Looking at another Starcraft boat..

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice
On my way home today I spotted an Starcraft SS for sale on a back street, at first glance I thought it to be an 16' Super Sport but after stopping and looking it over I see it measures 17' 1" long. Its a lapstrake aluminum hull, but the bottom is smooth metal, and the lapstrake doesn't go all the way up. The color sort of a blue/green. Its got two back to back seats, which match the boat and bow cushions, and a much shorter splash well than say my old 1974 SS16.

The title the guy has says its a 1984 model. There are no model logos on the boat at all and I didn't see a Coast Guard plate anywhere.
The boat was in fair condition, the transom and floors seemed solid but the seats and paint were weathered. The motor was an early Yamaha 40hp, which no doubt is way too small for the boat. I'm thinking it would need more like a 115hp or so. The owner was an old guy in his late 80's, he said he bought it new but rarely used it. The town there passed a 'No Boats' ordinance so he's a motivated seller.
I looked at the brochures listed above and don't see anything that matches but its closest to the mid 80's SS 16' models only a foot longer.
I didn't realize they built a 17' bow rider hull in aluminum back then?
Does anyone have any info on the mid 80's boats? Did the construction change much from the older models?

The reason I ask is because I had a 1992 model Super Fisherman 19' and that used poured foam throughout the hull, which in turn ended up harboring corrosion which rotted through the hull all over the place. That boat had no lapstrake aluminum at all and pedestal seats, it also had very noticeable reverse chines where as the hull I looked at today was shaped pretty much like my older SS16.

Did the mid 80's boats use pour in foam or did they still use the drop in foam strips like on the early models?

I know I don't have any pics but what would you figure the value on a basically turn key 17' aluminum boat on a roller trailer with a running 40hp motor?

boatmaninc

Cadet
The yamaha has some value for trade or for a smaller boat. Can't help you on the foam question. I'd offer the guy $500-$1000, but that's just after reading this post. Up in central MN, there's a 18' 76 starcraft SS with i/o. Guy wants $1000.

64osby

Admiral
The pour in foam started in 86 i'm pretty sure.

Location has much to do with price. I would be looking to offer $1500 to $2000 if it as clean as you say. Definitely under powered.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 86 Mariner has pour in foam...
The only other Starcraft that I have ever owned was a 69 14ft V-hull... It had no foam.

By the way... What kind of town has a "No boats" law? Sounds like a town that can kiss my "anchor"!!!
Are you serious? If they tried something like that here, they would have thousands of Waco style standoffs!

Last edited:

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd be a little bit concerned about what year and model it is if it measures 17' long since I don't see any 17' aluminum V hulls in that time period. Make sure the numbers match the title. All of the 17' models I've seen weren't lapstrake style aluminum.

As far as foam, I think the pour in foam sort of replaced the lapstrake aluminum.

Of course it wouldn't be the first unknown model with odd measurements and specs I've seen.

The No Boat ordinances are pretty common among shore towns in NJ, its meant to keep boats off the street and out of sight during the tourism season, and I'm sure some politician must own a boat storage facility somewhere.

You can't compare any outboard boat to an I/O hull, most here won't give anything for an older I/O boat, I've seen 21' Starcraft boats for under $500 or even free. I just passed on a Chieftain that needed a lot of work, for free.

Price wise for an SS in ready to use condition I'd have to figure about $750 plus the motor and trailer, I wouldn't put much value on an older Yamaha and if its a saltwater boat and trailer, you have to be really cautious about corrosion.
Basically the motor and trailer may not have much value at all, especially if the motor is way too small for the boat. I'd want no less than a 70hp on a 16-17' aluminum boat but its most likely rated for at least 90hp.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can't compare any outboard boat to an I/O hull, most here won't give anything for an older I/O boat, I've seen 21' Starcraft boats for under $500 or even free. I just passed on a Chieftain that needed a lot of work, for free.

:eek: :faint2: :crazy:

So there is an alternate universe out there...

reelmess

Seaman Apprentice
Did they build a 17' walk through windshield model in the mid 80's? I don't see it in the brochures posted. The first aluminum 17' model I see was in the later 80's, the SS170, but that don't look like the same boat. The boat I'm looking at is basically the same as my old SS 16 footer but with the added length being ahead of the windshield. My old SS16 had two sliding rear doors below the splashwell, this one had a hinged rear door that lifted up. It also don't seem as deep, maybe about 4" or so lower when measuring from the lower chine to the top of the gunwale.
It doesn't have the reverse chine shape that the newer models have though.
Its also got a shorter splashwell than my 1974 SS 16 had, maybe as much as 6" shorter giving it more interior space. No matter which model I check specs on, none match the hull I looked at.
17' 1" bow tip to top rear edge of the transom dead center, and max beam width near the windshield of 77". The windshield matches that of an 18' Super sport being minus full side wing glass and with curved rear braces on each side. The front bunk seats seem to be the same as my old 16' boat, but the closed portion of the bow is longer by about a foot. It also does not have the rubber bumper strip down each side like my older SS had.

I've seen a few cheaper boats but this one is complete, at least it looks like a viable boat that could be put right to use. The others I've seen, free or othewise were pretty rough. I saw a 22' Starcraft cabin boat on CL a few months ago for free but the motor was seized, the trailer was huge, with no tires on the rims, and there was little to no interior left. The good thing was that you could probably removed the interior with a shop vac in a few hours.
I also don't want an I/O boat, I don't care to deal with one both due to the weight of the boat and the headaches of dealing with an I/O drive and all the seals or boots that can leak. I wouldn't take an I/O boat even if it were free, I'm just not interested.

A neighbor had an 18' Starchief a number of years ago with an inline chevy six cylinder, he ripped out the motor and outdrive, filled in the hole with wood and sealer, then cut a hole in the floor with a box around the hole and stuck the outboard through the hull where the motor used to sit. The motor when he was done was completely hidden by a lid with the lower unit sitting about a foot out the bottom of the hull. He ran that for years till the box split open one day and it capsized in the bay. They towed it home and stuck it outback ever since. He's been trying to sell it for $2000 ever since. Its been sunk, butchered, and abused for years, and its had critters living in it now for at least 5 years now and he still thinks its worth more than scrap.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A neighbor had an 18' Starchief a number of years ago with an inline chevy six cylinder, he ripped out the motor and outdrive, filled in the hole with wood and sealer, then cut a hole in the floor with a box around the hole and stuck the outboard through the hull where the motor used to sit. The motor when he was done was completely hidden by a lid with the lower unit sitting about a foot out the bottom of the hull. He ran that for years till the box split open one day and it capsized in the bay. They towed it home and stuck it outback ever since. He's been trying to sell it for $2000 ever since. Its been sunk, butchered, and abused for years, and its had critters living in it now for at least 5 years now and he still thinks its worth more than scrap.

Wow - I bet that was one fine handling boat. :eek: Did he stick a pulpit through the bow plate up front, too? Nah, that might be his brother. :faint2:

It amazes me what POs do to a tin boat because it's so easy to cut and punch holes in them. :facepalm:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wonder if the factory ran a bit short on it's AL order and dropped a foot off the 18'r. :lol:

To each his own for motor choices and for a fishing boat here where winters are cold I would only want an OB and that's what I have... but for a summer cruiser, an IO is the only way to go. One of these days I'll find me a nice 18' SC SS or maybe even a holiday to replace my little 16' SN as a fishing boat. If the boat is what you want then grab it, if not keep looking and sooner or later the right one will come along.

64osby

Admiral
A picture or two would really help too.

As said above, if it will work for you get it and sort the details out later.