My 1969 Starcraft Starchief.....all 18' of her

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yes I coated both sides and each coat I hit the edges giving them 4 to coats.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you Waterman. I started sparing tonight. This afternoon we pulled the decided the dry rotted tires needed replacing. Need to pack the wheel bearings and get new bearing buddies.

dozerII

Admiral
Making great progress Lanie, a tip for storing your Spar Varnish clean the lip in the top of the can real good put the lid on tight then sore it upside down, the varnish tends to skin over once you have air space in the can. Storing it upside down will put the skin at the bottom of the level of the spar, when you turn the can back over the skin will sink to the bottom.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Great tip Thanks. I've set a deadline for myself and it is coming soon. I've decided since I have everything out of the hull and clean I should give her a coat of RS. Can't hurt. She used to take on a few gallons of water. So maybe some of those leaks will slow

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
What's RS? Most people here use Gluvit to seal the rivets and seams inside the hull. Perhaps that's a comparable product?

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Lol Rustoleum. I want going to do anything. Figured better than nothing

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think it will bond to bare aluminum without self-etching primer. The zinc chromate stuff.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Lanie - Why don't you put some water in the empty hull? It might show where the leak(s) are.

Watermann

^^^ Yup just don't turn her into a kiddie pool :lol: The weight of water can damage the unsupported bare hull.

Oh man setting a tight deadline makes for taking shortcuts and fixing leaks isn't one of those things one should overlook. My take on having leaks is that your boat is sinking and a couple gallons is not a slow seeping type of leak one can just live with like say just a few ounces

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
I always thought a lot of it could be from the plug and wet swimmers (tubers). I don't think we bought a new plug every year. ... you know the old saying if it ain't broke. Lol. Deadlines aren't a great thing. Hubby and I don't have many days of together without planning a few weeks in advance. This Thursday is it. Going to put in the new foam, lay the floors down, may put the sides back up until I find the right vinyl I want. I will check for leaks and do it right, after I take my dad out on Thursday. I only hope he is well enough.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
The side panels are important...they support the chines, which are weak to begin with. I'd definitely put them back regardless of their looks. Good luck getting everything back together!

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
I will probably get them in tomorrow. Went crazy busy today forecast for rain Sunday. I got the "Green Lowes" foam cut and in place. 2 coats of Spar on everything edges probably three. Have most of floor back in. Need to cut piece to fit in stern and cut opening for bilge. Question? I have enough plywood to put a full piece (less bilge opening) as a second layer for gas tanks and battery. I have 3 metal OMC and one new plastic tank. Would that be too much additional weight. Should I cover the floor behind the sliding screen doors with something. That area was always a nasty mess with sliding the heavy tanks in and out. I am so thankful for everyone's help. I always ask my dad but this is his surprise. :)

Watermann

Looking good with the smell of drying spar in the air. This is what I did for my Sea Nymph's 6 gal fuel tank. It's a automotive drip pan like you would put under a car in the garage. I secured it to the deck and put in a strap and buckle.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a great idea. I thought about a piece of linoleum. Just screw it down. Give it that classy 60's look. Haha. My tanks never move but I like your idea.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up linoleum at HD. Going to screw it down with washers so it won't tear. Installed the Donor top That I got on CL. I think it is about 10" too long. Will cut it off some.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
We got the floor screwed in and set the side panels in place to the sound of Thunder. Barely got her covered before the downpour.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Installed side panels, linoleum in back for gas cans, replaced sliding doors put down rug bolted in seats. Cut top bimini down 6" fir perfect. Started motor sounded great.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Installed side panels, linoleum in back for gas cans, replaced sliding doors put down rug bolted in seats. Cut top bimini down 6" fit perfect. Started motor sounded great.

Lanie J

Seaman Apprentice
Wed night called my dad and asked him if he wanted to go for a boat ride. He couldn't believe the motor still ran. So he made plans to meet at Long Level at 1 the next day. (We had a long conversation that night about things that needed done on boat that I had already done.)