cabin hull condensation

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
Any one coat the inside of the cabin hull with something that is easy to clean and reduces the condensation. Sleeping in the boat again and the inside of the hull gets damp from condensation.
I won't install carpet, to hard to clean if some fish splatter gets on it. At times I have the fish box in the cabin while fishing. Was thinking rubber bed liner, other options?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Since it's not that cold out yet for frost thaw. Moisture from breath in an enclosed area warmer than outside, about the only thing that would stop the build up would be active air movement... a fan moving the air through a vent.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't any direct experience, but if I was going to try to line the hull with something, I think I'd try using exercise mat material. It's about 3/8" thick cellular foam with a washable sealed surface. It might just give enough insulation value to stop condensation. You could experiment with a small piece temporarily stuck to the hull and see if it sweats before taking on a larger task. - Grandad

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Although ventilation will help reduce condensation, insulating is the fix for condensation.........IMO sheet armaflex is the best option, if it is in a exposed area it can be painted the a pliable white coating.....called armaflex WB finish.

I attached a link to a short video about armaflex to give you some idea of the product. Armaflex is one of many manufacturers of closed cell insulation

You could also use Reflectix but if exposed it is not pleasing to the eye, and it needs an air gap between the two surfaces to work properly.

nomrwrk

Seaman
In the winter I fill a couple of buckets with charcoal and place a lid with holes over the top of the bucket. I then put the buckets into the cuddy cabin. The charcoal absorbs the moisture, removes odor and helps to prevent mold. I do this in my barn too to prevent the hay from becoming moldy. The charcoal needs to be changed every month or two depending on the moisture level. Rock salt also works, but it doesn't filter the smell. BTW - were you fishing out of Newport last weekend? I think I saw your boat and you talked to my fishing buddies about our Tuna trip on my Chieftain when I was getting the trailer.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
nomrwrk, that was me I am back home now. Kid and I slept in the boat, wife stayed if grandpa/grandma in the trailer. Salmon fished friday. I have the 86 chief 21' tan/cream color white hull. With the white canvas top (started to leak) coated with rubber roof coating, been sealed water tight for the last 3 yrs. allowed me to delay building a hard top for her. Done fishing Newport for this year but plan to be back at it next year, hope for another great salmon season in 2015. I had a great year in 2014, except for my first trip when I discovered a cracked manifold the 2nd day of fishing. kind of ruined my first vacation, missed out on some great salmon fishing. Did ok the rest of the year after putting a new manifold and riser on. The salt water ate it out in 9 yrs. Engine has antifreeze in it, manifold does not. I saw 2 or 3 other chiefs and an Islander. Yours is the white/black with an I/O inline 6?

nomrwrk

Seaman
Sorry for the very late post. Yes, my chieftain is white and black with a 165 inline 6. It has been a great engine, burning between 4-5 gallons per hour. I have two 27 gallon fuel tanks on board. Even with the boat loaded to max with 15 tuna packed in ice in the bow, she runs efficiently.

I recently had to replace my manifold too, due to a small crack near the drain plug. It may be hard to believe, but it was the original 40 year old manifold. Missy is now winterized with antifreeze in the engine block and manifold. I discovered water in the outdrive, which was caused by a crack in the impeller housing. So that will be replaced this winter.

I'll be back in Newport fishing after the Spring thaw. I hope to see you in Newport and get some Salmon fishing pointers.