1986 Starcraft Mariner 210...I think?

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All... I just bought what I think is a 1986 Starcraft Mariner 210, but it doesn't have the same paint scheme as others I've seen pictures of. Mine is a light tan or beige color, and the only tank it has is a small one in the back behind a door(above deck). It looks to be all original but this is my first boat so I am a complete newbie. Any help would be appreciated.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome to the starmada of course you have to post pics before it is official. It is really looking like we Mariner 210 owners are taking over or at least gaining ground. Post some pics of this thing would love to see it.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
I'll have to post pics from home computer. I wish they would TapaTalk this forum!

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting. I just bought an 88 Mariner 210 as well. But mine is the more common blue. All of the tan ones that i have ever seen were much older. But yours looks JUST like mine except tan. dunno. Look at the serial #. It will tell you the year. Last two digits, if I recall correctly.

Nice boat by the way. And a GREAT engine. I am totally jealous. Mine came with a 115 Mariner.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Mine is an 86, not an 88. The HIN# ends in 86 so I assume it's correct? If I want to add a kicker to I need a bracket or can I just bold it on the transom next to my 115?

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Nice score doesn't look like you need to do anything to that boat from the pics.
What does that logo above the Starcraft decals on the side say?

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome! :welcome:

Great lookin' Rig!!! :thumb: She's a beauty!
20140819_125557.jpg

Take it for a spin and take us along for the ride! :D See if any water collects in the bilge.

Things start to go south on these in the transom area. Crawl underneath the splashwell with a flashlight and check for cracks in the kneebrace. While you're down there, look for corrosion around the bottom hull skin...esp near the kneebrace rivets. Also look for separation between the splashwell and the transom...(PO's often compensate with silicone caulk :rolleyes: ) Look for cracks in the splashwell. Lastly, get a good grab on the powerhead (trimmed-down) and move it in/out to see if the transom flexes....any flex and the transom probably needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Plenty of room to mount a kicker on that transom. This is my '73.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great looking original boat for her age alright :thumb:

Must a bit stern heavy with that Yammy, can't think of another reason why the PO would put that whale tail thing on there. A set of Nauticas smart tabs would be my suggestion to fix that, I'm not so much in favor of those tails.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
HMMMM! Come to think of it when did they start putting that Pour in Foam in these boats. Wasn't in the 80's? That stuff creates aluminum corrosion, because of all the water that can't drain out or dry. Not trying to scare ya just something to look for.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think that I read somewhere that they started the foam in 86.

I second the opinion on the "whale tail". Ditch that piece of garbage. We just took a "tail" off of our offshore boat and replaced it with smart tabs. HUGE difference for the better.

I also just replaced the motor on my skiff. The old on did not have a "tail". The new one did and I forgot to remove it. The boat refused to turn well. It would try to porpoise out of the turn and the boat would not bank into the turns. Took the "tail" off and all of the problems went away.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replies. It's been sitting in the water for a couple weeks now and it doesn't take on any water that I can tell. As for the motor, it seems to run very well. With one person it cruises at 45 if I believe the Speedo. The floor does need to be replaced as it if soft in a lot of places. While doing that I'll get to see what else is going on under there. So far I'm very happy with the purchase. The original owner gave me a lot of extras and was a really nice guy.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Nice score doesn't look like you need to do anything to that boat from the pics.
What does that logo above the Starcraft decals on the side say?
Sorry for the delayed response but the boat is an hour from my house. I went up there today and replaced the carpet on the bunks, and took it for a long ride. The decals are the name of a Marina, which I'm guessing sold the boat originally.

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
Cracks between transom & splashwell

Hi All...I just uncorked the Mariner this season. I noticed there is separation between the transom and splashwell. Is this a big problem, and if so how would I correct it? Yes...I'm a boating noob.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
There are a couple dozen screws that secure the splashwell to the transom wood, and there should be sealant along the seam to prevent water intrusion into the bilge. If you have a gap there it probably means that your transom is rotting, unfortunately. Photos will help us give you the right advice.

Edit: I just saw your photo, sorry. Yeah, check for soft wood all over the transom. It kind of looks like the aluminum tore away from the screws, though? Something's not right there...anybody?

20150509_100835_zpsqfhw0zdo.jpg~320x480

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I feel the same as chemicalwire. Stick your head under the splashwell with a light and poke at the transom wood. Does the motor move if you stand on the lower unit?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Duh, I'm looking at the transom cap screws. So yeah, you may have a transom replacement in your near future. It's not hard, but there's a fair amount of disassembly involved. We can help!

Lago86

Seaman Apprentice
That would suck tremendously if I have to replace the transom. I'm not that handy with wood so will likely have to have someone do it. Then again, if I have the floor redone after the season maybe they can do both? I can't jump on the motor just yet as the battery is charging and I've got it on a transom saver. I did poke my head underneath and though I can't get to the port side as the gas tank is blocking it, the wood feels solid. It didn't give any when I pushed on it with a screw driver. Hopefully I'll have more time tomorrow to inspect it better. Thanks for posting the picture better. Here's another picture:

Last edited: