22' 1978 Starcraft Holiday rebuild

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
I'll check it out, thank you sir.

Bad day up here, a young soldier was shot by a fanatic. Downtown is still locked down.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It was nice they left you alone for so long. I hate to welcome our northern brothers to our way of life with these terrorists. Thoughts and prayer go out to the ones lost.

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the support. I did a bit of time in the 'stan so it is a little close to home.

I had a quick look at Jason's thread, lots of good ideas to plagiarize over the next few months. 400 pages!? I am not worthy.

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
Still slogging away. I have the outdrive partially back together but it is time to prep our vehicles for the white stuff so StarCraft activity is slowing down. I'm going to stay with the Stringer for now but I'll pull the engine and redo the transom. We have a nice big pine I can hook up a block and tackle to and put the boat under for hoisting.

I've been looking at flooring and cockpit sidewall options that are lighter than the plywood. I'm thinking I could save a significant amount of weight which would help with launching, trailering, etc. I wouldn't mind using aluminum sheet for the cockpit sides but a 4'x8', .090 thick piece retails for ~ $130 around here and I would need 5 sheets. I might squirrel away some change and just go for it in the new year with the seat rebuild. My winter work will be the outdrive (rebuild and painting), seat and doghouse buildup.

I'll post some pics once I get my lazy ***** in gear. :)

pckeen

Commander
That will make some difference, but not as much as you might expect - motor, gear, gas etc. will all make more of a difference. The other thing to consider is the impact that will have on the ride. Lightening the weight will make it bob more over the waves. The other trouble with aluminum sheet is the risk of denting it....

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
That will make some difference, but not as much as you might expect - motor, gear, gas etc. will all make more of a difference. The other thing to consider is the impact that will have on the ride. Lightening the weight will make it bob more over the waves. The other trouble with aluminum sheet is the risk of denting it....

Good points. Some of the lumber shops have reasonable prices at this time of year (when construction slows down) so I'll check out what they have. So the next debate is redoing the old style sleeper seats or getting a couple of new swanky pedestal seats. I'm fairly tall so some extra legroom is a good thing.

Work has been hectic but I'll update when able.

pckeen

Commander
I know the feeling. I was all ready for pedestal seats myself, but the Admiral vetoed the idea - she prefers the comfort of the lounge seats.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I know the feeling. I was all ready for pedestal seats myself, but the Admiral vetoed the idea - she prefers the comfort of the lounge seats.

Go assymetrical: Helm pedestal, port convertible loungers.

Unless you're going fairly high end seats for comfort on long cruises, or fishing outta the pedestal seats, it might be nice to have a fold down seat available for more then 'just' the sun tans ;)

Watermann

Yeah those head knocker seats do have some added uses over helm chairs on a pedestal.

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, still here. I pulled apart the old seats with an eye to recovering them, but, apart from a couple pieces they are thoroughly rotted. Pics to come. The outdrive pinion and waterpump are back together and I'll get them re-installed shortly.

I know the east coast has gotten hammered snow-wise but it has been prairie cold around here. -25C pretty consistently so no outdoor work for now. Come on spring!

Watermann

Hey welcome back Frozen Jim :lol:

Yeah I would say those seats are roached out. Man that OMC leg frightens me every time I see one, maybe it's because they remind me of a cyber man from Doctor Who. :heh:

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
I don't see a duplicate post Jim.... ??

Hey jb, I went back and edited it. While I was trying to post a couple of transformers popped (bad storm in the area) and the power went down momentarily. When I logged back in I had two identical posts.

I removed your edited duplicate post and my question about it...... I saw your post, just didn't catch that you'd edited it to read
duplicate post..
. sorry, I missed it.

{And now back to our continuing story.......................;)}

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
OK guys back again. Work took me out of town for waaay longer than expected and then I blew my back out (good drugs from the Doc :)), then blew out my knee. This getting old thing is a pain...

However, got a few things done:

Couple coats of paint on the outdrive;

Collected some sticks;

Starting putting them together;

Eh voila!

Started hoist;

Boat moved with number one son wondering what the old man is up to this time;

And done.

Sharp eyed folks will notice we had to shorten up the chain on the gantry in order to get more transom clearance. There would have been more pics but the flies were bad that day. Anyway the motor came out clean after finally getting the Tru-Course cable off. The block has a couple of suspicious rust lines on it (cracks maybe). I have a line on a '79 glasser (24' Grew) with a Stringer in good shape. I'll get it up to the boat shortly and mix and match parts as necessary.

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
So what is happening next is that I'll pull the console and wiring, yank the transom (it is still solid but the lower section is oil soaked), clean the hull, rivet, strip the paint then start putting it all back together. Stay posted!

Watermann

Good to see you back at it Jim, Decker is replacing the WLOD in his SS with a MC. It's doable and way easier to find parts. Don't those old stringers tilt the whole motor up off the mount beds? Scary stuff reading the history. http://www.glmmarine.com/30yearsomc.html

Sunny Jim

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Watermann, good to be back!

I'm seriously considering the repower (a Volvo duo drive would be nice
biggrin.gif
) as a fall back, but for now I'll keep at the Stringer (mainly because I have the parts).

Yup, the Stringer is a "different" design. The leg tilts for trailering and shallow water use in a pinch, but for trim while cruising the whole engine-leg unit pivots. There is a small electric motor and screw jack under the front of the engine that moves the entire engine-outdrive around a pivot point (the aft engine mounts on the intermediate drive housing). It is a design that kinda' mocks Murphy law but I've heard from from a few people that if you take care of them, they are OK drives. Parts are an issue for sure but I have a donor I can cannibalize. I won't be operating in salt water or large bodies of water either and I'll stick a kicker on the transom for insurance.

I never asked, WLOD = Water Line Of Death?
eek.gif
biggrin.gif