Pour in Transoms?

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone tried any of the pour in transom materials like SeaCast on a Starcraft. My buddy is trying to talk me into welding or glassing up a transom "pocket" and pouring it full of Seacast. It is supposed to be stronger, lighter, and have longer life than wood. Seems like ALOT of trouble considering that I already have a couple of sheets of 3/4 Marine ply left from another project. Any thoughts?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I think you should introduce your buddy to Craigslist :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your buddy wants you to fiberglass your tin boat? Most of our thoughts won't be family friendly for posting :). Sacrilege I tell you, and surely bad things will befall he who dares to taunt the tin gods in such a manner.... A tin SC transom is so easy to replace compared to many others and esp glass boat transoms, why go to the trouble and expense anyway....

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
He is already a Craigslist Junkie... Just like I am. haha Where do you think I found my Mariner?

Your buddy wants you to fiberglass your tin boat? Most of our thoughts won't be family friendly for posting :). Sacrilege I tell you, and surely bad things will befall he who dares to taunt the tin gods in such a manner.... A tin SC transom is so easy to replace compared to many others and esp glass boat transoms, why go to the trouble and expense anyway....

He was really more in the line of thinking of welding it out of aluminum...
Dont worry, i'm not really on board with the idea, but I thought I would run it up the flag pole and see who salutes.
I AM for modernizing the old to make it better. You know sort of a resto-rod boat.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cover the floor of your garage in plastic. Make a form from wood on the floor of your garage that matches the transom. Pour the seacast into the form. When it sets up take it out of the form and drop it into the boat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A resto-rod boat, hey I like that! Lotsa power and upgrades :thumb:

The marine ply is perfect for the job at hand of transom building, but that pour in stuff... meh... I don't think I would want to find out if it's less than perfect. I've not seen any tinner worth his salt do it either. It's like the guys who post up asking about replacing their decking with AL sheets. You could do it but is it perfect for the job? No, not even close.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dont know about "Lotsa" power. It's got a 115 Mariner "Tower of Power" on it.
As for "mods" yes it's getting customized on the inside. I used to build custom show cars for a living. It's not getting anything super crazy, but I am fabbing a new interior layout with storage.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
A plywood transom sealed with 4 coats of marine grade epoxy resin will be very durable and long lasting.

As others have mentioned, the Seacast is more of a fiberglass boat repair/application.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just mentioned the Seacast because it was mentioned to me...

I've decided to go with Coosa Bluewater 26 density in 1.5 thick for the transom. I will NEVER have to worry about it again.