1968 Starcraft; What to look for?

tencrore

Recruit
So I got the bug for a boat restoration and I found a 68 Starcraft on CL which I plan on looking at later today. As I've never owned a boat, let alone restored one, I humbly ask for your advice on what to look for? Other than any obvious hull damage, are there any sneaky hiding places that a typical once over will not show? Attached is the only pic that the seller has listed. 00m0m_12sAR5TQKUi_600x450.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
From the 1 pix it looks like this might be a fiberglass SC not aluminum.

Do you know which?

Advice varies depending on which?

Advice will vary depending on how much they're asking too.

A $300 project aluminum boat w/out a motor could be a DEAL.

A $1200 glass project w a motor might not be...

MNhunter1

Ensign
Yeah, looks like a glasser from the pic. 1st piece of advice...find one in aluminum instead:)

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The method StarCraft uses to make their fiberglass stringers makes for an easier rebuild than most other boats with wooden stringers.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The method StarCraft uses to make their fiberglass stringers makes for an easier rebuild than most other boats with wooden stringers.

for a period in the 50s & 60s I know you're right for some models. All models??? Have they changed it since the mid 60s?

A 1965+/- was the latest i remember SEEING glass stringers and they had delaminated from the hull..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Rotten anything wood on a glass boat is bad news from an investment or having a usable boat standpoint but if the boat has been recently restored by the owner I would ask him what all he did. To some guys putting a new layer of plywood over the old rotten decking makes it all good. If it's a project boat just be sure you're in love with the craft otherwise you two may have a break up after you bring her home.

64osby

Admiral
Being a glass boat I would pass unless the owner had repaired everything and it was ready for the water. Even then they might have to pay me to tow it away.

Find an aluminum boat for your first project.

calipilot

Recruit
Did you end up looking at it? If you picked it up make sure to keep us updated on your progress!