1995 Islander 221V Hardtop Refurb

fcboats

Recruit
New to this forum but not new to Starcraft boats. I've owned lots (newer models) and I posted a few of them on the Starcraft owner picture thread but this was purchased from NYS (freshwater only) and I imported it back into Ontario. Actually, I have purchased all of my Starcraft boats in the US with the exception of my first (1996 160 Fishmaster).

So, the boat. Yes, another Islander refurb thread but I've longed to own a hardtop the first time I saw a 26' hardtop on Lake O in the 1990's. Sure I owned a 2007 221V with a bimini and full enclosure previously, but I could not pass up this 1995 given the price. Ah, the price....cheap enough that I knew it was a deal but also cheap enough that I knew I needed to put some work into this so that it could be enjoyed for many more years. Here it is after I just brought it home.

One day after I purchased it, I buffed the snot of the exterior to remove all the oxidation it got from neglect as I could see the bigger picture and not the current state of affairs. This is what it looked like after 12 hours of buffing and waxing. Pictures do not do any justice as it came up looking great. The boat was used but not abused.....just neglected. Fortunately, I love making things look new and I love tinkering with boats.

Stupid me - I never got any before shots of the interior before I got to work on it. One of the previous owners glued down a rubber covering over the aft section of the floor on both the starboard and port sides. The floor above the tank is solid as is the floor in the cuddy. There is some minor water damage to the cuddy which I will correct but I'm leaving things otherwise in their current state. And that rubber flooring....it caused all the moisture from the factory vinyl flooring to not breathe and it was so spongy, I could easily jump on this and leap over the gunwales to the ground. I thought I was on a springboard in a pool. I did take a picture of the floor after I ripped up one side but you should be able to see what was on the other side.

This will be a long process for me as I have knee surgery scheduled this week and I've stripped the interior already, removed the floors, and have removed 70% of the floatation. My worst concerns were realized once I had a look at the transom. The water logged sponge (factory closed cell floatation) abutted against the transom was wet. I could drill in to the core, no water leaked out, but it was wet in comparison to the wood above this area which was perfectly dry. So, two thoughts on this. Let it dry out and then slap some CPES next spring to make it solid/eliminate potential rot and then bolt a 1/4 aluminum plate to this area to make it a bit more sturdy. Or, remove the existing transom and put in a new piece. Option two makes more sense to me, although it is much more work given that I've never removed an I/O or have the equipment (sorry no large oak trees that I can use in my yard) to remove it. This way it will last for many more years and give that additional security that everything that should be done was completed.

I've reviewed most of the Islander and Holiday refurbs as well to gain some ideas of what to do for not only the transom replacement, but also what materials should be used for the wood preservation as well as materials. As I progress through this, I will bounce off ideas and welcome all suggestions brought on by this group as lots of you have gone through this.

As of today, here is where the interior is (1 week after purchase and limited time to complete this due to the damn heat/humidity).

There is some hull damage to the bow as well from either power loading and smashing it off the bow roller or it was not secured on the trailer properly and they banged it hard enough to significantly damage it. Over and over again. My bodywork knowledge will tackle that later but I will take some pictures of that and post them seeking guidance from you guys as there may be a better way to get it somewhat in a normal state of mind. Some damage to the hull under the gas tank as well where they applied silicone from the exterior on the rivets. This made me laugh, but as everything is coming up, I will have full access to this area, bang it out and then install new rivets. Fun times ahead!!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the tin bin FC!

Oh I would love to see your Islander but the forum has a problem with the pic upload feature. Photobucket is the way to go, upload pics, paste IMG code into your message and the pics show perfectly.

You should add the Islander's sister ship into your reading... The Chief!

fcboats

Recruit
Strange - I can see the pictures on the thread with the exception of the after buffing pic. Here they are;

Before buffing
rotate_2.jpg

After buffing
IMG_12362.JPG

Rubber flooring still on left side
rotated.jpg

Floors lifted to show off beautiful foam
rotate_8.jpg

rotate_5.jpg

rotate_7.jpg

One side foam removed and rivets buffed for gluvit
rotate_4.jpg

rotate_6.jpg

So, thoughts on transom? Dry to touch but inside is a bit damp after drilling out to check out core. This may never dry out but this also isn't a structural support where it is damp. Replace or CPES is in the spring?

Last edited:

fcboats

Recruit
Are the pictures visible now? Just out of the hospital after having knee surgery. It will be a week before I start back at it. Long list of items that I want to purchase coming up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to the Tin Drydock, FC. Yep, we have pics. The hardtops are special and the subject of a great deal of lust here in the Starmada. It looks like the shine job worked well.

When you recuperate some, snap some pics of the transom. In my opinion, CPES is only a band-aid because the wood is starting to go if it's still wet after a few weeks. And saying you are thinking of adding an aluminum plate for reinforcement tells me you have reservations about the quality of the transom wood. Now would be the time to take care of it. Then you can enjoy her with no worries.

Watermann

Oh yeah the pics are up! Very nice HT Islander FC and I like the power you have in her too. :thumb:

I wouldn't leave that nearly 20 year old transom in there unless it was well kept and 100% solid but since it's wet I wouldn't chance it. It's a ton of work to replace a transom in an IO config but a very necessary evil if you plan on keeping the boat.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
That's a beauty, especially to us northern latitude tinheads. Another vote here to just replace the transom.

fcboats

Recruit
Looks like I will be out of commission longer than anticipated. One week turnaround they said........I'm just finally putting weight on it more than a week later. Probably a full month before I start back at it since I need to scale a ladder to get in it and ladders are not my specialty just yet. Hold on for a month and then I will have some new updates. Now the list of items that I'm putting on it begins.....first trim tabs, then a kicker motor mount, then specialty storage areas and lockable rod storage on both sides as opposed to leaving everything wide open.

Watermann

Welcome back fc. Good time to do some parts shopping online and read up on the forums.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't rush getting back to work on her, fc. Let the knee heal before you start stressing it. You're gonna kneed (sic) both of them. :smile: