Road Trip

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
If we can work out the title issues, once she comes home it will go in storage for a couple years.

sell it to one of us in TN, we'll sell back to you with TN registration. We don't have titles so your state should accept.

dozerII

Admiral
Interested in a good cheap trailer? I have one I need to get rid of. It is parked north of Willmar, MN not far off of I-94 on your way to Minneapolis.
I bought this the other day for the motor and am going to junk the boat. http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/4667054926.html

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to bring a trailer down from Canada as it makes the return border crossing way easier.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Travel Safe. Hope you sneak thru and miss the bad weather

InMotion

Commander
Safe travels man! Looking forward to seeing some pics upon your return!!!

pckeen

Commander
Drive safe - looking forward to some pics, since the craigslist as is down...

dozerII

Admiral
Safe travels man! Looking forward to seeing some pics upon your return!!!

Thanks Jim

Drive safe - looking forward to some pics, since the craigslist as is down...

Thanks Peter.

Okay gotta pay my dues pics to follow: this will make you all think we are the epitome of crazy Canuks!!!! 3056 km/1956 miles
Darcy (Naked Ladys owner) left home at 11:30 AM drove 3.5 hours to arrive at my place at 3:05 on Friday, I had the trailer, tool boxes, spare parts, and paper work ready to go. At 3:20 we left, crossed the U.S. border at the wrong crossing ( didn't listen to the GPS) at 4:15 had to drive an additional 100k to get back on track. Darcy drove till midnight then I took over arrived in St. Paul Minnesota at 8AM local time, 7 Am our time. Met a totally awesome couple that owned the boat, (retiring from many years as a boat dealer, Mercruiser service center). I looked at the hull and decided it was worth the asking price and never looked at anything else, we did the paper work and went to a boat launch 2 blocks away launched the boat then put it on my trailer, strapped it down and were on the road at 8:40 local time. We drove 40 minutes and something didn't sound right, there was a real bad banging sound on bumps. In the mean time Darcy was going over the paper work and found that the P/O's had forgot to include in the Purchase price, ( a total must have to get into Canada) We stopped at a farm supply place to check the klunk and call the P/O's, they said they would print off a new Bill of sale and meet us where we were, wicked awesome. The klunking and banging turned out to be 0 tongue weight and the receiver hitch moving up and down. We slid the bow post forward and moved the boat ahead 6 inches plus put the spare tire and the FREE upper and lower units he threw in, with the totally unreasonable price of the boat of $300.00. We were just finishing up the trailer adjust when they drove in with the new paper work. We left again and drove till 10:00 last night, then went to sleep in the truck till 6AM this morning, went to a restaurant for our first good meal, looked at butchered 21 Islander that some one took a stringer out of and tried to make into outboard, then drove an hour to the U.S/ Canada border. The American border guard said we were crazy when he heard the story, the Canadian one looked at the Clist ad the bill of sale, said you left Friday afternoon at 4 drove 3000 k to by a $300.00 boat, put it on your own trailer, brought back 1 case of beer and a spare hub------------- HAVE A NICE DAY walked away shaking his head and never even collected the taxes.

Gotta love MBS

Oh ya and it came with that canvas cover.

Oh ya and the leak that the P/O said was a couple rivets ( the bottom of the hull has 0 damage ) is the drive bellows.

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Wow! What a deal....and what a story!!! Im a little surrised that a mercruiser dealer let a leaking bellows sneak by :lol:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats, dozer! That's serious effort for a deal, but wow, still a steal with all that driving.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For 300 bucks + gas + sore butt = a smokin' deal. Oh - one case of beer for the Canadian border guard, but it sounds like he forgot to take the beer along with the tax money. You and Darcy took another nice one to Iceland. :D

InMotion

Commander
$300 bucks and a story to tell the grandkids!!!! Nice work man! Looks like a super boat and with a great hull --- your in great shape for a gut and re-build! Too bad we gotta wait to see how this turns out!

J.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Awesome score Glen, looks like about a 1981 or so by the shape of the windshield, well worth the drive.

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer
great score dozer, and 1 quick trip later back in the land of the north. admiral probably never even missed ya/

dozerII

Admiral
Congrats, dozer! That's serious effort for a deal, but wow, still a steal with all that driving.

It was so Chem, but we figure if it's a running 81 SS for under a $1000. it's a great deal.

For 300 bucks + gas + sore butt = a smokin' deal. Oh - one case of beer for the Canadian border guard, but it sounds like he forgot to take the beer along with the tax money. You and Darcy took another nice one to Iceland. :D

Thanks GA, and 5the PO may have a lead on a real nice 2 Islander for me.;)

$300 bucks and a story to tell the grandkids!!!! Nice work man! Looks like a super boat and with a great hull --- your in great shape for a gut and re-build! Too bad we gotta wait to see how this turns out!

J.

Thanks Jim, hoping to get her running later this week.

Awesome score Glen, looks like about a 1981 or so by the shape of the windshield, well worth the drive.

Thanks John, your right on and 81 other than the dock rash the hull is perfect.

great score dozer, and 1 quick trip later back in the land of the north. admiral probably never even missed ya/

Thanks CC, well the Admirals were a little pissed at us yesterday morning, we knew the Cell service was a little sketchy in Montana but not non existent. when we got back to Malta MT night before last we were so beat we just sent a text to the Ladies say we were done and going to sleep, only thing is the texts never went thorugh cuz of no service. I guess were lucky the local Sherriff never came banging on the windows of the truck:D