What have I gotten myself into......

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
only the most hardy or those that live in the deep south will go at it outdoors in the winter and not loose interest.

Never fear if you dont have a shop. I'm doing mine in the driveway with sub assemblies being done in the back yard. But I'm one of those hardy people mentioned above. haha It drops below 40 degrees in the AM for maaaybeee 10 days a year. I doubt there are any days that it stays below 40 all day.... But the day I removed the foam from my hull, the thermometer on the boat console said 118 in the sun and was 108 when in the shade. PLUS humidity. It was miserable!
It looks like you are in So Cal, or somewhere in the Southwest by the pics. So maybe you have year round working weather too.

PS, the absolute WORST part of doing a boat restoration is removing the wet foam!!!! Mine was fairly dry and it looks like your boat interior is dry rotting. MUCH better to deal with than wet rot!!!

SEA-U-LATER

Cadet
Red Bluff is Northern California. It is located along the Sacramento river 2 hrs passed our state capital of Sacramento. We are 1 hr from Shasta Lake that is currently a mud puddle due to no rain, Red Bluff is only 4 hr from the coast of Eureka and 2 hrs to snow skiing. It gets very hot during the summer 110-120 usually dry. So enought about Red Bluff for now.
I know that between 1975-80 the rivits were replaced by the factory. The motor was running but it needs a rubber connector thingy:joyous: between the out drive and the motor.Ok I sounded like I knew what I was talking about....not my cousin told me. I was thinking of changing the motor to a outboard due to the lack of replacement parts and room what do you think.

jbcurt00

Staff member
No need to swap to an outboard, that would require lots of fab work including knee bracing and splashwell. Outdrive bellows maybe what your cousin was referring to. I used to live in Marin County and my sisters family is still in Arcata. Sorry to hear Shasta is suffering from lack of water. I've never been, but my sister goes to Shasta regularly to camp and snow ski. That Mercruiser setup lends it self to a hp upgrade to a VV6, if you want, but should still have plenty of parts support for an older I/O setup.

SEA-U-LATER

Cadet
I belive I will strip the boat all the way and start fresh. I want it to be in my family for another 45 years. So I want to do it right the first time. What are some ideas for the flooring. I know I do not want carpet. I want to start in the front and work backwards. what do you guys think?

SEA-U-LATER

Cadet
WOW guess what i found it looks to be the original 1965-70 starcraft parts and accessory manual and master price list.lol think they will honor the prices:eek:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
First off we need to start working on your vocabulary... In a boat there is no such thing as flooring... It's decking. ;)

Ok, now on to the important stuff, Oh H E double L NO on desecrating her glorious Mercruiser soul for an outboard! OK, so it's your boat and you can do what you want but before my Chief I knew nothing... zip... nodda... zilch about Mercruiser. Now I freaking love them... the IO config and it's zen ways are perfection.

Bluefin just finished a beautiful Chief like yours with the very same motor so you'll have no trouble finding someone here in the know, he's pretty active in the forum. Check out all of the Chief threads here and get some ideas and inspiration...

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ft-rebuilds-and-restorations-they-re-all-here

SEA-U-LATER

Cadet
First off we need to start working on your vocabulary... In a boat there is no such thing as flooring... It's decking. ;)
Ok, now on to the important stuff, Oh H E double L NO on desecrating her glorious Mercruiser soul for an outboard! OK, so it's your boat and you can do what you want but before my Chief I knew nothing... zip... nodda... zilch about Mercruiser. Now I freaking love them... the IO config and it's zen ways are perfection.
Bluefin just finished a beautiful Chief like yours with the very same motor so you'll have no trouble finding someone here in the know, he's pretty active in the forum. Check out all of the Chief threads here and get some ideas and inspiration...
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ft-rebuilds-and-restorations-they-re-all-here

Watermann;
Thank you again for the info. Ineed more information on bluefin's when I tried to find him a ton came up would really like to look at his resto

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That Mercruiser is going to get much better fuel economy than an equivalent power outboard. And be much quieter too.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would convert that thing to an outboard. I have my horror stories of my 21 chief and the outdrive. Short story is in less than 250 hrs the outdrive went out, motor broke a timing gear, drive coupler splines went out, just this year manifold ate through. So minus labor (do the work my self, no issues with my work). Engine cost 3k, outdrive 1.6 k, manifold $600, other misc. Into it for $6,000 plus and missed out on several weeks of good fishing. I would get the outdrive hole welded close, cut the transom for an outboard, build a nice splash well and put a good 115 hp outboard on it, with a 15hp kicker. Or go twin 60 hp motors. I am sick tired of outdrive/engine issues, winterizing, and such. As of right now I never plan on owning a i/o again. I do like the looks of an i/o boat better and you can land fish right over the back of the boat. Outboards are safer, no alternator, starter, carb inside the boat. My next starcraft rebuild is hopefully a 25' Chief with twin outboards or I plan to build a renn tolman great alaskan with twin outboards.
The new 4 stroke outboards get good fuel mileage and are not noisy. I guess I comes down to how many hours are going to use the boat and where. I use mine 100% ocean fishing 2-20 miles off shore. Would love to run 40 miles for tuna but with the i/o I just won't. good luck and it will interesting to see your build.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being a first time boat restoration, I would leave it an outdrive. the 250 cubic inch motor in there will easily last another 45 years with proper maintenance

horror stories aside, as boats and their drivelines do not generally die or wear out, they are usually murdered from lack of proper maintenance. Then again, anything man made will fail. that includes outboards, inboards, v-drives, i/o's and even sails on blow boats.

Sea-U-Later, its your boat, we can help

dozerII

Admiral
Ditto on what Scott above says, the straight sixes and fours, are almost bullet proof and very reliable with some general maintainance.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
almost bullet proof, my 4 banger chevy (ran good did not burn oil), broke the timing gear 5 miles out in the ocean then dumped salt water in the engine because I was doing 20 mph when she broke.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
almost bullet proof, my 4 banger chevy (ran good did not burn oil), broke the timing gear 5 miles out in the ocean then dumped salt water in the engine because I was doing 20 mph when she broke.

and you replaced your manifold and risers every 5 years because you were in salt water? the motor would not ingest salt water and break a timing gear unless your maniflold and risers were bad.

SEA-U-LATER

Cadet
Thank you all for everything so far. I love all the comment's. FYI I'm back to work at my real job and on the weekend of the 10th will be starting my destruction. I have remodeled many homes so I can do this. A little apprehensive but sure once I get started I will be fine:)

Franzel311

Seaman
Hey welcome and good luck!!! I just finished my boat project it started in the beginning of April I worked on it every day after work till the last week of august my oll lady hated it and said I was married to the boat and not her any more but when it was FINALY done that first trip with it was priceless and now I can't keep her n the kid off of it...it's worth the work and it will bring you some of the best memories!!! Good luck and full steam ahead!!!!!!