Road Trip

dozerII

Admiral
So after a real good inspection, the hull is great other than paint scratchs. Interior is actually in surprisingly good condition, other than a few tears in the vinyl and very dirty. The floors and transom are solid, the boat has been kept dry all it's life. The wiring is a total disaster and will need a complete redo. I plan to get it running this week and was hoping to take it out for a test splash on the weekend, but with the torn bellows, gimbal bearing and ujoints may be bad, and the wiring, I think I will just go with running it on a hose.

Will post some pics and progress as it happens.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice score. Lot of miles but certainly looks like a well worthy trip.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Awesome road trip with a great story leading to an awesome deal. Hope the wiring, and the other minor things go smoothly.

dozerII

Admiral
Nice score. Lot of miles but certainly looks like a well worthy trip.

Thanks WnW

Awesome road trip with a great story leading to an awesome deal. Hope the wiring, and the other minor things go smoothly.

Thanks, she will probably just get a complete rebuild, unless we decide to touch up the wiring and do the bellows and such so we can test splash it in the spring.

dozerII

Admiral
Well heaven forbid this boat sat for very long before I started tearing into it. Really glad I decided not to put her in the water, it wouldn't have been good. I pulled the out drive and this is what it looks like.

Drive shaft and u-joints

Gimbal bearing.

There is a piece laying in the exhaust passage that is not supposed to be there.

Here it is laying on the outdrive, exhaust shutters.

Got the starter cleaned up and working, some ATF in the cylinders, will patch up the alternator wiring tomorrow and it should be ready to fire up.

64osby

Admiral
I can just hear the Admirals', those boys and their toys.:D

Very well done to the both of you.:joyous:

InMotion

Commander
Sometimes extra parts are good... sometimes not... in this case most definitely not!!! Glad you are into it... Glen TV resumes.............. :)

dozerII

Admiral
i knew you were not going to wait very long ! man you get after it, keep us posted

Know what ya mean, there is no such thing as an all day sucker in my world:rofl::rofl:

I can just hear the Admirals', those boys and their toys.:D

Very well done to the both of you.:joyous:

Thanks 64

Sometimes extra parts are good... sometimes not... in this case most definitely not!!! Glad you are into it... Glen TV resumes.............. :)

Thanks Jim, not understanding the extra parts comment:stupid: maybe I'm still suffering from lack of sleep.

dozerII

Admiral
I guess when it's right, it's right. I put some atf I the cylinders yesterday and left it till this afternoon. Cranked the motor over and had no spark, so I put the points in that I took out of my Holiday, hooked up a jerry can of gas to the fuel pump and whala.

upload_thumbnail

dozerII

Admiral
Okay that didn't work, it is easier to get the motor running than post a video.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
You outdrive pics tell a great story and shows why it is important to remove and inspect outdrives every season. For the 5-10 bucks it cost for the gasket and a bit of labor can save a pile of money and/or avert a catastrophic failure on the water.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That's one smooth sounding merc! Clean her up and get the out drive sorted out, and you could quadruple your money on that beauty in a heartbeat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Getting caught up after a week in the mountains, nice score on the SS Glen. :thumb:

Sure glad the the little 140 didn't gulp in any water with the broken exhaust shutter (extra parts). Makes me feel better about removing my Chief's LU last week and checking it out after seeing that one of yours. 8 bucks for a genuine quicksilver gasket kit equals piece of mind for the long winter.

I also learned some tricks from the mechanic that I talked to, use bearing grease on the LU gasket so it doesn't stick so badly and bellows adhesive on the water O ring to hold it in place better. Looking forward to seeing your progress on her over the winter!

InMotion

Commander
Sounds sweet Glen! Nice work on getting it up and running...

Ya --- I was referring to the broken exhaust shutter before... :)

Ok... so what's up next on this little beauty!

Jim

InMotion

Commander
Happy Thanksgiving as well to all the Canadians still poking around the site here!! Enjoy!

Jim

dozerII

Admiral
Sounds great Glen.

Thanks John

You outdrive pics tell a great story and shows why it is important to remove and inspect outdrives every season. For the 5-10 bucks it cost for the gasket and a bit of labor can save a pile of money and/or avert a catastrophic failure on the water.

Thant's the truth, and an easy job if it's done yearly, this out drive was a bear to break loose.

That's one smooth sounding merc! Clean her up and get the out drive sorted out, and you could quadruple your money on that beauty in a heartbeat.

Thanks tns this SS will end up being the replacement for Darcy for the Naked Lady

Getting caught up after a week in the mountains, nice score on the SS Glen. :thumb:

Sure glad the the little 140 didn't gulp in any water with the broken exhaust shutter (extra parts). Makes me feel better about removing my Chief's LU last week and checking it out after seeing that one of yours. 8 bucks for a genuine quicksilver gasket kit equals piece of mind for the long winter.

I also learned some tricks from the mechanic that I talked to, use bearing grease on the LU gasket so it doesn't stick so badly and bellows adhesive on the water O ring to hold it in place better. Looking forward to seeing your progress on her over the winter!

Thanks H2O pulling the out drive yearly is a must do in my books, I think we are going to do the mechanicals on her over the winter and run her as she is while before the transformation begins.

Sounds sweet Glen! Nice work on getting it up and running...

Ya --- I was referring to the broken exhaust shutter before... :)

Ok... so what's up next on this little beauty!

Jim

Thanks Jim, Like I said still a little jet lag so to speak and the brain wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Happy Thanksgiving as well to all the Canadians still poking around the site here!! Enjoy!

Jim

Same to you Jim and the rest of the Canuck Tin Heads.