Disposing of 1962 16' Jupiter

ziggy101

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1962, 16' Jupiter I have had for many years. I had a leak in bottom earlier this year at one of the breaks where they bent the wood pattern in the bottom, right along the ridge, it split at this ridge, about 4" long. I bent a plate to match the profile and riveted it on, after an attempt to weld failed (weld cracked). Patch held, but now the ridge is split adjacent to the patch. at this point I am assuming I might as well forget the boat and get rid of it. Would there be any value to this boat? Can I recycle it somehow for the aluminum? just don't know what to do with it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Those are hard places to repair and welding causes more problems. I would try to sell it on CL, you might find a buyer with the skill to fix it. If you do decide to recycle her, you won't really get a lot of money for her. That's why trying CL is worth a shot.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
take some pics. You may have bandaided the boo-boo but didnt rectify the root of the problem.

If the ridge you are referring to is the spray rail....this is common with pre-1979 starcrafts and we know how to fix it. :thumb:

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
take some pics. .
Yep

If the ridge you are referring to is the spray rail....this is common with pre-1979 starcrafts and we know how to fix it. :thumb:
Yep again :thumb:

Another option would be to give it to another Starmadian looking for a project. That's what I did, Sig & I traded, he's having some parts fab'd for me and got an early 60's 16ft Jup........

Just have to keep those transactions to PM's & other means other then the open Iboats forums.