Thinking late 50s on this 14' alum?

Bielz

Recruit
Just picked this up with the trailer for 400 and I'm wondering if any one can give me a hand getting a year on it so I can figure out HP limits. HIN is state issued so its before 74 I believe. The reason I'm going 50s is the triple reinforcements on the transom, they went to one in later models correct? I've browsed through the catalogs and my best guess is a seafarer, I'm measuring 57 across the top of the ransom, which is scooped unlike the seafarer.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Weird. I just sold one just like it with trailer for $400. haha
Mine had no serial # either, but the previous owner had it registered as a 69 model. I have no way to know if that was correct. I know the guy that I sold it to. He has done a bunch of research on Tinboats.com forum and has also concluded that it IS a 69 model.

Bielz

Recruit
Weird. I just sold one just like it with trailer for $400. haha
Mine had no serial # either, but the previous owner had it registered as a 69 model. I have no way to know if that was correct. I know the guy that I sold it to. He has done a bunch of research on Tinboats.com forum and has also concluded that it IS a 69 model.
The '69 has fewer supports angled in the back, they only show one in the catalog that year.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's a bummer someone cut the transom down. I never will understand why people do that to a boat especially one without a splashwell.

Last edited:

Bielz

Recruit
I was wondering what kind of damage cutting the transom like that does, all I know is I definitely need a short shaft.

Not sure why i'm obsessing over the year. I may be measuring the transom wrong, its the measure from corner to corner up top correct? Its 57 inches which is wider than anything I can find starcraft making.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Its not older than 1958, that was the first year for that style hull, regardless of size. The earlier models had a much different shape, and if you go back far enough, they used steel not aluminum. Models prior to that style often used wood gunwales and end caps.

The three braces ran from 1958 to 1967. The widest model I've seen was a Marlin, built both as a 14 and 16' version. They had a 54" transom.
The 14' had a 15" transom, the 16' came as a 20" transom.
The Marlin was built from 1958 to 1966.

The transom width measurement is the actual effective width of the transom, measured minus the aluminum corner caps.

It also wouldn't be the first time I've seen a hull that didn't match any brochures, I had a 1963 runabout that no one could figure if it was a Jupiter, or a Starmist or Stardust model. It had features and specs that matched both and some that matched neither.

I'd also say its possible that Starcraft was building boats for other manufacturers at that time, possibly to a different size spec, and eventually badged a few as their own. There could also have been mid year model changes that never got to print?? There are various years where the only change in the printed brochure was printed year on the cover, its those years that seem to have the most discrepancies when it comes to catalog specs.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got two boats here that the year don't match the title, my 1964 Duratech title reads 1984, which is the year which it was brought to NJ, and titled here. Since the brand wasn't on their 'list', they called it a "Homemade 1984"
I bought a 2007 14' Seafarer in PA, from a former South Carolina resident, with no title, just a notarized bill of sale, which they didn't view it as a valid proof of ownership, I then had to have it inspected by the state and go through all sorts of BS and they finally granted me a title, which they said was for a 1973 14SF. The hull number clearly states the model and year, but the inspector called it a 1973 because he thought it looked like his old 1973. There was no arguing with the guy. He said if he calls it a 1973, then its a 1973. I took it as every boat he inspected got titled as a 1973 model. I didn't much care since it gave me a title with a matching hull number on it. My guess is that by now they've probably registered more 1973 models here than were ever made in the first place that year.

I currently own a 1970 Seafarer, its been in my family since new, it has one center knee brace and the transom is only 54" wide.

Personally I prefer the later single brace transom support design because the single brace connects the transom wood panel area to the first rib, where as on the triple brace system, each brace is only attached to the outer skin of the hull not any internal structure. There are also more rivets along both sides of the single brace on those hulls than on the triple brace models.
Over the years, I've seen a few boats with the braces pulled free of the floor or rivets pulled through from running with either too much power or rotted transom wood.
I've also seen a few single transom braces missing upper corners but that comes from interference with smaller motor clamps clamping down on the top two bolts.
Anything smaller than a 10hp usually has this problem.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got two boats here that the year don't match the title, my 1964 Duratech title reads 1984, which is the year which it was brought to NJ, and titled here. Since the brand wasn't on their 'list', they called it a "Homemade 1984"
I bought a 2007 14' Seafarer in PA, from a former South Carolina resident, with no title, just a notarized bill of sale, which they didn't view it as a valid proof of ownership, I then had to have it inspected by the state and go through all sorts of BS and they finally granted me a title, which they said was for a 1973 14SF. The hull number clearly states the model and year, but the inspector called it a 1973 because he thought it looked like his old 1973. There was no arguing with the guy. He said if he calls it a 1973, then its a 1973. I took it as every boat he inspected got titled as a 1973 model. I didn't much care since it gave me a title with a matching hull number on it. My guess is that by now they've probably registered more 1973 models here than were ever made in the first place that year.

I currently own a 1970 Seafarer, its been in my family since new, it has one center knee brace and the transom is only 54" wide.