1977 starcraft islander

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
bought this last year with the intent of diving in head first. then life got in the way, working all hours of the day and night along with working on my house i never got back to the islander, i had toyed with the idea of selling it i tried there wasnt a lot of interest out there for it in my area, and when there was i just couldnt part with it. i plan on working on it now at least a cpl hours every weekend until its gets to cold up here in upstate ny. its a real Gem, needs a lot of work and there was a lot of cobbing done over its life tim

pckeen

Commander
Love Islander threads. Open a photobucket account and post pics from there. It's free. Upload websized images to photobucket, then click on teh image you want. Then left click on the text box to the right of "Img". Then come to your iboats post and right click, and select 'paste.' You'll see a line of code enter the text box, but when you hit "post reply" on iboats, you'll get an image like this.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There ya go pics are up now, nice I/O Islander with the 165 six Mercruiser :thumb:

I have a soft spot for the cabin cruisers with the I/O config. Typical rotted out mess and you already got the heavy lifting done!

pckeen

Commander
Excellent - so are you planning a full transom/floor/foam replacement? What shape is that motor in?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to TinHaus, Gordo. Excellent hull for fishing or family fun. Is she a 22 footer? The straight six is a good motor, nice power but a fuel sipper. What are you planning doing to her? We have plenty of examples in the resto threads - Islanders and Chieftains are similar.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Welcome... Hull looks pretty good and engine appears nice an clean. Got yourself a good starting platform to work on. Good luck.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome back! I saw her pop up on the ny CL a few times! Glad to see that she is still in good hands! :thumb:

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yeah she was on cl a few times im really short on time these days, im glad i kept it tho. as far as the motor its not the original the original through a rod through the block from what i understand, this one is a 4 bolt main truck block with marine internals and head so im told. it does start and run good i made sure before i pulled it out. however it doesnt shift i think the cable is frozen. The drive unit leaks from the seal the bellows were full of oil i am having trouble getting those pivot pins out i bought the tool but they are so rusted in there it rounded off the tool and the pins. ( so this should be fun lol ) i am planning a full transom and floor replacement perhaps more. i scored a bunch of 3/4 inch plywood for 10$ a sheet so i bought all i could just for this project lol.. im debating stripping the whole thing down to its bones and starting over all the wiring is sketchy as well as other things. thanks everyone for the replys!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah that sucks Gordo, wished you would have asked first, those pivot pins are tough to get out as they have red lock tite on them and you have to use heat from a torch to melt it and break them free. Try using an allen socket and see if there's enough bite left to screw the pins out after heating them up well. They shouldn't be rusted, they're stainless and screw into AL.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i actually did heat them up first because i saw rust all around them and they didnt budge then the bad thing happened and the tool rounded off along with the pins.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Welcome to TinHaus, Gordo. Excellent hull for fishing or family fun. Is she a 22 footer? The straight six is a good motor, nice power but a fuel sipper. What are you planning doing to her? We have plenty of examples in the resto threads - Islanders and Chieftains are similar.
yes sir shes a 22 footer, i plan on using it for fishing i had a 2001 islander (well my dad did, had to sell it) so i was looking for one for while and could never find one with in my price range then i found this one needing a lot of work (well i didnt realize it needed as much as it does when i first looked at it lol)

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Although you are looking at a lot of work to bring her into the condition you want her it is well worth the tear down. I found many items when I gutted my Chieftain that were of some serious safety issues, ie. rotted/cracked open fuel vent lines, wires that were bare and near grounding out. At least when you complete it you will know it inside and out and have the confidence that she is a safe boat.

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Although you are looking at a lot of work to bring her into the condition you want her it is well worth the tear down. I found many items when I gutted my Chieftain that were of some serious safety issues, ie. rotted/cracked open fuel vent lines, wires that were bare and near grounding out. At least when you complete it you will know it inside and out and have the confidence that she is a safe boat.
thats a really good point! ultimately thats probably the route i will go :)