My official 1967 18' Holiday restoration thread

64osby

Admiral
The one you were sent had a plate that could be screwed into the transom if needed.

Did I see in another pic that you have a tilt tube on your motor?

fetch

home-boy

Banned
Yes there is a tilt tube but the cable is at least a foot too short to reach it. The hillbilly way of making it work involved building (used loosely) a console from scrap wood and moving the steering box back a foot or so. It looked awful and was on the Merc I sold so I ripped it out and am attempting to do it right.

My boat originally had the cables and pulleys from the ancient Atwood steering I believe. My parts boat still had that setup.

I have that plate and was not sure of what to do with it. The white painted mount was already on my boat but was not in use when I bought it.

I'll get pics of the engine at lock to lock tomorrow.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The bolt holding on the ball post looks like it's ferrous metal and rusting. May as well go to the hardware store for a new longer SS one. Or use the plate that Os sent and plug the hole.

Too bad the steering cable is too short to go to the tilt tube.

home-boy

Banned
The bolt holding on the ball post looks like it's ferrous metal and rusting. May as well go to the hardware store for a new longer SS one. Or use the plate that Os sent and plug the hole.

Too bad the steering cable is too short to go to the tilt tube.

All my troubles would go away if it would reach.

Yes there was a smidgen of rust on the original bolt. This boat came from MS and the lower end of the Merc was eaten up so it must have seen some salt.

I can use the new ball post (zinc plated one) as it is shorter and I think I need that. The original white post puts the steering cable into more of a bind where it comes out of the gunwhale and makes the 90 over to the engine.

home-boy

Banned
More roadblocks in this steering setup. I may just punt and buy a new cable that is long enough to use the tube.

64osby

Admiral
You may want to post in the steering section. Maybe a few expert guys on the site that could help.

I have never used the steering tube setup, removed a few, but never set one up.:eek:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Maybe it would be too much of a good thing and mahogany isn't normally used as decking like teak.

home-boy

Banned
I guess we are closing this one down. Smurf left with her new owner today. I will be using all the parts I have accumulated to restore "The Office" :joyous: