18' OB Chief to CC?

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK I need some input. Daydreaming at work and looking at all the SC Resto's has me thinking.

I like aluminum boats. There is a 18' Chief I may be able to get for cheap. I currently have a small CC boat, and love the CC layout. I boat on a large lake that can get choppy, the hull of the chief with its decent V and high sides looks appealing. I see the Chief threads with the tops off, and it looks like it would make a sweet large sized CC runabout.

Watermann's Looks awesome with no top!

So are the sides just too big to make it a easy family boat? We use it mostly for cruising and swimming.

And what size OB would actually move it? I cant seem to find any good weights on them. A modern (ish) 4 stroke would be sweet.

Heres the boat, its a basket case obviously
14756122023_e11c095cff_o.jpg

14735977772_080cd78572_o.jpg

Now I don't really have a budget for it, but love having a project.... Im sure the admiral will be less than enthused and will say our current boat is fine. But it seems to me I could take the winter and strip it down, remove the top, and put a new floor and transom in. And save for a new OB.

Thoughts?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so do you want to know if it can be done or are you wanting a bunch of guys to tell you its a smart thing to do so when your wife finds out you can point to your computer in self defense?

Last edited:

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
There's a couple build threads in here with the top left off. There's a 21' chief around my area that sold recently which was built into a CC. I believe his build thread was on the hull truth or on tidal fish boards.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
so do you want to know if it can be done or are you wanting a bunch of guys to tell you its a smart thing to do so when your wife finds out you can point to your computer in self defense?
I guess I want to know if its somewhat realistic. Any ideas on OB size required to move it?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Anything within reason is possible, I could see a CC being made of a Chief but not say a bass boat, unless you used a dip net with a long handle to bring the fish inside. :lol:

I would go no less than a 115 HP for this size of boat if you want to get her going good. Down as low as a 70 would move it along on a plane though. Personally I like my 205 HP Mercruiser. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anything within reason is possible, I could see a CC being made of a Chief but not say a bass boat, unless you used a dip net with a long handle to bring the fish inside. :lol:

I would go no less than a 115 HP for this size of boat if you want to get her going good. Down as low as a 70 would move it along on a plane though. Personally I like my 205 HP Mercruiser. :rolleyes:

Thanks, there is a pair of 200 2 strokes :) that ought to move it along.... Ill keep thinking about it.

Watermann

Java I think you have a problem, it could be MBS with a touch of Tin-itis. :lol:

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Java I think you have a problem, it could be MBS with a touch of Tin-itis. :lol:
No MBS yet.... But the Tin-itus is there. I miss my old 12'er, something about the tin being so basic and bulletproof....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
A lot of guys will disagree with me here for valid reasons, but I think just about any 3 cylinder OB is a good match for these hulls. I have a 70 on mine that'll push it to 34 mph with just me on board. Two other guys and it's 30-31. I think a new prop rated 60 HP 4 stroke would be exactly the same performance.

For me it's all about fuel economy, and these hulls are really light. I also don't pull skis or tubes, so that's a consideration.

If you want a lot of power, a 115 will easily top 40+, maybe 45+. I just don't require high speed for my use of the boat. Mine will plane at 17 mph at 3500 rpm. An 18 gallon tank lasts me 4-5 trips.

I guess I'm just saying that you have options...it's up to you and what you want.

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
A lot of guys will disagree with me here for valid reasons, but I think just about any 3 cylinder OB is a good match for these hulls. I have a 70 on mine that'll push it to 34 mph with just me on board. Two other guys and it's 30-31. I think a new prop rated 60 HP 4 stroke would be exactly the same performance. For me it's all about fuel economy, and these hulls are really light. I also don't pull skis or tubes, so that's a consideration. If you want a lot of power, a 115 will easily top 40+, maybe 45+. I just don't require high speed for my use of the boat. Mine will plane at 17 mph at 3500 rpm. An 18 gallon tank lasts me 4-5 trips. I guess I'm just saying that you have options...it's up to you and what you want.
Thanks for the input! I'd like to be able to tube if I wanted to. Seems the large outboards ie 100-200hp really aren't much more than the smaller ones in my area. There are lots of 200ish ones for sale.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the input! I'd like to be able to tube if I wanted to. Seems the large outboards ie 100-200hp really aren't much more than the smaller ones in my area. There are lots of 200ish ones for sale.

Max HP rating on the 18'ers is 140 (is it 120 on OB's?), but you can add additional bracing for more weight. Keep in mind that a v4 crossflow will almost double fuel consumption vs. a 3 cylinder looper. A v6 would likely cross the threshold of diminishing returns.

If you can find a Yamaha 2 stroke 90 HP, they're a "tuned up" triple that provide increased power with the same weight as a 70/75.

Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah I agree with the OB Chief guys and would add a 200 OB would not be a good idea on a 40 year old OB Chief without some sort of rebuild/reinforcement and even then I dunno your talking problems with LEO's (cap plate) and maybe even insurance companies. It's different with me and the I/O as far as weight and torque being applied to the boat hull and the insurance guy came out to do an inspection/take pics and didn't bat an eye to insure my Chief..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I guess I want to know if its somewhat realistic. Any ideas on OB size required to move it?

check this thread and see what Dad had on a 21' CC back in the 70's; twin 60's that he said no one could catch. Yours is an 18 so even lighter. After the conversion (and hull reinforcement after an incident with a log) is was a single 115 and still pushed well even with all the extra weight.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...er/s/starcraft-boats/651764-sc-fix-pics/page2

java230

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys. The 200 was just an example. Although that seems like the easiest to find 'large' OB around here.

I did see the CC with Twins, looks awesome , but I dont want to do twins, one is enough to keep up the maintenance on.

Someone else drug that chief home. Seller needed it gone bad, but I guess someone ponied up more than I was willing to pay.