Help identifying year of Starcaft

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone help identify the year of this supersport?
serial # 994118 if that helps
Plexiglass windshield
Blue seats with white side panels
pic of bow rails since they seem to change with the years

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There should be a data plate by the controls or on the inner transom. That number is only 6 digits long and doesn't appear to have the year in it. Your DMV should be able to run that hull # for you unless it's been purged from the system in the 17 years since it was licensed.

Last edited:

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
The plate is where i got the serial number from , there were no other numbers on the plate except for weight capacity

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Post up a pic of the data plate. Check the stern for a HIN stamped in the AL, should be on the starboard side I believe. Pre 1972 the HIN was not required by the CG.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look here for the HIN actually stamped into the hull or a small riveted plate:
boat_diagram.jpg

Should be a 12digit #

Does it look like there was a plate at some point and it's now missing

Spend some time really looking, some have found the HIN buried under layers of paint.

If it's missing, then it's likely pre 1974. You don't have the title or registration paperwork? It should list the year, if you don't have it, does the state where you live require either?

Look thru the Starcraft brochure pages at the top of the SC forum homepage. Most Starcrafts came in a single color per model year, and the colors weren't repeated the next year.

How long is your SS? Based on what I can tell in the fuzzy pix, it's likely a 16ft since it's not rated for above 90hp. If it was, it'd likely be an 18ft'r....

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
its a 16 ft supersport the only plate is the one in the pic and the only number on it is the one i gave in the post and its a 6 digit serial number
I'll have to look some more tomorrow I just brought it home.
I dont have any paper work with it but that wont hinder me from registering it
and its rated for 85 hp I'll get a better pic with my camera 2moro the phone pics are unreadable
thanks

Tnstratofam

Commander
Welcome to the Starmada. More pics will be welcomed as we love looking at old tin. What are your plans for her?

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
hi tnstratofam
im planning on putting probably a whole new floor even the only the bow seems soft put why do part of it.
the transom actually looks solid so i don't know if it will be worth ripping that out and replacing it
and some kind of repaint is in order looks like somebody painted over the original white without even washing it , it's peeling like a snake
Then I'm hooking it up to the back of the F150 and dragging it to FL , this is my last cold PA winter.
I'm moving in may or june and this old starcraft will like myself be spending the rest of its days on the st johns river and lake george fishin and bikini watchin
I figure why move south and have to look around for a decent boat when I can buy one cheap here put a few dollars and some elbow grease into one and know what I have.
And i always liked the aluminum starcrafts

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sounds like a good plan. Mine had a good floor, but a rotten transom in her when we bought her. I redid the transom in the spring, and we used her all summer. I am looking for a Chief to restore now. I think these old tin boats deserve a second chance, and there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here to help us get them back on the water.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
I read through your transom repair thread end to end nice job
That boat of yours looked pretty when you got it i like the brown paint scheme.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Based on the brochures, I'm leaning towards '71/'72...curved side windscreen section & this was the 1st year that they have that style StarCraft emblem.

My hull plate ID tag was on the starboard side transom skin...directly under the corner bracket.

Last edited:

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
ok i thought it looked like a 72 but the few 72's i've seen had white seats , I wasn't sure if seat colors changed with the years or not.
I'll look for the hull stamped number , somebody painted and and probably painted over it and I just over looked it.
Thanks for the curved window info too , I didn't even notice that there were differences

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
I still cant find a number on the back of the boat , my neighbors are probably wondering if im losing it.
I was out there for a half hour with a magnifying headset looking real hard and rubbing the transom

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Star - I don't think you will find a HIN. I've seen 3 types of HINs on aluminum boats. One was a hand engraved state issued HIN and it looked like it. A second was a factory installed plate, with raised edges to protect the stamped numbers which was riveted to the starboard transom. And the final HIN was a state issued sticker on the starboard transom, the type I have. I don't know if any of us have seen a factory stamped HIN on the transom, but they may be out there - I haven't seen it. If you do have a factory stamped HIN, it's pretty deep and hard to cover with paint without a lot of effort.

Also, I think you have a pre '72 SS judging by the plexi windshield and lack of a center window, so no HIN. Your SN plate is it. I don't know if anyone has asked if you have any official paperwork?

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank you watermann and ga_boater my boat is the same color as the one in the ad but mine has blue seats rather than white and the bow rails are shaped different. I don't have any paperwork and don't really need it I just had no idea for sure what year it was , but I'm figuring the 1971 is close enough
If there are any other hull markings I'll find them while im redoing the boat.
I almost have the garage cleaned out enough to pull it in and start the winters work , i noticed a crack on one of the aluminum end caps at the transom so I'll have to hunt one of those up too.
I have until spring before i move to fl. so hopefully i wont have any major malfunctions.
Thank you all again