Nismoron's 1988 Mariner 210 Restoration

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I got a good bit done this weekend.
Gas tank removed.
Console removed.
All controls and wiring removed.
Foam under gas tanks and console removed.

Now working on how to remove the Mariner motor. Damn thing is so tall that the engine hoist wont lift that high. Also nothing on motor to lift from. No lift loop or even a good place to bolt one. Gonna get interesting...

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you lift the trailer tongue, does the OB drop low enough for the engine lift? I had to tilt the motor up, lift the tongue up, and still barely lifted a 135 TOP Merc high enough for my engine lift to pull it free......

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Where does this install? I just went out and looked at the motor. I dont see anywhere that it might fit. Unless it is about 2 inches in diameter. Then it will screw into the hole in the center of the flywheel.

I was thinking of getting two large washers from work (train parts) and drilling one to fit the 6 flywheel bolts. Cuttin the other and welding it to form a loop on the other washer....

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Bingo that's where it goes right in top center of the flywheel/ top of crank.
Did you see that PM i sent you with my number??

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool. It doesn't look that large in your pic. It's gonna have to be 1.5 inches in diameter or so...
Not arguing, but seems like a bad idea to lift a motor by the crankshaft. Maybe it's just me. haha
All of my previous motors had lift points from the factory attached to the block. Or were just light enough to lift off by hand. haha

I had not seen your PM. Responded to it now.

Last edited:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Trust me this is where it goes and it is designed for lifting the Mercury and Mariner Motors.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh I believed you. I didn't mean to sound like I didn't.
But if someone asked me if it was a good idea to lift a motor by the crank, I would have said no. haha
Anyway. Yeah, that piece is much larger than it looks in the picture. The picture made it look like it was maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch shaft diameter.
Do you have a part # for that thing? I have looked and there are several different styles available.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure of the part number just do a Google search for Mercury lifting eye, A bunch will pop up even some links on ebay. I got lucky a tool rental place close to me has one.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gonna have to put the project on it's first unplanned hold. Next step it to remove the engine and I have to get one of these lifting eyes. They run about 30-40 buck, which normally wouldn't be problem. BUT, we had a pipe bust in kitchen wall yesterday. Had to fix that. THEN my cat got bitten by a snake yesterday afternoon. Took her to the vet today and they are keeping her. Bill already at $388. :-O

So, I dont guess that the motor is coming off this weekend... Life happens... :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Your work looks good so far Nis.

... about that fuel tank. If you get the holes patched satisfactorily you should consider painting it before reinstalling it. One or 2 coats of ZC self etching primer and multiple coats of a good epoxy paint or other suitable high quality paint. Painting will protect from corrosion in the future. If you have to go with a new tank paint it as well.

BTW, I just live a couple hours up the road from you in the Lincoln/Talladega area. About 10 mi. from the Superspeedway give a shout out if you ever attend any of the races.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Fuel tank is going to get welded. The damage is not bad. It will then get painted with coal tar and reinstalled in a cradle with NO foam touching it.

Good to know you are nearby. I try to stay FAR away from the races! Last one I went to, I saw a guy get his skull crushed with a baseball bat. They found another guy dead on Monday morning in his tent... Getting too old for all that mess. haha Not to mention all the traffic.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's been a busy couple of weeks. My cat (boat building helper) got bit by a water moccasin last week. $400 later, she is ok. Then my wife had surgery this week. MUCH more than $400 later, she too is fine. haha I did manage to order the Mercury Lifting eye and received it today. I'll get everything set up to remove the engine tomorrow. I have to get a path cleared to remove and move the engine. I also have to get an engine stand built. I already have one that I build to hold my other three small outboards. When I built it, I cut parts for a second one just like it. I just have to bolt it together. Time to get back on track!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Whoa I've never seen a $400 cat before... Hope the admiral and way expensive kitty are doing better. Good luck on the lift off!

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We got the motor off today. But we founs some cracking in the transom and some separation of the splashwell from the transom and the gunwales. The separation at the transom and gunwale looks like it may have only been held in place by some sort of sealant like 5200. But there is a crack in the aluminum right where the splash well turns up onto the transom. The wood is GONE, so the aluminum was holding the full weight of the motor. I'll get a few pics up tonight ot tomorrow to get you guys' take on it... Too tired right now.....

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone happen to know the various drill bit sizes that I will need to have on hand to drill out the rivets in the splash well and gunwales. I'm about to doa transom job and need to get the bits from work. (we sell them)
I had an assortment pack of Titanium nitride bits, but apparently there is a leaky spot in my shed roof. The case was full of water and all of the drill bits unusable. Gotta get some new ones, but thought I would just get what I needed for now.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The 2 standard blinds and solids are either 5/32" or 3/16".

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. I picked a couple up as I left work. I might get out there tonight and start drilling.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
One thing I did notice on my Mariner is all the original rivets on my boat have a small bit starter hole in the head of them. Check yours before drilling see if it's on yours, might have to scrape paint off to see it.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man! I forgot to add the pics from last weekend's progress. I got the engine off and a stand built for it. When I bought the boat in New Orleans, there were no cracks around the transom. The wood was so rotten that on the ride home, the splashwell started cracking and separating from the gunwales. I hope I can fix this.... Here is the transom sans motor..

When I got the motor off, I found this under it. This is the top edge of the transom. It is not surprising considering the crack at the base of the splashwell/transom joint. This occurred on the way home with the boat. Even thought motor had a transom saver on the motor. The wood is that rotten. My buddy can weld these up.

The motor pulling on the transom also cracked the angle joints at the front of the splashwell. He can weld these as well.

Here is where I'm getting scared... The transom has pulled away from the spalshwell. It appears to have been secured with some sort of 5200 type sealant. I'm hoping that it is not so warped out of shape that I cant get it back...