Could use some help identifying this Starcraft. Potential Project

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks,

I have a buddy who wants to to trade a truck I've got for this Starcraft. I paced it off and guess it's 18-20 feet. HIN can probably tell us the year (but I'm not familiar with decoding HINs and could use some help). It's got a 4 Cylinder inboard/outboard. As you can see, it would be a major restoration project.

I'm interested in what year and model it is. Any good/bad about that particular engine, outdrive, etc.

Thanks for looking and any info!

Clem

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Need the hin to tell the year. Looks like it might be a 18ft Super Sport. Like lckstk asked whats the truck worth? Is there a trailer available?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks to me like an early 70's 18' SS. Hopefully the outdrive has been removed and stored properly and isn't drove into the dirt back there. The OD will be the older MC type that if bad I would upgrade to an Alpha series. No trailer obviously is a problem. If the truck is a Toyota Hi-Lux or only worth about 300 bucks then make the trade.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
'76 SS. '75 was the last year for the side rub-rail.

MNhunter1

Ensign
If the truck runs, I'd keep it. In its current state, that Starcraft would be a freebie in these parts.

I'd vote 18 SS as well, maybe even longer.

dozerII

Admiral
I agree with CC, 76 18 SS, Mercruiser 120 4 cyl, great economical motor. If it was winterized before being discarded she might be good.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Oops...I forgot to post the photo of the HIN. I'll post it below.

What displacement is that 4 cylinder and is it a Chevy? I want to do some research on it (like, how I can put a SBC in there ;)).

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The outdrive is still on it but it was evidently already messed up and he has a "good" one to go along with it (I'll need to do some due-diligence on that as well).

Finding a Starcraft with an inboard/outboard in these parts is not easy. They come along, but not every day (and some of them have that aluminum block ford with an iron big-block head that I've learned I should avoid).

If I end up with this boat, there is a strong possibility it would be repowered during the rebuild.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've seen some really amazing restos of these tin boats. waterman did an amazing job on his cheif, and dozerII has done some great restos on his Starcrafts. I really think they are good platforms for restoration, and or modification. A small block Chevy would be pretty awesome. Good luck, and keep us posted on your plans.I don't know what numbers on the hin are the year so I'm no help there. Someone will be along soon to set us straight.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doubt you want to step up to a SBC V8, a 4.3L V6 will likely be PLENTY in a 16ftr..... even if you own your own gas pump, stepping up to a V6 or a V8 will drastically change your fuel bill over a straight 4.

I dont know for sure about the long blocks, but you definitely want to use marine components & bolt ons not var/truck units. Spark arresters and being certified for on the water use are an important part of keeping your boat safe. Legal too...

1975 SS, last 2digits @HIN # in this case. Sometimes its a different style of HIN that uses coded date/year.

dozerII

Admiral
That 120 would be a 153 cubic inch, look on the starboard side of the motor above the starter where the fly wheel cover bolts on, there should be a steel plate with the engine serial #, it will give you all the needed info for ordering parts.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Doubt you want to step up to a SBC V8...

I realize it wouldn't be a popularly-supported choice.

If I went that direction it would not be about "need."

It could all be moot...just depends on if I end up with the boat.

Thanks for the help all!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If you pull the trigger on that SS I think we can be of some assistance in the re-power. A 4.3L V6 would be my first choice for that size of boat.

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Waterman. I'm re-reading your thread now (well...to be honest, I'm scrolling through and mostly looking for photos ;)). Great stuff!

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Given the fact that my primary boating is done on the Missouri River...I would also be interested in putting it together with a jet pump setup. That would be interesting!