Kicker motor on my 16ss, can it be done? (pics)

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
Just curious if there is enough room for a kicker motor on my 16ss? I have access to a couple old ones, a 6HP and a 9.9HP. one a johnson and one an evinrude. My 16ss has the max motor size on it, a 90Hp etec, just seems like it takes up a lot of room and when the steering (rod?) moves it takes up a lot of room. Here is a pic of the back of my 16ss, does it look do-able?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Where's the 55# trolling motor going:
Anyone use a tansom trolling motor on 16ss?

You'd probably want a kicker bracket to keep the motor up & out of the water w/out having to leave it at full tilt:
550021_0.jpg

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
Where's the 55# trolling motor going:
Anyone use a tansom trolling motor on 16ss?

You'd probably want a kicker bracket to keep the motor up & out of the water w/out having to leave it at full tilt:
550021_0.jpg

I'm docked on a creek off of Lake Erie. Since the boat is small there are a lot of days I can't go out on Erie, so I fish the creek. I've been using the trolling motor to fish the creek since it has some very shallow areas. I take the trolling motor off after every use since I keep it docked and don't want anyone to steal it.I'm hoping a gas kicker will allow me to troll for some walleye out on Erie.

Are there negatives to leaving it at full tilt instead of installing a bracket?

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It would likely get in the way of the Etec if clamped on the transom, JB is right about the bracket being the best way

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
Well shucks, not what I was hoping to hear, but if that's the right way then that's how I need to do it. Any suggestions on kicker mount?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Yep, bracket and tie rod connector so you can steer with the wheel at the helm. The splashwells are too deep on these to use a tiller, even a u-joint extension is cumbersome. Like those dudes ^^^ said, you need the bracket because your main engine's steering arm will be in the way. It's nice to have the height options, too, dependent on water conditions. The photo doesn't show the bracket setup, but it works fine on my rig with the bracket.

PS: that's a very nice main engine. Major e-tec envy :D

M2bHDC4.jpg

There's a stainless version of this product that's more than twice the price. The zinc one has held up fine for me over two seasons with hundreds of hours of trolling use. But stainless is better for sure.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
I'll be sure to pick up that steering connector kit, thanks for the link.

Are all kicker mount brackets created equal? Any recommendations on brands or models?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I'll be sure to pick up that steering connector kit, thanks for the link.

Are all kicker mount brackets created equal? Any recommendations on brands or models?

They're all rated for specific engine weight. If it's close, I'd go to the heavier rating. The four stroke models are pricey but will support more weight, especially if you trailer with the motor (not recommended by manufacturer, but can be done with additional ratchet straps, etc...).

I can't give you a brand because mine was purchased locally and has no markings on it. It's almost identical to the Garelick 15 hp 2 stroke models. They're all pretty similar.

detroit_fan

Seaman Apprentice
They're all rated for specific engine weight. If it's close, I'd go to the heavier rating. The four stroke models are pricey but will support more weight, especially if you trailer with the motor (not recommended by manufacturer, but can be done with additional ratchet straps, etc...).

I can't give you a brand because mine was purchased locally and has no markings on it. It's almost identical to the Garelick 15 hp 2 stroke models. They're all pretty similar.

ok thanks. just wanted to make sure there weren't any known junk brands to stay away from. i'll be sure to buy one rated for more than my motor. I keep it docked so I don't plan to trailer with it on. I'll just take it off when i pull the boat out.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope this is where I can ask question about my kicker bracket. I recently bought a 20 foot Blue Water Monte Carlo and then bought an 8 hp Honda long shaft kicker which I mounted on the swim step. It puts the prop 30 inches behind the transom and well into the water but not below the hull. For that, I would need a 36 inch shaft and can't imagine anyone makes those. With my present set up, I can get between 1 and 2 mph with a lot of cavatation at near full throttle. I want to be able to run around 3-4 mph to troll. I can't see how I might mount the motor on a jacking plate as the area below the swim step is curved and it also appears the Honda would tip up out of the water. Help?

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope this is where I can ask question about my kicker bracket. I recently bought a 20 foot Blue Water Monte Carlo and then bought an 8 hp Honda long shaft kicker which I mounted on the swim step. It puts the prop 30 inches behind the transom and well into the water but not below the hull. For that, I would need a 36 inch shaft and can't imagine anyone makes those. With my present set up, I can get between 1 and 2 mph with a lot of cavatation at near full throttle. I want to be able to run around 3-4 mph to troll. I can't see how I might mount the motor on a jacking plate as the area below the swim step is curved and it also appears the Honda would tip up out of the water. Help?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lootas it would be best to start your own thread in the boating questions forum to get the best answers rather than trying to tag along on another thread.