faint2: Glad to see you all got it sorted out, and still impressed by yourall's hard work.:thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah, man that is awesome you're overcoming those hurdles ole Murphs been throwing your way. Yeah sometimes you have to do what's necessary when it comes to repairs. I think I would've had a fit when that coupler problem struck. All I had to do this morning is grind down the diameter of a t-stat to make it fit and I thought I was being a redneck engineer. :yo:

She should scoot real well with that new 3.0 in her, it's got a very nice sound for a little 4 banger. Way easier to put a donor set up together than trying to upgrade new to old. Nice work! :thumb:

Decker83

Commander
Ole Murphy just wants to keep hanging on..:nightmare:
Looks like you kicked his a@#$% though..
Very nice sounding motor..
Wish I could have done 1/3 the work you gentlemen did this weekend..
Have a fantastic week..

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice work Glen.... imagine paying a marine mechanic for that mess of work :eek:

dozerII

Admiral
The new motor sounds real good. Apparently I didn't fool Murphy very good this morning by dragging out tools. Since I didn't really work on anything today he must have known I was just trying to mess with him. I'm sure he'll show up tomorrow since he did his nasty business at your place this weekend. The bell housing incident would have sent lesser folks running for the hills.:faint2: Glad to see you all got it sorted out, and still impressed by yourall's hard work.:thumb:

Thanks tns, ya that Murphy is tough to fool once he kicks the Monkey off and climbs on.

Oh yeah, man that is awesome you're overcoming those hurdles ole Murphs been throwing your way. Yeah sometimes you have to do what's necessary when it comes to repairs. I think I would've had a fit when that coupler problem struck. All I had to do this morning is grind down the diameter of a t-stat to make it fit and I thought I was being a redneck engineer. :yo:

She should scoot real well with that new 3.0 in her, it's got a very nice sound for a little 4 banger. Way easier to put a donor set up together than trying to upgrade new to old. Nice work! :thumb:

Thanks Rob, and ya I had a fit over the fly wheel, but when you live in the middle of no where you learn to improvise.

Ole Murphy just wants to keep hanging on..:nightmare:
Looks like you kicked his a@#$% though..
Very nice sounding motor..
Wish I could have done 1/3 the work you gentlemen did this weekend..
Have a fantastic week..

Thanks Deck, I think I'm going to pay for it most of the week.

Nice work Glen.... imagine paying a marine mechanic for that mess of work :eek:

Thanks cj, it wouldn't be happening if I had to pay.

Sounds like you had a busy day! Good making progress!

Thanks hayko.

dozerII

Admiral
A little update, customer service YA Right, called Michigan Motorz to ask about the engine coupler problem, and thier response was yup we run into that quite often, So why not tell us about it, Oh ya and also the fuel pump may not work on it either, WOW:eek:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Good lord, really? Not sure I'd be real happy with them. :confused:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmm

hasnt someone posted MM as being 1 of the 'good' places to buy stuff?

Sorry to hear they could use some help in the customer TLC dept..... bummer....

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Dang! Start referring to them as Murphy Motors!! They're even nice enough to allow you to walk right into his ambush!

Nice job working through the issues!!

GA_Boater

Hmm

hasnt someone posted MM as being 1 of the 'good' places to buy stuff?

Sorry to hear they could use some help in the customer TLC dept..... bummer....

Almost every time some asks about a place to get a rebuilt motor, JB!

Glen, that's a long block, isn't it? Was the non-working pump was included? I would re-torque everything for peace of mind.

dozerII

Admiral
Thanks for the reply's everyone, they were great to deal with fast shipping and all. All they had to do is put a warning on the first page of the instructions that there may be a clearance issue and a person would check for it. GA this is a brand new GM 3.0 liter, oil pan, valve cover, water pump, and Delco Voyager distributor. The fuel pump was the original from the 140 and does not have the right shape arm even though it bolts up.

Decker83

Commander
They should have warned you about any fore seen problems when selling you all the parts for this change out..
I would have given them a really hard time on the phone and demanded to speak with a person that could give a refund of some sort for
all the damage it caused..
Maybe a letter to the headquarters about a refund or replacement on the damage part..

dozerII

Admiral
The new motor runs really good, we spent a little time on breaking her in, then it warmed up and it was time for Darcy to get the family out in her for some fishing. We did find that the boat tends to stand up way to high on the bow before coming on plane, I think she is going to get some Smart tabs.