Cleaning/restoring/preserving Attwood seat bases

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Starcraft uses the Attwood seat bases and posts. The bases are cat aluminum and are looking pretty sad with a lot of corrosion. I placed 2 of them in bickets of vinegar (5% acetic acid) for about 2 weeks. It appears to have changed the corrosion (oxidation ?) black but really not removed much. After about 30 minutes with 120, 180 and 240 grit sandpaper on an oscillating tool, they are better but far from perfect.

What next ? Stronger acid ? Buffing wheel (I have a 4.5" grinder) and compound ? Right or wrong tool ? What kind of compound ?

Problem #2 is removing the post from the other 2 bases (they are out of the boat). Liquid wrench seems to have no effect. Several hits with a rubber mallet have had no effect.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Use some JVV's Best and a 3M scrub pad, it will de-ox those bases and remove all the junk.

If you can flip the bases over to get at the underside of the mount, I would find something to use as a punch to drive them out. Maybe even cut a 2x4 into a round plug and put it in the hole and use an air hammer to batter the post back out.

Watermann

I think I know what seat base and post type you have but a pic would help out to know for sure, both the top and underside.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stupid forum !

I can't upload my images and it won't link to my online storage because it does not have the "correct" file extension.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The base with no post has been soaking for 2 weeks.

The other 2 have not been touched.

Base1.JPGBase2.JPG

Watermann

I'm guessing the 2 post never came out of the bases on a regular basis so I would be leaning towards just leaving them where they are rather than ruining something trying to get them out. I use JVV's best to de-ox aluminum and make it look new again.

fishrdan

Admiral
After about 30 minutes with 120, 180 and 240 grit sandpaper on an oscillating tool, they are better but far from perfect.

Go the other way with the sand paper grit and use a belt sander.

I made a cut-off base like the one in your pic,,, (hacked a lip off a round base) and when I went to dress it back to a factory finish, my old POS Black and Decker belt sander and a 50 grit belt (maybe 60 grit?) was a perfect match. You can't tell my chopped off bases from the others as the brushed finish looks the same. Just turn the base while sanding so you get the same finish appearance.

TO remove the stuck posts, figure out a way to hold the post stationary, then slide a dowel (closet rod) down the center of the post and drive the base off, Or, cut a piece of closet rod a bit shorter than the top of the post's slot, the pry against the dowel and post slot with a stout screwdriver (or pry bar). Orrrr, hold the post in your hand and whack the base with a plastic dead blow hammer, drive it off.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Orrrr, hold the post in your hand and whack the base with a plastic dead blow hammer, drive it off.
Been there done that !

I even went to the extent of heating the base in boil water and the plunging the post in ice water and THEN beating on the base. I have to rig up a rope through the post and tied to a fence post because there is no way you can hold the post while you are beating on it with a dead blow hammer !

The Attwood web site FAQ say lock the base down and use a strap wrench.