My official 1967 18' Holiday restoration thread

home-boy

Banned
Here she is!

Running a Chrysler 120 (sold the Merc for 2x the boat price)

I will be using this as a parts boat (it is pretty rough up close) It is dented and twisted everywhere.

My next major question is which trailer to keep?

The black one is in pretty good shape and tilts. The white one has a couple of cracked welds and deteriorated rails and rollers. It looks like I may be able to unbolt the entire tandem axle assy and move it if that is my best option. The axles on both trailers appear to me mounted to L channel them U bolted to the trailer frame allowing for easy removal.

What says the group?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome Homeboy! :welcome:

You're already off on the right foot with pics! :thumb:

although identifying another SC as a donor may ruffle a few feathers :faint2:

Check the axles to see if they have the same distance between the suspension tabs. Tandem axle can be overkill for an 18' O/B tinnie; you're going to want to match the total suspension with the weight of the rig...too stiff of a suspension will actually harm the boat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back Homie, so you tearing into her today?

home-boy

Banned
I've been prepping for a couple of days. The transom is in great shape but I'm stripping and repainting it with good exterior paint. It was already painted so I can't put a clear on it.

Someone spent some $$$ on the old Chrysler. Everything ignition and fuel related looks brand new. It fired right up with gas and a hot battery.

I'm moving the engine and controls now. I hope to be able to water test it next week before completing the interior. I planned to run it with the Merc but somebody offered me enough for it to put me at $0 into the project, not a bad place to be so we pulled the engine and he left with it. It was way too new for this project anyway.

The trailer axles on both trailers appear to be attached to long L channel that is then attached to the trailer. The black one is also longer.

home-boy

Banned
Keeping the black single axle trailer. The other does not seem to fit the boat correctly.

Watermann

Good plan anyway, the tandem axle on an 18'r is not necessary at all if the single axle is heavy enough that is. 2 less tires, bearings and flats to worry about now.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Agreed. I pull my 18' with a pretty dinky single axle with 12" wheels. No problem at 50 mph if the weight is balanced.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Nice boat!
I will say that a DA trailer turns pretty dang easy,,and a flat or busted axle wont completely strand you...

home-boy

Banned
2 small updates today. I hate that it gets dark at 7:15 when still warm enough to wear shorts :( Sorry about the dark pics, I'll get better ones tomorrow.

New wheels and tires for the trailer off Craigslist. Loadstar load range D. I think $50 ea is a steal especially considering the decedent paid $125 ea after shipping

Got the Chrysler moved into position

Last edited:

home-boy

Banned
Finally got around to pulling up the rotten board on the floor

The wood was screwed down to a thin aluminum strip that is placed on top of the foam. Neither wood nor the strip were attached to the ribs along the outside edge. It was down with Phillips screws so it had been replaced already.

Dry as a bone underneath.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The thin strip between sheets is factory so save them and reuse them at put back

Even though dry, dont reuse the styro foam.. as you can see it crumbles over time

home-boy

Banned
Should those strips be attached at the ends? The perimeter floor is not attached to the ribs at all anywhere.

Watermann

No the decking should be riveted down into the rib ends, there should be holes seen there. The thin AL strips go between the sheets where they join.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The thin strips should be attached to both sheets of plywood along a seam, I don't think I've ever seen strips long enough to reach 100% across the width of the boat. Evenly spaced fasteners from 1 end to the other, starting an inch or so from the end of the strip, spaced 6-8" apart should be more then sufficient.

Is there evidence in the end of the ribs where the deck might have been attached at some point?

home-boy

Banned
There are holes in the ends of the ribs but this deck is not attached to the ribs along this section at least. It was screwed to the aluminum strip and to the long frame rail running front to back

jbcurt00

Staff member
The deck should be attached at the ends of the ribs, to the longitudinal stringer (I'm guessing that's what you are calling the long frame rail running front to back), and the aluminum strips, so plan to rivet it down to all 3 when you put it back together.

home-boy

Banned
01616_8pNTYR2xnc2_600x450_zps839d9f69.jpg
Finally got warm enough to think about the boat today. I remembered I need to do something about my steering. I need this piece that is attached to the transom holding the cable. I have the post with the ball mounted on the transom but the clamp is gone.

Anyone know what it is called or where I can locate one?

Last edited:

Watermann

The set up looks a bit off to me, the steering cable I have screws into the tilt tube on the motor. (the large nut to the right of the clamp) looks like this...

I'm guessing your motor isn't set up like most if the cable doesn't go through the tilt tube.

home-boy

Banned
My setup looks just like the one in the pic except I'm missing the clamp. It does not go through the tube.