Drilling Transom for Ladder Bracket

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am freaking out about drilling a couple of holes in my transom for a ladder. I have 1/2" stainless bolts, washer and lock nut so I am good there, but I have a couple of questions
  1. Should I drill 1/2" holes, seal the wood with epoxy (what kind ?), let dry, then apply 4200 under the washers and around the shank of the bolt ?
  2. Should I drill 5/8" hole, goop up the bolt and washer with 4200 ?
I'll be using larger washers on the inside, like a 3/4" and then a 1/2" or would I be better with a 1/2" thick 2" wide piece of aluminum long enough to go at least an inch past the holes ?

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
IMO I would drill the 1/2" hole and goop the 4200 in the hole. It's messy, but then use your finger to spread it around the hole to cover all the wood. I then add some more 4200 on the bolt and install. 5/8" hole wouldn't be bad either.

I hate messing with that 4200/5200 but it's good stuff. Clean up the bolt head and washer like you were re caulking a shower. (mineral spirits will cut the 4200, but can dull your paint so use sparingly)

The inside washers do need to be large enough to spread the load..... 2" X 2" piece of flat stock aluminum would work or stack some washers.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I would drill out the holes making sure to get the 15 degree angle as close as possible, then use 5200 rather than 4200 for water line stuff. Squirt 5200 in the hole and use a screw driver to slather it all around the holes to make sure they're coated completely. I wouldn't worry about putting the stuff on the bolt then, you'll just have to clean it back up as it scrapes off around the hole. Put a bead around the hole on both the inside and outside of the transom. On the inside I would get some SS fender washers or thick AL. I saved my 3", 1/8" thick pieces that I used the hole saw to make the cut out for my dash. I planed on repurposing them into washers for my swim ladder.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'd slather up the holes, bolts, washers, etc. with 3M5200, tighten everything, then clean up the excess 5200 with paper towels and paint thinner.

I have 1/2" stainless bolts, washer and lock nut so I am good there, but I have a couple of questions

That's a pretty stout bolt for attaching a ladder... Are you sure 1/2" bolts are needed? I'd think 1/4" bolts would be sufficient, and probably what the ladder hardware is pre-drilled for.

I used 4- 1/2" bolts for a 24x60" swim platform, and I think that 1/2" bolts were a bit overkill for my swim platform application. The ladder I used, it was pre-drilled for 1/4" bolts.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ I agree with using 1/4" bolts.. Motors get mounted with 1/2".

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah 1/4" looks pretty darn whimpy when you tip the scales over 250, I upped mine to 3/8". I agree that 1/2" is too big, Most stern eyes are 3/8" and you can pull a boat with them.