Nismoron's 1988 Mariner 210 Restoration

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked this boat up on 08/16/14/ The previous owner developed arthritis in his back and legs and could no longer use the boat. It has been sitting up for 2 years or more. I picked it up for $1600. I didn't even pull the cowl off the motor. I figured the hull alone was worth the $1600. Not to mention that it came with a galvanized tandem axle trailer that had 5 new tires, new bearings, and 4 new springs. While sitting up, the entire floor and transom rotted out. The previous owner's son got ambitious and tore the floor out. I think he got in over his head, because that is where he stopped. haha Ever heard THAT story before? Here is what we are starting with:

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Looks great.

If you give up on it can I have dibs on the console. :D

Have fun digging the foam. :eek:

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I doubt very seriously that I will give up. The only thing that I can think of that would do that is if I find too much corrosion to continue...
I may not usethe console though. I like it, but it is about a foot too short. We drive from a standing/leaning position and I can just barely touch the steering wheen from a standing position. My buddy says to build a platform to put under the console, but I dont like that idea. I may but one if I can find one that I like. Or I may pull a nold of of this one and make on... Dunno yet. WAY down the road that this point.

Today's project? FOAM!!! In 101 degree heat! yay....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Nismo I see ya got the new thread up last night, that's a great hull you got there very worthy of a second chance at life on the waves. Lot's of good times ahead that's for sure, rotten transom, soggy foam and many hours of cleaning. :thumb:

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome aboard where are you located?

Montgomery, AL

Well, as of 5PM, I have about 90% of the foam out. The part that is left, I left for a reason. I did not remove the foam under the console. I wanted to leave something for it to sit on while we try to get the motor to fire off before remove them both. Second, I left about a 4ft section against the gunwale on the side where I am getting in and out of the boat. It is already lifted free in a big chunk, but I left it because I want something to step on besides bare hot aluminum with sharp edges. Silly me wants as few trips to the ER as possible on this restore. I'm gonna try to keep it below 3!!! haha

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with ALL OF THIS FOAM!!!! Holy Moly!!! That's ALOT of foam!
I have bagged up two "Lawn and Garden" garbage bags of it. I figure I have about 8-10 bags to go! But I ran out of bags. I'm about to go to the store for more. I'll post pics when I get her all cleaned out. And maybe a bath. For both of us!

Last edited:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
:laugh: I feel ur pain i've removed foam(water logged) from a glass boat years ago. It was a mess

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got all of the loose foam bagged, but it was after dark. 7 bags, a green trashcan and a blue ice/beer bucket full. And still have 10-20% of the foam left to come out.I'll get pics tomorrow after she gets a washdown.

dozerII

Admiral
AHHHHH the joys of pour in foam. Kinda makes you wonder What Were They Thinking.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got ALOT doe this weekend! I all of the foam removed except a pad where I step into the boat, under the console, and under the infloor gas tank. There's also a small chunk on each side under the splashwell. I'll dig that out when I remove the splashwell to replace the transom. Maybe next weekend. haha Anyone have any tips on breaking the fuel tank free from the foam?

To say it was a little warm today is an understatement. This was taken on the dash of the boat under the bimini...

64osby

Admiral
Nice work.

I'll bet it was dry heat. :rolleyes:

Why is the console still in?

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
No dry heat in the south. Great work getting all that done in this heat. I don't even want to step outside for a few min's it's so hot. Where in LA. did ya buy that boat from I see it was registered in LA. That's why I asked where you were from. I would suggest just using something to dig the foam loose around the tank till it get's loose enough to move it.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work.

Why is the console still in?

Because I have yet to try to fire off the engine. I'd like to see if it runs or is at least worth investing in before we take it off. I would hate to reinstall it to find that it was a turd. My engine guy is coming over sometime this week or next weekend to see.

I bought the boat in Harahan region of New Orleans. It was the closest one that I could find. The next closest was in South Carolina. My wife is from Gulfport MS, so we had family at the halfway point to the N.O. boat. It was also much newer. The other was a 71 model. So the newer boat, with a safehouse halfway won out.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Cool I grew up in Nawlans 27 years there that's why I asked. Also have good friends in Waveland, MS.

Nismoron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dug out all of the foam around the in-floor fuel tank. But it still wont budge. When I got to the bottom of the port side, I smell fuel in the foam.... Uh oh!
I found one fuzzy spot on the side and it looks like there may be a hole about the size of a BB. I guess I will wait to see what the bottom looks like. If it is just the one little hole, then I'm good. I can have that welded up. I need to get the gas out next. There looks to be about 10-15 gallons in there. What do you do with 15 gallons of bad gas? haha Actually it still smells good. But I'm sure it's not. Not going to risk it.

jmalecek

Seaman Apprentice
Are you sticking with the below deck tank? I'm curious to see if it was just foam holding it in.

Jamie

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah if there isn't straps then that tank probably has feet welded to it that are secured with rivets, most likely to ribs.

64osby

Admiral
Old boat gas is good for old mowers or old pick up's. :D

Some will blend in a gallon or two per tank.