What type of plywood

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Do you guy's use for the transom and decks?? I've gotten out to the HD store and just looking the best stuff I saw was like $45.00 / 3/4" sheet. No idea what it was
as it looks like the tags are all messed up as to what is what. How do I know what to get??:noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
I have used "Exterior" rated plywood for my restoration projects and have not been overly picky about the particular grade, as long as it is APA "Exterior". Try to get the best grade available though . . .

Avoid anything rated "Exposure1", as that would not be a good choice.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Marine ply is the best to use. Far less voids than standard framing ply. and the $45/sheet is probably sanded. Dont really need that.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Aruaco from Menards works well. Cheaper than marine grade and made for exposure. Nice stuff.

delms82

Seaman
I am going with an 5/8 exterior ACX or BCX. Going Spar Varnish top and sides and finish with marine vinyl.

Should I not spar bottom so plywood can breathe?

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
By all the advice on this forum exterior grade ply is perfectly acceptable as a stringer or sole product. Remember plywood is graded from AA through to ZZ.
marine grade has the same timber but the glue is higher grade. CD grade ext ply is ok for BC is better with AA the best.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Ok I see a lot of answers. First off let me start here probably going to go with wood for now in my ALL Aluminum Boat instead of the all Aluminum transom I was wanting to do because of $$$$ . What I am really needing is the exact name and grade you guy's used in your STARCRAFT boats. Like I said went to HD and just looking at the tags it only shows price and size no grade or what ever. Looking at sanded it seems to be a lot better than just normal plywood no voids and the laments are also better looking no voids. So what do I need to go with?? According to this it's not avaiable in my area? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...X-Panel-3-4-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-690053/100478798

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
I went with ACX exterior grade Aruaco plywood from Menards, doubled up 3/4" for the transom and 1/2" for the floor. I would have liked 5/8" for the floor, but it wasn't available locally.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The standard exterior grade ply called 'AC' will work just fine in 3/4". AC refers to the sides, the A side is sanded with eyes covering the knots and the C side is raw looking, un-sanded with exposed knots and such which is perfect for laminating the two pieces. Look for the the stuff that has 7 layers, it's the strongest but 5 layer with few voids if good too for transoms. As far as decking goes, I will only use marine grade due to it's superior strength when a single sheet is laying flat. A transom needs strength sure but the forces on it are way different than say a 1/2" single sheet of decking.

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
The standard exterior grade ply called 'AC' will work just fine in 3/4". AC refers to the sides, the A side is sanded with eyes covering the knots and the C side is raw looking, un-sanded with exposed knots and such which is perfect for laminating the two pieces.
According to Wikipedia A grade has no defects (plugs).

Look for the the stuff that has 7 layers, it's the strongest but 5 layer with few voids if good too for transoms.
Standard exterior plywood has quite a few voids in the inner layers. I can not say that I have ever seen 7 layer 3/4" exterior plywood.

As far as decking goes, I will only use marine grade due to it's superior strength when a single sheet is laying flat.
Marine grade tends to have a better grade of wood on top and bottom. I has more, thinner veneers and is stronger for a given thickness, Substituting exterior grade for marine grade is a mistake ! Marine grade plywood uses a better grade of glue than exterior.

Regardless, plywood needs to be properly sealed (spar varnish) to maximize its life.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Ok I see a lot of answers. First off let me start here probably going to go with wood for now in my ALL Aluminum Boat instead of the all Aluminum transom I was wanting to do because of $$$$ . What I am really needing is the exact name and grade you guy's used in your STARCRAFT boats. Like I said went to HD and just looking at the tags it only shows price and size no grade or what ever. Looking at sanded it seems to be a lot better than just normal plywood no voids and the laments are also better looking no voids. So what do I need to go with?? According to this it's not avaiable in my area? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...0053/100478798

Thats what I've been using (Arauco). Try Lowe's or Menard's, my local Menard's had it on the shelf. You're in Ga right?

OK no Menards near you. Can HD or Lowe's order it for you?

Last edited:

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer
Well it shows Lowes and HD here doesn't sell Aruco any longer. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Yea no Menard's here

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My Chief was marine grade 1/2" for the decking and the 3/4" ACX for the transom, sun deck and seat boxes. My SN was all marine grade deck and transom. The transom's on the OB's are so small, it was 1/3rd the size of the Chiefs so I used the very expensive marine grade 3/4" and both were spared, primed, painted and spared again.Mistake or not it's not coming out for at least another 40 years. :heh:

low277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is Aracuco available again? I thought I read that their factory was being rebuilt after a fire?

I have used it in the past and it seemed like a very good quality plywood.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Available in some places, not in others. I've only seen it once 3.5hrs from the house, and next time I stoppped they didn't have any more.

MNhunter1

Ensign
I found it at my local Menards a few months ago. It was not in stock at my local Lowes, nor Home Depot.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm probably a bit late here, but... I used 3/4" MDO (medium density overlay) it is primarily used for outside signage so you know it made to take a beating. It was about $30 a sheet, but I have left scraps laying in the sun on my side yard for two years now and they still look great. Just thought I would throw this in, I'm very happy with my choice. You may have to find a specialty lumber yard though.