Re-purposing a Starcraft Bowlight!

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Just wanted to share this idea with you Starcraft fans....

When I did my Permanent Vacation project, I put a new bow light on the boat and have been hanging onto the original. I wanted to use it somehow, and finally got a real cool (I think! :D) idea to make a night light out of the old one. All I did was plug a 5w night light fixture into an extension cord, and mount it inside the bow light using plastic wire ties, then put an inline switch in the extension.

For a base, I just used a compass to trace out the base on a piece of oak-faced 3/4" plywood & put in a 1/8" wood spacer to make room for the cord to come out. Nutnin' fancy, pitting and all! It looks a little rough, but I tell myself it's a classic...! Then some stain and a few coats of urethane, & screw it together.

Now I can look at it and dream of evening cruises on the lake while I wait for winter to leave us in April!

Sitting on top of my vintage VCR!:

wDSC_1179.jpg

w1176amp1177composite.jpg

wDSC_1347.jpg

wDSC_1339.jpg

wDSC_1181.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great idea, :thumb: wish the one off the Chief wouldn't have been completely ruined I could have made one of those up for my man room.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Cool! I kept my old airguide speedometer just 'cause it looks cool. No idea what to do with it. I really love the light.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That is a great way to put it to good use. I think it makes a good conversation starter as well. When someone asks what the light is off of you can tell them about your boat resto.

lakelover

Rear Admiral
That is a great way to put it to good use. I think it makes a good conversation starter as well. When someone asks what the light is off of you can tell them about your boat resto.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, then I'll have an excuse to even drag out the pictures!

chemicalwire, that speedo is really a thinker! Not sure what to do with that.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
NICE! Great for walking around in the house in the dark too.

VHS? :D